PDA

View Full Version : Martin M44 Firecat

purplewg
09-25-2010, 05:00 PM
My lady friend wanting to start shooting with me. Her right eye is really bad so I got her a left hand Firecat off ebay. I know..... Really though it is in really great shape. The problem is, for some reason I had it in my head it was 45-60 adjustable. When it gets here it is 65-80. I backed off the recommended max of 5 turns and she still can't pull it. She is a strong woman and her right side is stronger but she needs to shoot left due to her right eye.

I was helping her pull this evening and I didn't have to help that much. She has been pulling a RH bow of mine for exercise left handed and has gained strength.

I guess my question is, is there any way I can convert this bow to the below 60 pound range easily? She only lack a couple of inches of getting this one off cam and she is fine at that point. Should I just fine her another bow, keeping her strength exercises going, or is there a conversion?

I figured the experts here would know the best way to proceed. Thanks

gibson 787
09-25-2010, 06:29 PM
If I remember correctly, that model was introduced in early to mid 1990s. You are going to require new limbs to bring it down to the desirable draw weight.

You could contact a Martin dealer or Martin direct. Alternatively you could have Dave Barnsdale www.barnsdalearchery.com make you a set. The cost will be around $150.

Destroyer
09-26-2010, 12:02 AM
The problem is, for some reason I had it in my head it was 45-60 adjustable. When it gets here it is 65-80.

Maybe the description was wrong? Anyway, 65# is a bit much for most male beginners let alone a lady archer.

Should I just fine her another bow, keeping her strength exercises going, or is there a conversion?
Another bow I would say, too heavy, too much for a male beginner imo.

Is the bow like this one?
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=7073

purplewg
09-26-2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. No, the bow doesn't have the laminated limbs like the one in the link you sent. They are camo'd but appear to be composite material.

Guess I will give her another week or so while I look for a lighter bow for her. I only paid $150 for it so it isn't too bad a loss. Guess I could follow her around in the woods and pull it for her when she need to shoot. lol

Destroyer
09-26-2010, 08:52 PM
You could still drop the weight some depending on the draw length she needs and what the bow draw length is. By putting more twists in the string, it will drop the weight, shorten the draw length too though.

I only paid $150 for it so it isn't too bad a loss.

Not bad then. You could always trade it in or keep it for a spare. :)