PDA

View Full Version : cable slide / quiver/ broadheads for turkeys?

J758
10-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey guys. I want to put a new cable clip on my slide. Thought about just painting the outside of it green. Color of my treestand. Also. I have noticed that my quiver screws are starting to wear. Afraid one time they may strip. So I was thinking of makeing my own to strap on myself. Do any of u guys do this for hunting like the 3d shooters? Also. If I just paint the outside of my cable clip think it'll be ok. Don't like the white. Gonna turkey hunt with it in a few days! So u use small game heads with the prongs or just my usual BH and shoot for head like I do with my gun? I'm not going to use a gun this season. At all. I'm not up to speed on the latest and greatest. I just like magnus BH 2 or 4 blade. Doesn't matter. Did take a squreil with a small game head. Made by monteck. Worked good. So what do you guys think?

Destroyer
10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
So I was thinking of makeing my own to strap on myself.

You can, especially if you hunt from a stand. There are adapters to put your quiver onto a belt, making your own is much cheaper though. I use a much modified Tarantula side quiver btw, don't always have to use a bow quiver. I like shooting a bow without one.

Painting the slide? Why not. I don't mind the white. :)

dragonsfire311
10-07-2010, 08:40 PM
if turkey is broadside aim at wing root, head on shot aim for center of chest, facing away aim right in middle of back. most people I know use standard broadheads on turkeys as do I. u can aim for head but arrow isn't giving the spread a shotgun does and if he moves from string sound **miss**.

ezbite
10-07-2010, 09:14 PM
any broadhead center mass on a turkey will kill it, you might have to run it down so he dont get lost in the woods before he dies. so when you hit the bird, go get it now, its not like a deer where he needs to bleed out, run that sucker down and finish him off.lol. but if you get a solid hit, hes gonna die. there are a few broadheads out there made just for aiming at birds head/necks. buzzcuts are one brand. google them, they got a website with some video that awesome.

elkslayer4x5
10-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey guys. I want to put a new cable clip on my slide. Thought about just painting the outside of it green. Color of my treestand. Also. I have noticed that my quiver screws are starting to wear. Afraid one time they may strip. So I was thinking of makeing my own to strap on myself. Do any of u guys do this for hunting like the 3d shooters? Also. If I just paint the outside of my cable clip think it'll be ok. Don't like the white.

Stay away from any color seen on Tom's head, red, blue, WHITE! Turkeys take behaveral glues from the colors of a toms head, which change as they strutt. Stay away from white= alarm! :eek: Almost any point works, as other have said, there are several made just for turkeys. Good luck!

alex
10-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Seeing the title of the previous post i tought that it'll be another political one :D

Ehunter
10-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Make sure your state regs allow the use of the heads you are wanting to use. In Kansas here, a few of the turkey broadheads made are actually illegal. I like an expandable, with the biggest cut possible. Usually shoot a 2inch Vortex Mini Max. Keeps the amount of pass throughs and lost arrows down a bit. Plus, the bird absorbs more of the arrows energy.

Destroyer
10-09-2010, 04:24 PM
any broadhead center mass on a turkey will kill it, you might have to run it down so he dont get lost in the woods before he dies.

Never hunted them but one tip I came across was to hit higher in the chest, upper chest, puts them down faster. Cant test the theory though. :)

Destroyer
10-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Stay away from white= alarm!

Is a cable guard slide big enough to worry though? :eek:

elkslayer4x5
10-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Its not all that large but it does move, and movement is'nt a good thing around turkeys, very keen vision, especially for movement. :eek:

J758
10-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Yes! They can see your eyes blink 100 yards away. Missed one takening my gun off saftey. Blind with my bow. Gonna paint clip or get a black one

Destroyer
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Wish I could hunt them here, I love eating turkey. Sounds like they're a difficult critter to hunt.

elkslayer4x5
10-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Wish I could hunt them here, I love eating turkey. Sounds like they're a difficult critter to hunt.

Well, come on over! Ever since the Wild Turkey Federarion, the states and national goverment re-planted turkeys, begining in the late 1960's, they're every where. I live just under 4 miles from the Post Office/town, every time I go to town or PO, I see 3-4 flocks on the way home. Have to be carefull on the local golf course, watch where that ball is rolling and into what !! :eek:
Oh and yes, they are difficult to hunt, seems they can see you change your mind. :D

Destroyer
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Well, come on over!

Thanks mate! I'd like to make it over to your part of the world someday. I might if I can just stop myself buying archery gear lol! :D