PDA

View Full Version : The Cheetah wins

sluggo
10-03-2010, 08:44 PM
This spring I decided to get back into bowhunting after 25 years away from flingin sticks. I tend to go a little overboard when I jump into a new passion so I ended up buying a Bowtech Patriot II, Diamond Black Ice & a Martin Cheetah. Over the last 6 months I've thrown boat loads of arrows down range with all 3 bows. I've tinkered, I've fussed, I've adjusted this, that and the other thing. Some days I like one and then the other and then the other. At the end of the day, I just enjoy the Cheetah more. It's a bit faster than the other 2. It has a draw stoke that is absolute hot butter smooth. It's a little bit shorter A to A. It's a little bit lighter, plus it is about the sweetest looking bow I've ever seen.

This weekend I had a friend come out and listen as I fired all 3 bows. He thought the Cheetah was quieter than the other 2. I had him shoot all 3 while I listened, I don't know if it was quieter or equal but the sound was of a shorter duration. It was certainly no louder than the other 2 and I wasn't even using a stabilzer on the Cheetah while I had a stabilizer on the other 2. Of course if a bow isn't accurate it's out of consideration and the Cheetah is easily capable of better accuracy than I am. In fact today while shooting at 45 yards I got my first Robin Hood with it and it was inside a 2" bullseye. I'm not saying I'm that good of a shot but if a Robin Hood is going to happen I'm glad it was in the bullseye and not 5" out of the bullseye.

Anyway to make a short story long, my Cheetah won fair and square.

RobD
10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
In fact today while shooting at 45 yards I got my first Robin Hood with it and it was inside a 2" bullseye. I'm not saying I'm that good of a shot but if a Robin Hood is going to happen I'm glad it was in the bullseye and not 5" out of the bullseye.

Congrads on your first robinhood :D!!

ezbite
10-04-2010, 07:38 PM
i love my cheetah, its only a 35-50 and so only use it for frog hunting, but it takes care of them hoppers:D

Destroyer
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Cheetah is easily capable of better accuracy than I am.

Most bows are more capable really. The Martin's certainly shoot well. :)

i love my cheetah, its only a 35-50 and so only use it for frog hunting, but it takes care of them hoppers

Interesting. What heads do you use? Fishing gear?

ezbite
10-05-2010, 01:49 AM
called "Adder Point" the field tip goes into the a hole thru the middle of them, then just screw the tip into the arrow. never lost an arrow yet.

elkslayer4x5
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
If you're not loosing arrows shot at/thru frogs, then seems that the adder point would also stop an arrow from sliding too deep into grass, True? How much do they weigh? I'm looking something a little more aggresive than a judo point for Gray Fox, it was'nt to bad finding the arrows I've shot at foxes when I was shooting recurves, but these Slayers I'm shooting now have certainilly changed that! :eek:

Spiker
10-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I use them too and they do keep arrows from burrowing into the grass.
Hard to find them locally anymore but you can order'em online.
I'll weigh one and post it if someone else dont first.
Anything bigger than a Grouse tho - I use Magnus Stingers. :D

Destroyer
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
called "Adder Point"

Haven't used one for years. Can imagine what they do to a frog. :D

A torch, some adder's and go a froggin. :cool:

then seems that the adder point would also stop an arrow from sliding too deep into grass, True?

Found the judo's better for grass here. The ground was a bit hard on the adders. 25 grains I think Spiker.

Spiker
10-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Your about right on the weight. I weighed two of the ones in my stuff box and they are 26 and 28gn. They are just stamped out so not real consistant.
I put them behind 85gn field points and they shoot just fine.
Judo points do work much better at stopping your arrows. I love them and use them on all small game. Draw back is that anything real small gets really torn up when a judo goes thru them and if ES4X5 is hunting fox - I wouldn't want to shoot judos at them. Hide is a bit thick for that, but the Adders would work fine.
I still shoot broadheads at anything that weighs more than a few pounds.
Can be a bit $$$ but - if I'm going to shoot at something - I want it dead.!

elkslayer4x5
10-06-2010, 11:54 AM
When I'm hunting fox for fur ( price is down, but comming back ) I'll use the .17HMR. But I've got the grandson for next deer season, ( July ) and they can't call/hunt fox ( furbearer, traper license ) in Oregon. Can here, and talk about get your heart rate up! Way way back in my puphood, a hunting partner and I had a Burrum Brothers 8 track tape of rabbits distress. Second or third time we set up, turned it on and as I lifted my Bear Super Kodiak off my lap, a gray fox ran across my lap, ahh, yeah, I missed! . A Gray fox is pretty persistant, he knows there bunny dinner there, and hes not going to give it up, they'll give you lots of shots, cirle around you, 20-30 yds out.
Sorry , did'nt mean to hijack the thread. :D

Destroyer
10-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I still shoot broadheads at anything that weighs more than a few pounds.
Can be a bit $$$ but - if I'm going to shoot at something - I want it dead.!

Same here, only use judo's for bunnies. Didn't know the weight was that inconsistent though. :eek:

A Gray fox is pretty persistant, he knows there bunny dinner there, and hes not going to give it up, they'll give you lots of shots, cirle around you, 20-30 yds out.

Different to the foxes out here, one shot usually and they're gone for good, that is if you get a shot, they have great noses on them, or I stink too much lol! :D

ezbite
10-07-2010, 09:00 PM
they do a job on a frog, i find myself actually aiming at its head because if you hit the legs, its shattered and pretty much a waste trying to eat a shattered frog leg. im also using 85 grain field points.