PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding On New Bow

Golfbuddy45
09-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Can anyone help me identify the year age of my old Ben Pearson Rogue? I have had it since I was a youngun many years ago. It has to be at least early 70's. I already have a great shooting '75 Martin Firecat with the black frame and black ProSeries limbs. I am thinking of selling or trading the Ben Pearson for a Target Competition Recurve in a lighter draw weight - maybe 30-35 lbs. I like the Martin Aurora but that is way more level than I need for target plinking. I do not hunt any more and think the old Ben P has good years left in her. It has some marks from use but in perfect working order and checked out at local archery shop. It is rated at 50 pounds and loads up very strong even for my burly arms. 58" amo, 50# @ 28" Ser# 77431-216

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/BenPearsonRogue1.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/BenPearsonRogue2.jpg

http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae70/Golfbuddy45/BenPearsonRogue3-1.jpg

Destroyer
09-21-2010, 07:15 PM
Can anyone help me identify the year age of my old Ben Pearson Rogue?

Archerytalk would be a better place to find out.

I am thinking of selling or trading the Ben Pearson for a Target Competition Recurve in a lighter draw weight - maybe 30-35 lbs.

Don't no how much of a trade in you will get, eBay might be a better choice. Getting a 25# - 30# target bow is a good idea. :)

alex
09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
You can buy a cheaper target bow (Samick, Mohegan, Perfect Line) and keep this beauty :) Don't know what it costs in USA, but i'd pay what the seller wants if it was here in Bulgaria.

Golfbuddy45
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Alex - those are amazing words to hear. Just for my information are these kind of bows not available in your country? We here in THE STATES sometimes do not understand what is available elsewhere.

I might post this on the ARCHERY TALK too as suggested by Destroyer.

Thanks

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 03:48 AM
We here in THE STATES sometimes do not understand what is available elsewhere.

Its really amazing to see what is available in the US, even just through ebay. So many bows. :)

alex
09-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Golfbuddy, finding OLD recurves is almost absolutely impossible here - as you may know we lived in a communistic regime from 1944 to 1989. A simple example what this means - you can buy bananas only one day in the year - 24th of December, this way the authorities help you not think about such disgusting capitalistic things like Christmas (you wait on a line for the bananas 6-8-10 hours, because they are sold only in one shop in the city) :rolleyes: So no bows except those for the Olympic archery, which are not sold in the shops.
Nowadays there are traditional bows of course, but archery isn't very popular and they are a few - Martin and Bear bows and some made in Korea and Germany. Also the cheaper ones from Taiwan.
I guess you'll find this a little (or very) boring to read, but i couldn't explain it well if shorter :)

Montalaar
09-23-2010, 12:03 PM
Germany.

Tell me more. Please.

alex
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Tell me more. Please.

I can't say much. The name of the bow i saw was Hunter, but am not sure about the maker. It is a take-down model for 180 euros and tell you the truth i was not impressed at all. I'm not even sure that such a bow can be made in Germany - it is sold in a gun shop and the salesman doesn't know much ... knows nothing :cool: of bows so may be he's wrong about the country where it comes from. The company has a website - the name is Vertex - you can have a look at it, but the last time i saw it there was no info about the bows they offer. Sorry, but now it's too late and i'm too sleepy to search it :)

Destroyer
09-23-2010, 08:06 PM
Don't know it but it could be another 'made by ragim/samick' bow. Perhaps its a Chinese bow?

Montalaar
09-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Samick does not longer produce wooden bows.

There is now company named 'Vertex' building bows in germany.

There is a company named 'Bearpaw' in germany. They sell loads of stuff to the US, too. Everything they produce is made in China.

alex
09-24-2010, 04:03 AM
Simon, Vertex is the bulgarian company that sells those bows. Just looked at their site - it's pathetic with no info about the bows. May be you are right about Bearpaw, but their site doesn't have a "products" section - very suspicious. However, that's not important. I'm not picky, but the bows i've seen from them are no good - Samick and even Perfect line look like high end bows compared to these ones.

Montalaar
09-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Bearpaw Products:
http://217.160.228.19/cgi-bin/WebObjects/seat1WAWI?zielmodul=SchaufensterV&loginName=Gast0

There are some quite unique things they make that have a certain sense. But around 95% of their products are simply copied and cheaper because they produce them in China. Nice example: You may know the 'Powderdisk' made by Booster. I could not live without it anymore. Bearpaw makes a copy of it which does not even come close....

alex
09-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah, that's it. Here's the bow i was talking about: http://217.160.228.19/cgi-bin/WebObjects/seat1WAWI.woa/3/wo/U34000fT300Ln100p6/4.10.3
58 euros! Here they sell it for 180 :mad:

Montalaar
09-24-2010, 12:12 PM
180 is pretty expensive in any way. You can get a decent Hoyt recurve with limbs from around 2006 for the same money. Or a used bow from 2009 for around 250...

Compared to the USA it still is quite expensive here.

alex
09-24-2010, 12:48 PM
At least you have some options. I was explaining to Spiker today that the archers in Bulgaria are in a catch 22 - the prices are high because there are a few customers and the customers are few because the prices are high. I can't see an exit :( And by the way the average salary here is about 250-300 euros per month.
But let's be positive - this gives you an opportunity for creative thinking :D Just finished my redesigned take-down bow and uploaded a video in Youtube today. Not very impressing but i like it. A couple of dozens more and i'll make a decent bow :)

Montalaar
09-24-2010, 01:50 PM
I have already watched it. Subscribed your channel...

alex
09-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks! I think i'm subscribed to your channel already, if not i'll do it after a brief check :D

Destroyer
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah, that's it. Here's the bow i was talking about: http://217.160.228.19/cgi-bin/WebObjects/seat1WAWI.woa/3/wo/U34000fT300Ln100p6/4.10.3

Link doesn't work, all I get is a 'login' button and:

"Info: Das System hat Ihre Sitzung automatisch beendet.
Zum erneuten Anmelden klicken Sie bitte nachfolgenden Button."

Everything they produce is made in China.

Like everything else these day's. Doesn't bother me as long as the quality is good. :)

Montalaar
09-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Link doesn't work, all I get is a 'login' button and:

"Info: Das System hat Ihre Sitzung automatisch beendet.
Zum erneuten Anmelden klicken Sie bitte nachfolgenden Button."

Like everything else these day's. Doesn't bother me as long as the quality is good. :)

Yeah, You got logged out of the System.

'Info: The system has terminated this session. To login again please click onto the button.'

No problem with made in china at all. I can only laugh about those people crying about products made in China but using an iPhone, iPad, iPod or any other product containing electronic stuff like.... a computer.

alex
09-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeap, the link doesn't work anymore. Nevermind, the bow is an ordinary take-down of the lower class. Still if it was 60 euros but not 180 i'd buy it. The price of the Chinese products is their best feature, and you get what you've payed for. The only real crap made in China i've ever had was a set of rasps and files, everything else is good enough if used reasonable. And i don't even speak about the electronics - almost as good as the high priced (and work with the pirates formats too ;) )

Destroyer
09-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I can only laugh about those people crying about products made in China but using an iPhone, iPad, iPod or any other product containing electronic stuff like.... a computer.

Yeah, the made in china stigma really doesn't apply anymore. Found bows made in other countries to be lower quality and some how cheaper? :confused:

Alex, what DW are your homemade bows? Loved the forest in "Some Recurve Bowshooting". :)

alex
09-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Alex, what DW are your homemade bows? Loved the forest in "Some Recurve Bowshooting". :)

That's a tough question, Destroyer. I haven't measured them and i don't draw them to 28" because they won't survive it. My guess is: the juniper bow - around 30-35#; the two blackthorn bows-25#; the hazel bow - may be around 60# when i draw it to its limits; the take-down bow - 45-50#. I think i draw them to 22-24" - tried to pull a just made mapel bow to my full DW and it broke immediately though fiberglass backed :mad: It was a beautiful one - have left the bark under the fiberglass and it has a nice natural camo ... I'll try to fix it with a piece of PVC pipe :confused:
The forest is really great - pines, firs, spruces and a few beech trees and oaks. Glad you liked it. It's my favourite place at the most beautiful bulgarian mountain. :)

Destroyer
09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
The bows are a decent DW considering how short you draw them.

tried to pull a just made mapel bow to my full DW and it broke immediately though fiberglass backed

Hope you can fix it. That's probably one of the things stopping me from making a bow, after all that work and bang! :eek:

the most beautiful bulgarian mountain.

Yep, beautiful. :)

alex
09-27-2010, 06:53 AM
That's probably one of the things stopping me from making a bow, after all that work and bang! :eek:

Yeah, very, very annoying and unpleasant :( Have broken 4 homemade bows and two sets of limbs for the take-down and it's always nasty. The only good thing is that you haven't given $$$ for them :D

Destroyer
09-27-2010, 07:18 PM
The only good thing is that you haven't given $$$ for them

Agree. With the prices some of them are charging these days............:(

damascusdave
10-23-2010, 08:33 AM
Golfbuddy, finding OLD recurves is almost absolutely impossible here - as you may know we lived in a communistic regime from 1944 to 1989. A simple example what this means - you can buy bananas only one day in the year - 24th of December, this way the authorities help you not think about such disgusting capitalistic things like Christmas (you wait on a line for the bananas 6-8-10 hours, because they are sold only in one shop in the city) :rolleyes: So no bows except those for the Olympic archery, which are not sold in the shops.
Nowadays there are traditional bows of course, but archery isn't very popular and they are a few - Martin and Bear bows and some made in Korea and Germany. Also the cheaper ones from Taiwan.
I guess you'll find this a little (or very) boring to read, but i couldn't explain it well if shorter :)

On the contrary, we sometimes tend to forget how blessed we are in North America. The information about bananas is particularly interesting to me since I eat a banana virtually every morning.

Would you be able to bring a bow that you bought on eBay into the country?
I have no doubt that shipping would be very expensive, but bow prices right now are pretty deflated due to the economic downturn. A very nice 1965 Bear Polar just sold this week for under 125 USD. The Polar is most often found in light draw weights and in lengths up to 69 inches. Another bow that is a great one for someone just starting out, and someone with lots of experience as well, is the Damon Howatt Ventura. It usually comes in 66 inch length and mine shoots very well. They too sell in the 100 to 150 USD range.

Also check out my friend Dennis's website as it may be easier to get things shipped from Canada. Google Git-R-Done archery.

Once again thanks for the reality check,

DDave

alex
10-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Dave, the shipping from the States and the taxes almost double the price of the bow. And it's not sure whether the bow will come undamaged. May be only a take-down bow is safe to send.
The bananas story is 20 years old - now we have almost everything, just some things (like bows) aren't as numerous as in the US :)