PDA

View Full Version : cams and rain

J758
10-02-2010, 02:22 PM
I've been out hunting. And harvested a deer. One problem. My bow got wet! I wiped it off and what should I put on cams. Will they make noise if I don't. And if I should put something on em. How bout gun oil? Also how do u post ics from your phone? Magnus 85 grain broad heads are great!

rjd
10-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Don't think I would use any oil. Oils will attract dirty but that I just my opinion.Mine have been wet from hunting turkeys in the spring for years and they are still turning . And they don't make any noise that I can hear.

RobD
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I agree with AJR.oil will collect all kinds of dirt.As long as you dry it off{Wipe Down} when you get done hunting or when it stops raining,you should be fine.I hunt right through the rain most of the time and I have not had any problems.Also I live in Florida,The dew is so bad here in the mornings, it doesn't even have to rain for your bow to be soaked.I did replace my module screws at the end of last years hunting season, do to rusty heads.Ohh yea,Congratulations on your deer.Good luck.

SonnyThomas
10-02-2010, 04:41 PM
First, most cam bearing are sealed, so no need to worry. Second, my 10 year old hunting has never been taken apart, oiled, or greased. Shoot as great as ever and it has seen just about everything, rain, snow, ice, walked through miles of brush.

Coop
10-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Just don't store your bow in an enclosed bow case after it has been rained on. Let it air dry first.

Coop

Destroyer
10-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Good point Coop. Make sure you dry the bow the same day, don't wait until the next day, doesn't take long for things to rust. A quick wipe over to remove any dirt or whatever is all it needs. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-03-2010, 05:35 AM
I also use those little packs that remove moisture. Just in case there is hidden moisture. I throw them in the bow case and the gun case. Have never had a problem.
HUTCH

Montalaar
10-03-2010, 05:49 AM
You can even reuse those little packs. Just heat them up to 60C (! not sure what's that in F or K) for around 10 minutes and they are good to go. Do this from time to time to ensure that they are working. At least when we are both talking about those little bags that come with things like cameras, the Axcel sight... and so on.

Oh, just by the way:
I shot loads of tournaments during rain and all my bows are still working.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Yes we are talking about the same little bags. And they work very well

J758
10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks everyone! Just gotta figure out a post of pics

bfisher
10-03-2010, 07:14 PM
They're called Silica Gel Packs. I use them inside my video housing underwater to keep it from fogging up. And they can be reused. Just toss them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and it dries the moisture right out of them.

Montalaar
10-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Microwave...

Everybody has one. At least everyone i know. Beside me. LOL.

Destroyer
10-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Didn't know that bfisher, :cool:.

Montalaar
10-04-2010, 11:23 PM
We use loads of this stuff for biological tests... Quite cool how it works.