PDA

View Full Version : Troubled about my Peep Sight

lengx
09-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi, I've been shooting a 2000 Martin Jaguar bow for a couple of years now. I've been having a hard time trying to match up my peep sight with my sight. The peep sight is covering more than just the outer lip of my sight when I'm at full draw. what should i do?

and Because the draw length is a little short for me which is at 27" right now, i was wondering if i could change the draw length just a little bit to get my peep sight to match the outer circle of my sight. Need help ASAP. thanks

Montalaar
09-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Do NOT change your draw length if it fits you at this time.

There are many different peeps with different sizes. If you see not enough you should try a peep with a larger drilled hole.

alex
09-27-2010, 06:36 AM
\ the draw length is a little short for me which is at 27" right now, i was wondering if i could change the draw length just a little bit to get my peep sight to match the outer circle of my sight

If the DW is really short now you can change it, but keep in mind that it's better to have a little shorter DW then a little longer. If you don't want to buy a new peep you can always drill a little more the present one.

bfisher
09-27-2010, 07:51 AM
As the two learned posters above have stated, you can change to a larger peep if you use a tubeless peep such as a Fletcher True Peep. However, if you are using a peep with a tube aligner then it can be drilled out to a larger size, but please remove it from the string to do so. More than one string has been damaged by an errant drill bit.

Bear in mind that although popular these days it is not absolutely necessary to have a peep that encircles the sight guard. Actually it is better for accuracyto have the smallest peep you can see through, but there is the consideration that for a hunting setup you want a larger peep to pass more light through during those hours before sunup and after sundown.

If you want a really nice tube peep that can be adjusted for size then take a look at the Super Hunter by Specialty Archery. You can view it on their website. It has the tube and is 1/4" diameter hole that you can get screw-in inserts to jsut about any size from 1/32" to 3/16" and 1/4" with no insert. These can be bought at some archery shops, but I know Lancaster Archery Supply handles them.

alex
09-27-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi, Barry! Great to see you here again! Hope you had a nice scuba vacation :)

lengx
09-27-2010, 01:40 PM
thanks guys. well my bow is actually in the shop right now. im getting new strings for this season. you guys clear my problems for me. ill let u guys know how i do this year. thanks again.

Destroyer
09-27-2010, 06:53 PM
i was wondering if i could change the draw length just a little bit to get my peep sight to match the outer circle of my sight.

Why you need to match the 'outer circle'? As long as you can see the inner circle to line things up I wouldn't stress to much.

Like bfisher said, going to a bigger hole means less accuracy, what size peep do you have?

Hi, Barry! Great to see you here again! Hope you had a nice scuba vacation

+2

lengx
09-27-2010, 09:05 PM
I've been using a 1/8 peep sight for 4 years now. although some hunters don't like the smallness of the size, it fits me perfect.

Destroyer
09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm using a 3/16" which is large as I will go, 1/8 is small but if it works, fine. There is no real need to match it up to the sight, even though it is a popular method these days. Some line it to the pin and some just 'auto align' by simply looking through it.

How much longer would you need to get your draw length correct? Its something that should be right regardless of the peep.

lengx
09-28-2010, 05:45 AM
No big jump. Just by a half of an inch

Montalaar
09-28-2010, 06:24 AM
I'm sorry that i misread your post. First bring your DL into the correct length and after that think about the Peep. DL is one of the most important things when talking about accuracy.

Destroyer
09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
half of an inch

Then go for it. You could possibly get 1/2" from putting more twists in the cable but this will increase the draw weight some, decrease your ATA, etc. Otherwise, you will be looking at another module. Fuzion cam? :)

wooduck1954
09-30-2010, 11:39 AM
You can have your moved to the 1 pin on the Dyna Cam and gain 1/2"
or add a "D" loop if you don't already have one