PDA

View Full Version : Moab Back Again

gibson 787
09-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Well folks, the final parts arrived yesterday to complete my 2009 - 2010 moab conversion, which i guess I can now rename as a Firecat TR1. New parts included axles, Rotocups, Acu-Trak cam, idler wheel and importantly, new 2011solid core limbs.

First thing I noticed with the limbs, was they were thicker in the section from just before the fork down to the axle end. A lot more meat than the 2010 limbs but not quite the thickness of my 09 Alien in that area. Anyway, I think this should go a long way in reducing limb twist, which has been the obvious cause of cracks in the fork.

Another difference regarding the new cam and idler wheel, is that the finnish is as near to perfect as you can get. No sharp edges and the groove in the idler appears to be considerably wider and smoother which may eliminate the need to serve in that area.

Got her tuned up and sighted in this morning and by lunch time was hitting inch and a half dots on my bag target at 20 yards, fairly consistantly I might add and that's pretty good for me! Have to say the bow is shooting magnificently, ultra quiet and almost no hand shock.

I have the limbs a half turn from being maxed out and on the scale it shows 70# on the nose. I have the 30" DL module on even though my DL is only 29". Reason is, I move the Draw Stop to a point that shortens DL and gives me let-off of about 60%. I think all the shooting I've been doing with my 55# X-200 recurve, has me liking the feeling of holding onto a few extra pounds at full draw.

I really wanted to see how these new 2011 solid core limbs stacked up performance wise against the old ones, so I put her through the chrono.
At 70# 30"DL with 440gr arrow, I was averaging 273fps which IBOs to just over 300fps. For your interest, I have a brass nock, loop and cat's whiskers on the string, Limbsavers and serving at CCS and over idler wheel.

The speeds are very similar to what I was getting pre conversion, possibly two or three fps slower, but hey, I would gladly swap a little speed for a whole lotta confidence in knowing my bow was gonna hold together!

In all honesty, when comparing this bow to my Alien, and other top line bows I've shot, it's really well and truly up there with the best of em!

Hope I havn't bored the tripe out of everyone.

Destroyer
09-20-2010, 09:06 PM
which i guess I can now rename as a Firecat TR1.

I like Moab TR1 better, unique!

No sharp edges and the groove in the idler appears to be considerably wider and smoother which may eliminate the need to serve in that area.

That would be good, less hassle.

At 70# 30"DL with 440gr arrow, I was averaging 273fps

Got to be happy with that, I would.

I have a brass nock

Loop under the arrow then?

gibson 787
09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Loop under the arrow then?

Correct, gives a more even tiller and yes, 273fps is fine with me.

On another matter, I was thinking about making a nice traditional hand carved leather back quiver with matching arm guard and tab and was speaking to a lady from Greenhalgh Tannery out you way today. And by the way, when you want to contact me, for the sake of less hassle, I'll PM my email address.

TIE
Dave

alex
09-21-2010, 06:21 AM
That's good news, Gibson! I HOPE i won't need it, but it's good to know my MOAB can be fixed if needed :)
Oh, by the way, did you send the old parts to Martin or they just gave you the new ones?

Spiker
09-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Dave - good to hear the MOAB is back up again. Ya sound a bit happier now.:D

gibson 787
09-21-2010, 12:33 PM
did you send the old parts to Martin or they just gave you the new ones?

Yes Alex, they require that you send back the old parts.

gibson 787
09-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Dave - good to hear the MOAB is back up again. Ya sound a bit happier now.

Yeah, thanks Scott, a lot happier, not so happy to see your team get knocked out in the prelims tho. Ahh, there's always next year.

alex
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Yes Alex, they require that you send back the old parts.

That's fair, but quite inconvenient for their customers out of the USA. But when you have a shooting bow again you would forget some troubles i guess :)

gibson 787
09-21-2010, 01:22 PM
But when you have a shooting bow again you would forget some troubles i guess

That's for sure. Lately I've been a little down about shooting my compounds and got out my old X-200 recurve and have been enjoying getting back into shooting traditional without a sight. I found it's like riding a bike, you never forget how to do it. My fingers are a bit sore though!

alex
09-21-2010, 01:43 PM
:) I've deformed my index and middle fingers this summer - i shoot my recurve and horsebow with bare fingers and payed for it :D

Destroyer
09-21-2010, 06:34 PM
not so happy to see your team get knocked out in the prelims tho.

go the saints!!! :D

Destroyer
09-21-2010, 07:07 PM
X-200 recurve and have been enjoying getting back into shooting traditional without a sight.

Bit of a sea change me thinks, a lot less hassle. :)

with bare fingers

:eek: I can imagine your fingers mate, nasty!

gibson 787
09-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I've deformed my index and middle fingers this summer - i shoot my recurve and horsebow with bare fingers and payed for it

You've got tough fingers, tried that a few times and ended up with a numb middle finger for a week:mad:

gibson 787
09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
go the saints!!!

All the way with you there, anyone but Collingwood!:mad:

alex
09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
You've got tough fingers, tried that a few times and ended up with a numb middle finger for a week:mad:

My bows aren't so heavy - 45 and 55#. I've tried 4 tabs - 2 factory ones and 2 specialy made by me to fit precisely, but i don't find shooting with them comfortable. The same with the gloves (haven't tested a good quality one though).

alex
09-22-2010, 09:46 AM
:eek: I can imagine your fingers mate, nasty!

:) Hope they'll heal during the winter. I'll try to withstand the temptation and not to shoot a lot till the spring because my neck hurts me lately. But i have about 2 months still :D

polaris754
09-22-2010, 03:01 PM
glad to here ur back on again gibby, sounds like the improvements will do the trick:D:D

gibson 787
09-22-2010, 07:35 PM
glad to here ur back on again gibby, sounds like the improvements will do the trick

Thanks Polaris 754, think they will it's sure shooting well;)

gibson 787
09-22-2010, 07:41 PM
The same with the gloves (haven't tested a good quality one though).

Like you, I use self modified tabs. As for gloves, I 've tested a few including good quality ones and do not like any.

I do need something to protect them though, or I won't be able to finger pick my guitar and that would be tragic:(

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 03:39 AM
anyone but Collingwood!:mad:

Amazing how many ppl have the same view, myself included! :D

I'll try to withstand the temptation and not to shoot a lot till the spring because my neck hurts me lately.

Neck too? Not good, not good. What about shooting your compound?

Like you, I use self modified tabs. As for gloves, I 've tested a few including good quality ones and do not like any.

Never liked gloves, always use tabs. I seem to get a cleaner release with a tab, plus when using a glove I use to get all sorts of wonderful tastes in my mouth.

elkslayer4x5
09-23-2010, 07:40 AM
when using a glove I use to get all sorts of wonderful tastes in my mouth.

Methinks that perhaps you where anchoring a little too deep into your smile!! :D:D:D

alex
09-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I kind of dislike not to feel the string - even with a homemade tab that fits my fingers i'm not 100% sure in my shot. May be because of my shooting style - no aiming at all and quick releasing the arrow letting the string slide on my fingers. (hmm, i guess i didn't explain it clear enough, but can't do it better :o ).
Gibson, may be if you're so attached to guitar playing, you should think of putting the plastic tube on your string that allows you to shoot with bare fingers - sorry, but forgot its name. I can't find it here, but i'd put it on my trad bows - some extra weight and noise ain't a big problem for me.
Destroyer, you're right - the smell of the chemicals used to process the leather is nasty :cool: About the compound - i don't find it cool to shoot this beast in our backyard after the 60,70 and 100 metres shots made during the summer :D

gibson 787
09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
may be if you're so attached to guitar playing, you should think of putting the plastic tube on your string

I may try that Alex. Think it's called 'no glove' or something like that and I believe some are made from wood.

Reading about your instinctive style, the speed at which you shoot, I guess the fingers are not holding onto the string for too long. With me, I also shoot instinctively, but hold my draw for about 4 to 5 seconds:(

gibson 787
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
when using a glove I use to get all sorts of wonderful tastes in my mouth.

Yeah, I use tabs as well, BUT, the tab I use has calf skin with hair on it, gives you a nice release except I end up with a mouth full of hair on occasions. Yuk!:eek:

alex
09-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I may try that Alex. Think it's called 'no glove' or something like that and I believe some are made from wood.

Reading about your instinctive style, the speed at which you shoot, I guess the fingers are not holding onto the string for too long. With me, I also shoot instinctively, but hold my draw for about 4 to 5 seconds:(

When i try to hold longer my accuracy goes bye-bye :D I was watching Youtube videos of Rick Welsh training archers in his archery school and he kind of counts to 3 before the shot, but this doesn't work for me. My best shots come with the least thinking and aiming.

gibson 787
09-23-2010, 02:10 PM
My best shots come with the least thinking and aiming.

I know where you're coming from, instincts are not meant to be interfered with by thought!

oncechance
09-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I know where you're coming from, instincts are not meant to be interfered with by thought!

Totally agree.

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Methinks that perhaps you where anchoring a little too deep into your smile!!

LOL! :D

With me, I also shoot instinctively, but hold my draw for about 4 to 5 seconds

Like a compound, same here. I shoot better when I don't hold, just come to my anchor and release.