PDA

View Full Version : pro shop/ broad head and vanes

J758
09-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey guys! I went and got my broad heads. Magnus 2 blades. I'm still new to our sport. Been shootin almost a year before I ever put any thought into it. I shoot 4 inch vanes. I got some free 2 inch blazer vanes. To try out. Cause I do have fairly light arrows. I'm not gonna hunt with them. Cause I'm set up how I wanna be but I did have a old arrow so I fletched it to try out. Honestly. What's the difference. Does anyone think 2 inch vanes are better than 4 and if so for what reason? Only thing different I ever do is play with arroiw weight and keep my sights dialed for my hunting weight. Ok. Enough said bout that, secondly. My friend swears up and down BH must be inline with fletchin. I think this is silly and a matter of prefrence. Also I plan to get a new string after season. Any one got any advice?

dragonsfire311
09-24-2010, 12:25 PM
depends on a lot of factors. I shoot 100 gr Crimson Talon XT broadheads which mid atlantic archery states they are best used with 3 inch fletchings ( due to the spin stabalization generated from the curved blades) although they will work with any length. I use 4 inch and they fly fine however I shoot heavy alum arrows to hunt with. BH alined with fletch is good but I've never had any adverse effects from it not being so.

Destroyer
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Does anyone think 2 inch vanes are better than 4 and if so for what reason?

The big plus for the 2" vanes is they're shorter - less time for contact with rest, catches less cross wind, lighter so a few faster fps. They increase your arrows FOC (meh imho) and I find them easier to fletch as well. Plus they look :cool:.

Bad points are there a higher profile so you can have clearance issues with the rest, cables,etc. They can be noisy sometimes which is very bad for hunting. I don't think they stabilize a 2 blade as well as a 4" vane, imho.

I'm using 4" AAE Elites atm.

must be inline with fletchin

Rubbish. Might be good for someones 'confidence' but I never have and probably never will line them up. Never seen ANY evidence that shows a benefit.

Also I plan to get a new string after season. Any one got any advice?

There is lots of custom string makers that will make you a new set, cheap too. Martins new string are looking good though, not sure when they will be available as a replacement yet though.

:)

Ehunter
09-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I think the whole alignment theory is a myth. I've shot arrows that had the broadheads lines up perfectly, as well as some that were completely out of line. Both shot the same. As long as the bow is tuned well, and the arrow to broadhead alignment is good, there's no difference. But, taking the time to align the fletchings with the blades give some poeple more to tinker with. lol I shoot Martin Fury 3 inch vanes, 2inch Quik SPins, and 2.5 inch Fusion vanes. Depending on the arrow I'm shooting. They all stabilize a broadhead equally as well. The Fury and Fusion vanes are a bit quieter though. For a string, I just got new string and cables from H&M and love them! Great strings, and cheap. Set for my Firecat costed $45 including shipping.

baerman
10-01-2010, 04:51 AM
Hey J758,
Years ago, I read a theory put forth by a well know "expert" as being...fletching alignment with the blades of the broadhead is based upon the wind turbulence. Again, the thinking of that author was "...the turbulence created by the broadhead should be in alignment with the turbulence created by the fletching, minimizing the number of turbulence creating protuberences on the shaft of the arrow......". Is it a valid point? Perhaps if we were measuring an arrow launched from a machine in a highly controlled situation, and then probably by a few thousandths of an inch. In the real world? Well, if you feel more confident in the results because of alignment, then do it. Or....if someone with LOTS of practical experience, like the pros on this site, say that it's better, then it probably is. Otherwise, do as you please.

SonnyThomas
10-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Just about anything today is a matter of personal perference.

As for aligning the blades to the vanes, this goes back to Traditional bows, stick or recurve.

Vanes, again, are a personal perference. However, I did tests of short vanes. All proved excellent for guidance. I fletched them as per instructions, 5 degrees and full helical.

By suggestion, Blazers, Twisters and Fusions are not to be fletched full helical, but this due to supposedly robbing down range velocity. Well, I'm not shooting past 40 yards when hunting, so just how much speed is being robbed? Not much.

timtim146
10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Well about bh being aligned to the vanes it matters what heads you shoot. My cabelas fx3s shoot the exact same as my fp if I align them to the vanes. If I don't align them they shoot about 6 inches to the right.but most others I've had didn't matter

Montalaar
10-01-2010, 07:15 AM
Well...

I have a dozen of different SilverFlames and i don't care about the orientation. They all fly the same. But even worse: My arrows are 32" long, the BH with insert weighs 190 grains and i use only 3 Miniblazers. That is 1.5" fletchings.

And guess what?

Yeah. It works.

alex
10-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Simon, don't want to be nasty, but why do you have A DOZEN Silver flames when you can't bowhunt in Germany? ;)
P.S. I also have a dozen broadheads and i'm not a hunter at all... This addictive sport makes us do strange things. :D

Montalaar
10-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Oh... I love them... Unfortunately i never bought a 100gr one and GermanKinetics closed yesterday. I have also a bunch of Magnus BH but i am not that satisfied by them. Nothing in comparison.

Just fyi Alex (maybe you are itnerested.. :D ):

I got the following SF-BH:
- 125gr
- 150gr
- 150gr XL (those XL ones are REALLY nasty)
- 180gr
- 180gr XL
- 210gr

and a special
- 140 gr unique one.

alex
10-01-2010, 01:37 PM
GermanKinetics closed yesterday

:eek: Why's that?!? They make ... made one of the best broadheads available. Quite wise of you to buy a dozen - their price now will fly to the skies (especially of the unique one).

Montalaar
10-01-2010, 02:24 PM
German bureaucrazy, and greedy financial office.

The license to sell those would have been much more expensive than the gain from selling those high quality products.

Destroyer
10-01-2010, 08:47 PM
but this due to supposedly robbing down range velocity

Never heard that one before. I would think that full helical on 5" vanes would be worse again if it was true.

justin
10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
im under the impression that blazers stabilize the arrow with lift off of the trailing edge of the vane. so any drag used to spin the arrow is just slowing it down.....

alex
10-02-2010, 05:21 AM
German bureaucrazy, and greedy financial office.

The license to sell those would have been much more expensive than the gain from selling those high quality products.

May be they'll move the business to the US...

warwizzard
10-02-2010, 05:32 AM

yeah we could use the work around here lol.

J758
10-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I went with 2 inch blazer vanes. Made one practice arrow and love it! Hunt with 4s though. After season. In jan. I'm gonna go to blazers. And I didn't line up my BHs either. Worked great! Paper tuned em. Just to make sure. And I even shot a deer! Also I have pics of coke tabs I've shot off the can. Just gotta figure out how to load em!

Montalaar
10-02-2010, 03:12 PM

I know the owner. There will be no original Silverflame any longer. Every Broadhead was handmade by him, at least the finetuning and last finish. It was a one mans business.

Destroyer
10-03-2010, 04:39 AM
And I even shot a deer!

Congratulations on the deer, look forward to the pics. :)

Montalaar
10-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Since 2008 or so.

They are not illegal but you are not allowed to carry them with you. There are some exceptions from that. If you need to carry one or if you have to work with it you are allowed to do so.

Most people even do not know....

Destroyer
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Getting bad here too. Police are allowed to search anybody without cause for a knife. Have one and you get a $1000 fine. Apparently our state is a 'special' state and we need extra protecting, and its not a invasion of privacy, apparently. :rolleyes:

Montalaar
10-04-2010, 11:26 PM
What protections does Australia need? Smuggling coral reefs? Bootlegging desert sands? :P

A lot more scary is that the german home office wants to infiltrate any PC with a trojan to be able to make a house search without even entering. Actually it is allowed if there is danger of collusion. But they planned to expand it.. Me does not like it. :/

Montalaar
10-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Destroyer, that means no more "Crocodile Dundee" :mad: :mad: :mad:
The governments treat the common men like criminals and the real criminals are protected by the law. They have human rights (including the right to kill) and our rights are to pay the taxes.

There is no 'right to kill'. At least not in western europe. There is no death penalty. I would not say that we have no right. Human right apply to everyone in the world and everyone should be treated like that. No matter if criminal or not.

Montalaar
10-05-2010, 08:50 AM
It's great to be an idealist when you're young :) Just a quick question - do you think a young and promising biologist is equal to a child rapist? Do they have an equal contribution to the prosperity of the society or the progress of the mankind? ;)

Alex, i am no idealist in matters of human rights an equality. Every human has the same rights, regardless of birth, family background, skin color, religious view or political party. We are all humans, driven by a mixture of genes, social background and environment.
Short answer: They are equal, yes. They may have different effects to the society, but they are still equal humans.

Long answer via pm.

Montalaar
10-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Sorry for the Thread hijack, J. This is quite common here... At least i believe that.

alex
10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
My apologies too :) We started with the SilverFlame broadheads which were great, but are no longer made and ended with the human rights :D Sorry!

Montalaar
10-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Just by the way..I am still searching a 100 gr and a 125 gr XL... :D

bfisher
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
My apologies too :) We started with the SilverFlame broadheads which were great, but are no longer made and ended with the human rights :D Sorry!

On some other forum you two guys would have been busted. You're lucky it's me here and I find some of these conversations quite interesting. Refreshing might be another word, learning more about some of you guys, your thoughts, morals, ideals and such.

Therefore your apologies are accepted by me.

Destroyer
10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Refreshing might be another word

Good to see others aren't sheep. ;)

alex
10-06-2010, 04:10 AM
It's good to have a friendly moderator! :) By the way is there a way to delete an own post here? I'd like to clean the space from some of mine useless comments, like these ones.
P.S. How stupid of me, just saw the delete option... :D