PDA

View Full Version : RAGE 2 broad heads

J758
10-09-2010, 05:04 AM
I have a friend that bought rage 2 heads gave me one to try. I shoot magnus stinger buzz cuts! (85) grain and got a complete pass through resulting in massive blood trail and a harverst. I think it doesn't matter what head u use right? A well placed shot will do it every time! I was thinking yeah 2 inch cut. Wait untill one of those 2 inch blades open early resulting in loss of arrow speed and a arrow off the mark or one of those cheap blades get in to some thick bone. Then what? NOT TO MENTION there is a chance the blades may or maynot work right. Haveing said that why would u buy something like that? If they didn't work well why they keep changeing them. Year after year it seems the major BH don't change much? Do they. I've done a little research. But I'm to the point now I just started thinking about BH. October 2 opening day. I've SHOT thousands of times before I even considered trying a BH. 100 times a dayor so since last january. I was just wanting some input on these from people that know what the hell they are doin. I'm still new but not totally green.

Destroyer
10-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Heard good things about the rage's, real advantages to mechanical's especially at higher fps, easier tuning, etc. Bad points, too expensive for me and I don't think you can resharpen them. I don't thingk accidental opening is a problem these days but I can't say for sure, cheapo heads maybe. Cut on impact heads are harder to tune (at high fps) but penetrate better, some you can reuse as well.

It does matter what head you use, its the killing part of archery and that's very important. :)

SonnyThomas
10-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Sounds like you're up in the air over something you don't all that much about.
First, the Rage 2 blade is pretty highly regarded and considered better than the 3 blade. Mechanical broadheads must have a certain amount of horsepower behind them. Rage, however, has come out with a low poundage 2 blade head, 40 KE. Personally, 32 deer have fallen to my mechanical NAP Shock Wave 100s and no failures whatsoever. The Shock Wave has not changed since introduced.

Of blades opening, most all mechanical heads are tested to withstand the force of 300 fps. There is hardly any velocity lost to the blades being open and if the bow is setup properly there is no accuracy loss. I have personally tested mechanicals with the blades purposely left open and can say they work.

Since around 1999 there have many mechanical and fixed broadheads introduced. And, by and large personal preference depends on any broadhead remaining on the market. Incredibly great broadheads have gone by the way just because the public wouldn't accept them. The NAP Braxe broadhead is a fairly new fixed broadhead, but so radical looking people are skeptical about them. I tested these radical Braxe broadheads. One head smashed through three 1/4" pieces of plywood, shot 30 times from 15 to 40 yards and possessing great accuracy and then smashed through the three 1/4" pieces a second time without failure and no broken blades. I consider this outstanding and the Braxe was to pulled from the market this year.

The Magnus Stinger Buzz Cut 85 gr is a broadhead I really don't care for. By standards 100 gr is considered the minimum to use, not that 85 grs won't get the job done. One thing bowhunters look at is FOC. 10% FOC is said needed to stabilize fixed broadheads. The much acclaimed Carbon Express Maximas have built in weight forward technology to maintain FOC. I don't care for them, but today's archers are buying it. So 85 gr. may be lowering FOC and then lowering the weight of the arrow, thus robbing the arrow of momentum, moving weight that drives the arrow deep or through the deer.

You asked.....

Destroyer
10-09-2010, 05:37 PM
There is hardly any velocity lost to the blades being open

Mechanical broadheads must have a certain amount of horsepower behind them

Some loss me thinks Sonny. ;)

J758
10-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks! Sonny and destroyer! Have one to try! Gonna give it a chance. I really like the magnus BH though. The 85 grain head got the job done for me. I also got another set of arrows with muzzy 125s and xx75 aluminum arrows for back up. Right now I'm shootin goldtips. Total grain is 381.

ezbite
10-09-2010, 07:59 PM
im not really sure of what you want to know. are you bashing rage or just wondering about them outloud? i know a person who constantly kills deer and hogs with rage 2 blade, so many in fact this person gave me some for christmas because i kept asking about them(at least thats why i think i got em.lol.). it was a 3 pack and it came with a practice head. i shot one of the regular heads and the practice head over the summer into my broadhead target. i have had zero problems, i did rotate the o-ring about once a day and replaced it about everyweek. my friend has never had any problems either and alot of the kills have been taped. this person never uses the same head twice, but this person has rage as one of their sponsers. im a thunderhead 125 guy myself, but this year im shooting rage just because of all the footage ive seen and good things ive heard. hunting season just started, so stay tuned. i also know tom miranda shoots rage 2 blade, ive seen plenty of his shows and let me tell you, blood bath. it (as usual) comes down to what your comfortable with. my advise would be, if you dont feel rage it gonna come thru for you, dont shoot them, stick with the buzzcuts. good luck.

SonnyThomas
10-10-2010, 05:01 AM
Some loss me thinks Sonny. ;)

Some, not much. I did say; "hardly." What it is, the blades of a mechanical aren't don't have the mass of fixed broadheads and don't have near the "wind planing" traits. It sure looked like the ones I tested went through (completely through) the 3D target as fast as the those closed.

Still, some mechanicals have me distrust them, but horsepower, speed at initial hit or weight behind the head and they work. Noted some time back by some high tech shooter was the need of some bows to launch the mechanical at 260 fps or faster. And then, at one time it was said that tuning a fixed broadhead for over 260 fps was impossible. Well, that might true for those in a "hurry up" to get things going, but I know some people that can tune a bow to shoot a spade, so to speak.

J758
10-10-2010, 07:07 AM
No, not bashing just learning. I shoot 291 fps. So the head should preform. MY buddy gave me one to try. Shot it at my block. And wow! Just was wanting som good based knowledge from my fellow martin users. I feel BH are something that is earned to use. Can't just go out and buy BH and shoot a animal. I've shot a lot and harvested my first deer. Just want to give the game the up most respect. I too have seen videos and such of the rage 2 I wanted conformation from u guys after I shot it and then take to the woods! Thanks everyone for being such a help. I gotta bond with the magnus only cause I shot it a lot before huntin and killed a deer with it.

Destroyer
10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Still, some mechanicals have me distrust them

Not surprising, the early ones were pretty bad. And they sell some rubbish on eBay. I'd give the rage's a go if they weren't so expensive. :)

I gotta bond with the magnus only cause I shot it a lot before huntin and killed a deer with it.

Stick with it then, if it aint broke........;)

SRT8Jeep
10-11-2010, 06:43 AM
shoot rage two blades myself, great broadhead, like you mentioned, if a shot is well placed it doesnt matter, but the two inch cutting pattern really makes a difference on a well placed shot, i double lunged a doe last year at 33 yards and when she was opened up, there was absolutely nothing left. she dropped after 15 yards, and the blood trail was like a red brick road. anyhow, have shot these heads for awhile with no issues of premature opening and im shooting a tr1 @70# 30.5 DL approx. 308fps with a goldtip 7595 100gr two-blade rage.

RobD
10-11-2010, 07:13 AM
What is the difference between, the 2 and the 3 blade rage. Besides the amount of blades. It seems everyone likes the 2 blade better. I figured the 3 blade would cut more.:confused:

Destroyer
10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Could be the same as between the 2 and 3 blade fixed heads, the 2 blades out penetrate the 3. Maybe the 2 blades are wider?

polaris754
10-11-2010, 03:01 PM
hey guys i do think the rage heads are just the ticket . i do use them so they must be ok :rolleyes:

Destroyer
10-11-2010, 03:07 PM
i do use them so they must be ok

2 or 3 blade?

RobD
10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Didn't know that 2 blade has more penetration. Think I will be changing my BH"S Thank for the info.:)

Money Man
10-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I am still new to all this but I have been told the 2 blade would have less friction vs. a 3 blade therefore giving the better penetration. A buddy of mine was in Colorado last month and got an elk with Rage 2 blade. He claims it was a pass through at 64 yards. Might be a fish story but I wasn't there. ;)

J758
10-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Ok. I shot this broad head and here are my results. I did not like the fact the practic tip did not open like the game heads
. My buddy shot the practic head in the dirt on purpose and it smashed instantly. I shot the head he gave me
Bout 50 times in the block and it works flawlessly. The whole O ring thing sucks! We used orto bands and worked just as welll. This product is great if you have cash for replacement blades. And by the way I'd take this head hunting
Durability not good. One shot heads on a deer I would think. It does. Work.

Destroyer
10-12-2010, 04:06 PM
did not like the fact the practic tip did not open like the game heads

Doesn't really matter if they don't open but doesn't sound like they are very strong either. Too much extra complexity for me.

J758
10-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I think so so u can see how the head is gonna cut. Your right. Too much complexity for me. I'm sticking to magnus. How ever next one I try out will be a fixed blade like the g5.

FireHawk Owner
10-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Rage are awsome Broadheads. I won't shot anything else. I shot a 270 Boar last year, hit him in the shoulder and it went throw and stopped at the other shoulder. I still have the Broadhead there's nothing wrong with it. If you now anything about Hogs front shoulders, you know that Bad @zz Broadhead.

Ehunter
11-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Just shot a buck using the Rage 2 blade. I must admit I made a bad shot. However, the Rage performed admirably, and gave some unexpected results. On thing I'd never thought about is, when the blades deploy, they are basically like barbs on a bowfishing head. They really keep the arrow anchored in the animal causing alot of damage. That's the one thing that made this hunt successful. One bad note, the durability of the blades is FAR less than what I would have expected or desired. One shot, and the blades are bent so badly that the head can't be used again. Still sharp, but bent so that they won't close. All in all, the heads work VERY well, but don't plan on using them more than once.

RobD
11-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Just shot a buck using the Rage 2 blade. I must admit I made a bad shot. However, the Rage performed admirably, and gave some unexpected results. On thing I'd never thought about is, when the blades deploy, they are basically like barbs on a bowfishing head. They really keep the arrow anchored in the animal causing alot of damage. That's the one thing that made this hunt successful. One bad note, the durability of the blades is FAR less than what I would have expected or desired. One shot, and the blades are bent so badly that the head can't be used again. Still sharp, but bent so that they won't close. All in all, the heads work VERY well, but don't plan on using them more than once. I agree with you about the durability of the blades on rage broadhead. Most of the Bucks that I have shot the blades were bent. But the cut was way bigger then any other BH I have ever used, and I tried quite a few different brands. That being said I will buy a new BH for every deer I kill with one. The results of BH is much worth it.
Now I see Rage has a titanium BH out now, which might solve the bending problem? Might have to buy a set of them to try. They are much more pricier then regular Rage. But if it can be reused it will pay off in the long run.

Ehunter
11-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I think the ferrule is Titanium, but the blades are still stainless on the new Rage. If that is the case, it's a waste of money. I was thinking they could just make the blades a bit thicker, to take up some of the loose slack between the blades. I got 6 of them as a gift this summer, and every one of them has alot of play in the blades. I know they can't fit tight and still open reliably, but as much "rattle room" as they have, I'd think they could thicken them up a bit at least.

RLW
11-08-2010, 05:14 AM
I know for most of you guys posting this isn't an issue, but if you ever plan a trip to hunt Idaho, don't bring the expanding broadheads. They are illegal here.

Among other archery requirements, part of what you can not have here is:
• Arrows or bolts having expanding broadheads.
• Arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.

Ehunter
11-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Good to know RLW, thanks for the info.

RobD
11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I know for most of you guys posting this isn't an issue, but if you ever plan a trip to hunt Idaho, don't bring the expanding broadheads. They are illegal here.

Among other archery requirements, part of what you can not have here is:
Arrows or bolts having expanding broadheads.
Arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.
Nice to know.
What would be the reason they are not legal? Just curios.

RLW
11-12-2010, 06:40 AM
Nice to know.
What would be the reason they are not legal? Just curios.

I can't remember now what all the reasons are. Possible early concerns/reports of mechanical failures of not opening completely, blade breakage. Several mechanical heads had blades that would open pass 90 degree making it a barbed tip which is a no-no here.......we want the arrow coming out and not having a poorly shot lightly wounded deer running around with an arrow flopping all over for non-hunters to see.

Other things we can not have, is any electronic device like sight lights or even lighted nocks on arrow.

Equipment regulations are changes slow to come by here. To even be considered, there must be good supporting research, along with overwhelming support from meetings held and/or surveys taken of local sportsman before any changes are made.

For the most part (movable blades excluded) we follow Pope & Young rules. Having greater than 65% let-off wasn't allowed here until after P & Y raised it to 80%.........that wasn't that many years ago.

justin
11-12-2010, 03:26 PM
iowa's bowhunting laws are pretty liberal.... excepting crosbows(handicapped only) pretty much anything goes. you do have to shoot at least an 18 inch aarow though, and have to shoot a broadhead of some sort. no minimum width on broadhead, no bow poundage restrictions, and draw locks are legal for anyone. no projected light sights either (laser)

but still, about anything goes.

does anyone know how fast a 25 lb junior compound can shoot?