PDA

View Full Version : Back in the saddle! With green strings!

jcason
10-08-2010, 06:27 AM
A big thanks out to Joel this week. I've had an issue with cable serving wear on my 2010 Firecat TR2. Finally diagnosed the problem and Joel was quick to send replacement parts. To my surprise, in the package were, you guessed it, green strings! Got everything installed and the new strings in place. I think she looks great.

I seem to have lost about 15 fps in the transition though. ATA is 32 3/8, BH is 7, and draw length is correct. Draw weight feels light and measures 64 lbs on my scale which may be a little off. I need to check on a more accurate scale.

If all the other measurements are correct, what can make the draw weight be lower than spec?

Thanks again to Joel for the great Tech Support service!!

Parashooter
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Jcason, what was the problem causing the wear???

...I've been noticing the service over the cam getting a little fuzzy, other day I put the bow in the press to wax the serving and found my cam has a buggered groove under that part of the string/cable.

Still waiting to hear back from Joel :(

Edit - Joel just called back and is getting a cam out to a local shop.

jcason
10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
The cable guide on the top cam was improperly machined so that it forced the cable directly against the cam. As the draw cycle begins, this guide directs the cable into the groove on the draw length module. Since the grooves in the guide and the module were not lined up properly, the cable was being guided onto the lip of the module and then it would roll down into the groove. This action eventually caused enough abrasion to wear thru the serving on the cable. Being a novice, it happened twice before I finally figured it out. Martin shipped replacement cams and you can clearly see the difference in the alignment of the guide and the module. I'm still confused about the draw weight and speed, though. I understand that usually a new string is a little slower, but not sure about the draw weight.

RobD
10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
If your limb bolts are all the way down ,and your Dw is not were it should be . your cams might not be timed correctly. Or you may need to put some twist in your cables, to increase your DW, But you have to pay attention it can change the ATA and drawlenght. That will wrap your cams more and probably put your FPS back were its suppose to be, If done right you will probably exceed what you FPS was.Gave my bow 7 FPS. heres a link to show what Im talking about. Good Luck! http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=622832&referrerid=22477

RobD
10-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Jcason from looking at the pic you posted. Looks like your cables are already twisted enough. I would not put any more twist in them now. Looks like your limb bolt are not all the way in. Which is fine. But If your looking for some more draw weight you can tighten them up. Make sure if you turn the top limb bolt a full 360% you do the same to the Bottom. What you do to one you always do to the other. You should have a scale when doing this to make sure it doesn't exceed max DW.

Parashooter
10-09-2010, 06:42 AM
The cable guide on the top cam was improperly machined so that it forced the cable directly against the cam. As the draw cycle begins, this guide directs the cable into the groove on the draw length module. Since the grooves in the guide and the module were not lined up properly, the cable was being guided onto the lip of the module and then it would roll down into the groove. This action eventually caused enough abrasion to wear thru the serving on the cable. Being a novice, it happened twice before I finally figured it out. Martin shipped replacement cams and you can clearly see the difference in the alignment of the guide and the module. I'm still confused about the draw weight and speed, though. I understand that usually a new string is a little slower, but not sure about the draw weight.

Ah, OK... Glad to hear it's not the same thing as I found! I've just got what I think is damage from shpping or from the store (Dick's, where I just saw 15 bows that ALL had been dry-fired, dropped, or intentionally had the strings pulled off! - all on display... And I had to return the first bow I bought too, got home and saw cracks in the limbs! ) It looks like the groove got whacked with something before it was strung.

Destroyer
10-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Draw weight feels light and measures 64 lbs on my scale which may be a little off. I need to check on a more accurate scale.

If it feels light then it very well could be. What scale are you using, it might be correct. :)

J758
10-10-2010, 07:57 AM
I want green strings! I'm calling martin to see if I can get some!

Parashooter
10-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I want green strings! I'm calling martin to see if I can get some!

I'm clueless... what's the big deal about 'green stirings'??? (Mine is just solid gray)

Destroyer
10-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Some are hoping the Hammerheads (greenies) are better than the rubbish that was on our bows. ;)

Montalaar
10-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Those green are just of a super sweet color. :D