PDA

View Full Version : String & cable prob's...

Coop
10-01-2010, 06:06 PM
My shooting string is coming off the cams this way, (/), left. An my cables are coming off the mods this way, (\), right. Showing wear on the shooting string serving and alot of wear on serving cables. I've twisted the yoke several times(one side only), for cam lean and it just makes it worst(wearing), on the cable serving. Is their something I'm missing here?

Hopefully I explained the problem(s) that I'm having... I'm not to good at writing it out...
Oh, its a left handed Scepter 4 Elite bow, furious dual cam, w/ cable rod & side.

Coop

madlaz
10-02-2010, 05:47 AM
coop have you tried swapping the the cables in the cable slide

Coop
10-02-2010, 08:51 AM
I will give your advise a shot...
Twisting and untwisting the yoke on my part, doesn't seem to work...so I will try the easier thing that you have suggested...

Thanks Again,
Coop

PS Heading to the TX Hill Country in eight days, wish me luck.

Destroyer
10-03-2010, 04:49 AM
Can you post some pics? Having a hard time getting a clear picture (in my head) of whats going on. :confused:

alex
10-03-2010, 06:21 AM
Coop, why don't you send a pm to Scepterman30 - i think he will be able to help you.

Destroyer
10-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Most bows should be |\ or left hand /|. Yours being / \ sounds very strange.

Set the wheels so that they are straight with the limbs and if there is still cable clearance problems, change axle spacers to adjust wheel position.

Some pics would be nice. :)

bfisher
10-05-2010, 03:11 AM
I do't know, Destroyer. The angle of the string and cable is pretty indicative of what you should see with a left handed bow if I'm reading his explanation right.

Coop, I have what I'd consider a better solution. Convert the bow to an X system. You'll need a set of X modules and longer mod screws and 4 cables. You can use the present string. The X system eliminates the cable rod and slide so there is no side torque induced by the rod/slide. You can probably see a picture of one in the catalog on Martin's website.

Once installed all you need do is twist one cable or the other to align the cams with the riser and all cam lean will be eliminated. The only other problem you might run into is the fletching rubbing the cables, but Martin makes a kit with longer axles and spacers available to take care of that.

elkslayer4x5
10-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Coop, I have what I'd consider a better solution. Convert the bow to an X system. You'll need a set of X modules and longer mod screws and 4 cables. You can use the present string. The X system eliminates the cable rod and slide so there is no side torque induced by the rod/slide. You can probably see a picture of one in the catalog on Martin's website.

Once installed all you need do is twist one cable or the other to align the cams with the riser and all cam lean will be eliminated. The only other problem you might run into is the fletching rubbing the cables, but Martin makes a kit with longer axles and spacers available to take care of that.

Agree 100% on the X system, every post I read about side torque and fraying cables climbing the sides of sharp edges modlue, as well as all of the cracked limbs make me love that X system even more!
The wide axles work well but the bows where quieter when the cables touched each other, now I get more cable vibration at the shot. Cat wiskers top and bottom on all 4 cables, have helped, but I am tempted to go back to standard axles. Do you think that a short severing where they cross would be any louder?

KStigall
10-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I do't know, Destroyer. The angle of the string and cable is pretty indicative of what you should see with a left handed bow if I'm reading his explanation right.

In his signature it says that he's a finger shooter. I don't know anyone that has used the X system with fingers. Maybe with long axles and spacers he would get clearance. Of course I don't care for the Furious cam so I say he should put a set of Nitrous cams on it!

Agree 100% on the X system, every post I read about side torque and fraying cables climbing the sides of sharp edges modlue, as well as all of the cracked limbs make me love that X system even more!
The wide axles work well but the bows where quieter when the cables touched each other, now I get more cable vibration at the shot. Cat wiskers top and bottom on all 4 cables, have helped, but I am tempted to go back to standard axles. Do you think that a short severing where they cross would be any louder?

The "buzz" from the cables is because with 4 cables there are so little tension on them. A 60 lb. bow would only have 15 lbs. on each cable. The "buzzing" from the cables after the shot annoyed me for a while but once I realized what it was I got over it.

Spiker
10-05-2010, 03:23 PM

I agree with the long v.s. short axles and think that serving at the X would help.
I put those 'Neet' Eliminator buttons on my cables.

bfisher
10-05-2010, 05:04 PM
If the cables rub together it's no big deal, Spiker. Bows were designed like that for years with no problems.

KStigall, I never shot the Furious cam but try to find a complete set with X mods. They're like GOLD. Besides, using Nitrous might call for a different limb deflection. Depends on the size.

Elkslayer, try just one wide axle, preferrably on the top limb.

Coop, I don't know for sure that the X system will work for fingers. My guess is it should, at least with the wide axle kit. Depending on the fletching profile they should fit between the cables. If not you could always try a lower profile fletch. LP vanes or if feathers you could always get a feather chopper or burner and make your own.

Destroyer
10-05-2010, 06:50 PM
if I'm reading his explanation right.

That's why I wanted the pics, still don't get it. :confused:

elkslayer4x5
10-06-2010, 10:11 AM
If the cables rub together it's no big deal, Spiker. Bows were designed like that for years with no problems.

Elkslayer, try just one wide axle, preferrably on the top limb.

I do have 1 long axle, that why I mentioned the additional "buzz'. However, I've got 'em all on the bottom limb. I am thinking of going back to standard axles, as you said to Spiker, it's no big deal if they do rub. :)

madlaz
10-08-2010, 04:01 AM
I have a scepter 4 with wide axcels ihave no problem shooting fingers works great for me i also have one with cable guard been comparing the two wich shoots the best the cable guard easier to shoot but the shoot thru seems more accurate