PDA

View Full Version : A warning - Cheap Truglo sight on eBay!

Destroyer
10-06-2010, 07:49 PM
You get what you pay for and sometimes more. Now I know that I shouldn't be surprised that for $30 the quality of the sight might not be the best. This was for my old Bear so I wasn't about to go 'top shelf'.

The first problem was the level fell off, not a biggie but not good either. A drop or two of superglue and it was ok again. Then half the glo ring fell off, not good but it didn't bother me so I ripped the rest off. The included light worked sometimes, replaced the batterys and a bit off fiddling and in now works 8/10 times.

Now some might be saying, so what? Cheap sight what do you expect. Well I don't expect to be woken up at 3.00am this morning by a large BANG as one of the original batteries exploded. YES EXPLODED!!! :eek:

Bits went every where and I was running around the house looking for a bullet hole in a window. Then I thought maybe some little critter had bitten through an electrical cord, so after checking around, I laid there hoping that the house wasn't about to burn down, not good at all. So i finally got out of bed this morning to find a small round piece of metal in the carpet, more searching and found some more. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

So in the end I was lucky I wasn't near it as I might have ended in one of my eyes. But I issue this warning to all my archery brothers out there not to go near these sights, at all.

gibson 787
10-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Shizenhauzen mate!! was the battery in the sight light? Never heard of one of those exploding before, thanks for the warning, I've got a draw full of em in my desk, some are big suckers as well. Think I might just take em out to the garage before they blow me flamin legs off and what's between em!!!

Sorry to hear about the sight, I've had a few Truglos and the quality was always good. Maybe they're fakes made in China or somewhere in that region.

On the bright side, the postman brought you a nice surprise today.:)

dragonsfire311
10-06-2010, 09:12 PM
HOLY S@*T:eek:, thx for the warning. at least nobody got hurt, last thing you want to hear in the middle of the night.

RobD
10-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Wow. Never heard of a battery doing that without heat.:confused: Yes Thank God no one was hurt...

baerman
10-07-2010, 04:39 AM
There was an article that I read recently on Chinese batteries used in high intensity flashlights and handgun sites doing exactly what those archery site batteries did. In an effort to make a cheaper product, the Chinese always take the short cut. Lead in the toys for our kids, poison in their food and exploding batteries. They don't like us, and feel free to do anything to us. Guess we'll never learn. Anyway, as they said earlier, look out for knock-offs and anything with Made In China on it.

Montalaar
10-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Oh come on. That is plain stupid. Check your clothes, most of them are made in China. Check your PC, most parts are made in China. Do you own a Mobile, mp3-player or anything from Apple? All those things are produced in China. Even high price bows (not Martin) are partly made in China and just assembled in the US.

alex
10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Is it absolutely sure that these batteries will explode? I may take a couple of dozens ;)

baerman
10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Good Afternoon Alex,
No, it's not absolutely certainthat they'll explode. Montalaar, their Chinese Director of Commerce made the comment that they held us in contempt, but had to do business with us....this was made during a visit by Hillary Clinton to China in the not too distant past. The article on exploding Chinese batteries in the high intensity flashlights was in American Handgunner about 12 months ago. I wish that you were here right now.....and call me plain stupid to my face. The fact that everything is now made in China is a nightmare of our own making. As I said, when will we learn?

alex
10-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Please, don't start a fight here, guys! The chinese aren't guilty for our own greed and stupidity - they work well, a lot and for less money. But we (Americans and Europeans... and Australians ;) ) live in a "post-modern world", in a "non-industrial economy" and other such bullshit. :mad: Instead of talking against the chinese, let's ask some questions to our own companies and politicians!

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 11:09 AM
let's ask some questions to our own companies and politicians!

In particular the politicians, and more importantly, the system that makes it virtually impossible to get quality people into positions of power.:(

Montalaar
10-07-2010, 11:35 AM
In fact all electronic devices are made in China. There are some factories producing chips in germany but only for industrial use.

In fact we are absolutely dependent on products made in China, Taiwan, Korea and other asian states. There is absolutely no way to deny this as it is the truth. And yeah, it is stupid to believe that you could live without China. They own most parts of the economy all over the world. Because the supress their own value and make it possile to buy all the money in the world for nothing.

I do not agree with the chinese politics and their system. I also think that they are product pirates and have no rights to do this. But it is just a fact that the whole western world depends on China and no country in the world can threat china without fearing economic problems.

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I also think that they are product pirates and have no rights to do this

This is what I was talking about in my earlier post, was the Truglo sight genuine, or a copy made in Asia?

J758
10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Damn. At least u didn't get hurt! Never heard of that! Just cheap sights. Wouldn't matter from us. Anywhere else. But still. Shouldn't of happened. I'd call the sight comnpany and let them know what happened!

baerman
10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Gibson 787,
The flashlights that had battery "blow-ups" were a domestic design and brand name, but of Chinese manufacture. The batteries, while appearing to be of decent quality, were made very cheaply, which is very often the case with Chinese manufactured items, and due to that fact, went into meltdown at unexpected times. So, the TruGlo may have actually been the genuine article. You can, with a bit of effort, find products that are not made in China, but you'll pay a premium price. Can you be certain of each part in that item? of course not, but it's worth it to at least make the effort. It wasn't many years ago that we tried to give the Chinese a "leg-up" economically....it certainly has come full circle and is now "biting the hand..." so to speak.

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Agree Baerman, but the failure of politicians in educating in the direction of innovation and allowing the rising value of assets to feed the consumption frenzy, which has resulted in the huge disparity in wages between western countries and China, I see as the big problem. We basically became lazy and sat back watching the value of our houses increase instead of focussing on inventing new things that are usefull and that would help the environment.

Not much to do with archery, but that's my 2 cents.

baerman
10-07-2010, 01:03 PM
You are exactly correct. However, even if it's not related to archery, the solution is to now swallow the "hard pill" and begin to correct the problem. My job, for the company that employ's me, is to continually conceive new products, work with our Development team to design them properly, and then with Marketing to package them for the target market. We do this very well, just as we always have. Our policy, and it's sometimes been painful, is to never turn the resulting product over for Chinese manufacture. This is both an ethical policy as well as aimed at providing our customers with products of know high quality. Truthfully, in the beginning, we did try taking the easy Chinese route a number of times due to the better margins (financially), but quickly saw that it was a recipe for disaster long term. Anyway, I think that we'd better abandon this "non-archery" discussion before Martin, correctly, cuts us off. Take care!

Montalaar
10-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I think it is no problem to discuss this stuff here. Don't worry about that. :)

bfisher
10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I think it is no problem to discuss this stuff here. Don't worry about that. :)

Good point Simon. I think I'm the only one policing this site on a regular basis and as I've said before, I find it quite refreshing that people from all parts of the world and all walks of life can discuss such matters in a civil matter. We get some education and get a feel for how others think about numerous matters.

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I think it is no problem to discuss this stuff here.

In my eyes, the more people from different parts of the world that talk together, the better the world would become. The one thing that peeves me a whole lot, is that our politicians havn't had the ability to get together and invent a world language that all the children throughout the world would learn as a second language, which in a short space of time, would result in total world communication!:)

I'll thank you all for the interesting chat and bid you all farewell, as I'd better get and do some work!

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
One last thing.

Wow, who would have believed that all this resulted from an EXPLODING SIGHT LIGHT BATTERY!!:eek:

PS Hey there Bfisher, nice to see you join in.

alex
10-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Gibson, your posts hit right at the bullseye :) By the way, i'm a little confused - what's the time now in Australia - here it's 00:39 of 08 of Oct. so it must be around 9 AM there, right?

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 01:56 PM
so it must be around 9 AM there, right?

Alex, thank you and yes October 8, almost 9am and we began daylight saving last Saturday.

Now I gotta do some work

alex
10-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks and have a nice day!

Destroyer
10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
was the battery in the sight light? Never heard of one of those exploding before, thanks for the warning, I've got a draw full of em in my desk, some are big suckers as well.

Nope, sitting on my desk next to my laptop. Had it been in the light well dunno, might have been worse under pressure, at least there would be less internal battery stuff spread around the room.

Maybe they're fakes made in China or somewhere in that region.

Its a possibility, only paid around $30 including shipping so there is a good chance it is a fake.

On the bright side, the postman brought you a nice surprise today.

Very nice. :D

last thing you want to hear in the middle of the night.

If it had happened while I was sitting next to it, could have been worse me thinks. But yes, not something you want to happen at night, like a cap gun going off in your ear.

There was an article that I read recently on Chinese batteries used in high intensity flashlights and handgun sites doing exactly what those archery site batteries did.

Bigger batteries, bigger boom. Hate to be around one of those. :eek:

Btw, I appreciate the thoughts, and I will be taking this up with the seller and eBay too.

Cheers! :)

Destroyer
10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Usually I don't have a problem with the chinese stuff, but it always worries me about the chemicals, etc they use. They don't generally seem to have the same thought about life as we do, at least those in charge don't seem to. I guess that's not a surprise with the population they have.

In particular the politicians, and more importantly, the system that makes it virtually impossible to get quality people into positions of power.

Plato said, ''those who are too intelligent to enter into politics are ruled by idiots''. Guess he didn't count on the system being setup by the 'idiots'. Good to see members here are smart enough to talk abut it.

gibson 787
10-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Good to see members here are smart enough to talk abut it.

Ya started a good one here matey:)

runi12brain
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.

ezbite
10-07-2010, 09:06 PM
im still trying to figure out how its the cheap truglo sights fault for the battery poping?:D

Montalaar
10-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Alex, thank you and yes October 8, almost 9am and we began daylight saving last Saturday.

Now I gotta do some work

And now we have 8:47 in Germany, weeeee~

Montalaar
10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
In my eyes, the more people from different parts of the world that talk together, the better the world would become. The one thing that peeves me a whole lot, is that our politicians havn't had the ability to get together and invent a world language that all the children throughout the world would learn as a second language, which in a short space of time, would result in total world communication!:)

I'll thank you all for the interesting chat and bid you all farewell, as I'd better get and do some work!

Just noticed it yet.

There is an invented world language. It is called 'Esperanto' and nobody knows or even uses it.... I know ... one person who can communicate with it.

But we have english. Most people in the world learn english or are capable of basic communication via the english language. At least in germany and the european countries it is commong to learn english in schools. Starting at an age of 4 to 10, depending on the country. Most people are just not interested in such communication we can experience here. That is my thought.

elkslayer4x5
10-08-2010, 08:11 AM
There was an article that I read recently on Chinese batteries. look out for knock-offs and anything with Made In China on it.

You do know that we have a Chinese menber of this board? :cool: