PDA

View Full Version : destroyer question for you

J758
10-11-2010, 06:25 AM
Hey, its me again. I forgot to tell you my name is justin. You seem smart and know what's up. I'm going to my back up arrows heavier. So I'm gonna see if my bow is actually on 70 lbs. Can you over make your limb bolts too tight? I still have space the guy at the pro shop told me I was on 70 lbs but I think he turned it down so he could draw it back.

I want to say its five pounds per turn. On the cheeta/bone hunter. Just wanted to hear your thought before I go messin around. Don't want to ruin my bow.

bfisher
10-11-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not Destroyer, Justin, but can help. Most Martin bows change draw weight 3# per turn. Most will go about 2# to 4# over their rated draw weight. This isn't too critical, but I don't like pushing a 70#er to 74#. If you bottom the limb bolts and it's a couple pound over it won't hurt.

Besides, if you are going to shoot a heavier arrow this can only help matters, but how heavy is heavy?

J758
10-11-2010, 11:31 AM
512 total grain. Is a lot more heavy. Setting up for a 15 yard shot. I'm down to my back up arrow. Arrows been passing through deer and upon exit through chest breaking.

J758
10-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I forgot to mention my GT are 380 TG. And I'm keeping the rest for league in november.

RobD
10-11-2010, 11:39 AM
You will need some type of scale.to really know what its set at.Or take it back to proshop and watch the scale as he checks it.He shouldn't charge for that.specially if you have had him do work in the past. All bows are different even the same brands are different.

Destroyer
10-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Can you over make your limb bolts too tight?

You can over-tighten them but that's a slightly different thing. As long as you stop when the limb bottoms there is no drama.

Watch the draw weight though, don't shoot a bow heavier than you can handle, that's when form errors can creep in, and even damage to your shoulder. You might be better shooting the same weight and loosing the speed, especially at 15 yards, not a big difference at that range justin.

Greg.

polaris754
10-11-2010, 03:10 PM
i agree with greg the shoulder thing is what u have to contend with , so beware dont over do it :eek:

bfisher
10-11-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree with Greg, too. I don't hunt any more but when I did I handled things a bit differently from what ost consider the norm. I shot year round (still do). I used to shoot field, indoor target, and 3D. When it came time to set up for hunting I actually turned the bow down about 5# just due to the fact that during hunting season I didn't shoot near as much. Drawing more draw weight with cold muscles is just looking for some type of injury. It's not worth it.

Destroyer
10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Drawing more draw weight with cold muscles is just looking for some type of injury. It's not worth it.

Exactly, but try telling that to ppl who think you have to draw a 70# hard cam bow to be successful.