PDA

View Full Version : My first day with my Martin Threshold

automated
09-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Hello everyone,
First time poster. I recently wanted to get back into archery after multi-year hiatus due to having a family. I bought the Threshold because my budget was limited, and I thought it would make a great bow to start off with again.

The box arrived yesterday. I was stoked. I plan on going to the local archery shop to have the nock set and the bow tuned. I'm looking forward to firing it. I've read a few concerning threads as of late about angled cams and such, so I'm hoping that doesn't happen to me.

If any Martin tech is reading this I have a few things that I think would help.

1. Include mounting instructions for the equipment that comes with the bow. I installed everything myself, but it would have been nicer to read a proper tech manual, and not a generic martin bow owners manual.

2. A parts list. I'm not sure if parts are identified by number or not, but a proper parts list to be able to order replacement items would be stellar.

I also have a couple of questions specifically for the Threshold.

1. Can I replace the bushings in the cams with Ball Bearings?
2. Can I 'upgrade' the cams with another type if I choose to?

This is my first Martin bow, so I'm stoked to shoot it. I'll post some follow ups when I hit the range this week with my first shot thoughts. I haven't seen a lot of user reviews on the web, so I'll do my best to try and give my point of view.

alex
09-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Welcome to the forum! Hope you will like your bow and shoot it with pleasure :) I'd like to see a review too. About your questions - i'd say for both "you'd better don't do it".

Destroyer
09-25-2010, 04:14 PM
1. Can I replace the bushings in the cams with Ball Bearings?

Doubt it, wouldn't improve anything imho. Nothing wrong with 'bushings' unless there is a quality issue of some sort. Still have an old bow with them and still going strong.

2. Can I 'upgrade' the cams with another type if I choose to?

Its possible but it wouldn't be worth the $$. Not sure if the limbs would handle a harder cam like cat's. Better to buy another bow and keep the Threshold as a backup.

I haven't seen a lot of user reviews on the web, so I'll do my best to try and give my point of view.

Not many at all and it's needed. :)

jshlander
09-26-2010, 01:02 AM
nice to have you around!
welcome!

automated
09-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Today is the day I go to the shop to get the nock set, and tune the bow a bit. Hopefully the kids will leave me alone long enough to get a few minutes of shooting time. My oldest is already pestering me for a bow of her own, so it seems I have a budding archer.

I'll try and have a write-up for the Threshold soon.

Destroyer
09-26-2010, 09:12 PM
If you have any setup questions just ask. We have a very helpful community here.

coma
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
i own the threshold shot my first deer two weeks ago at 25 yards a doe complete pass thru taking her heart she went 20 yards n was done... ill post pics as soon as i find my camera ... i love the threshold it does have lowend equipment sights quiver rest.... but it shoots str8r than i have ever shot and it isnt very slow they say 305 maybe with the highest grade arrows but still a very fast bow love it!!

FireHawk Owner
10-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Love to see some reviews on Martin Bow.

Welcome to the Forum!!

bfisher
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the Tech Forums. May you find tons of valuable information here.

As for replacing the cams? Forget it. You'd have to change the string and cables, too, and these would cost more than your bow cost. You might also have to change the limbs depending on which cams you'd choose. Just shoot your bow and have fun. It might not be the fastest or highly technical bow on the planet, but sometimes simpler is better.

As for the manual being generic in nature? That might be because mounting accessories such as a rest is pretty much the same for all bows. Same goes for sights and other stuff. Once you learn how to do this stuff you'll see what I mean.

One thing you might find useful is Easton's Maintenance and Tuning Guide. Probably you can download a copy from Easton's website. Here again, it goes into a lot of useful detail but generic in nature----because most bows are set up nearly the same. After the initial setup is where the differences unfold and it guides you through most of that, too.