PDA

View Full Version : sight and peep question

duey1977
10-13-2010, 08:27 AM
when i look through my peep how much of the circle of the sight should i be able to see. all of it or just the leveler and the pins.

FireHawk Owner
10-13-2010, 08:54 AM
What ever way you feel comfortable with, Some hunters like to see the hole ring around there sight, Also the bigger the peep the more light it lets through.The smaller the peep, the more accurate. Most Pro shooter use a small Peep. I have been using a small one for hunting latly, But I am noticing,I'm having a hard time seeing once sunsets-low light. So I am Going to try a bigger one. Good Luck.

Destroyer
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Depends on what technique your using. A popular technique these days is to align your peep with the ring of your sight so you need to see at least some of the inner circle of your sight. The older way is to center the peep on a pin which doesn't require as much of a view and you can use a smaller peep for better accuracy. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Depends on what technique your using. A popular technique these days is to align your peep with the ring of your sight so you need to see at least some of the inner circle of your sight. The older way is to center the peep on a pin which doesn't require as much of a view and you can use a smaller peep for better accuracy. :)

x2 ;) I agree

ezbite
10-13-2010, 08:06 PM

yep, what i do, i shoot a 1/4" peep

elkslayer4x5
10-14-2010, 06:47 AM
yep, what i do, i shoot a 1/4" peep

Same here, 1/4 peep on the Slayers. :)

Destroyer
10-14-2010, 08:28 PM
3/16" for me. :)

yep, what i do

Same here, tried it once and now do it automatically without having to think about it. Normally it takes a while to adjust but not with this.

SonnyThomas
10-15-2010, 05:27 AM
As already said there are variations of peep and sights.

My hunting rig only has one pin and I use a 1/8" peep. Here, around dawn or early eveing the peep opening looks the size of a 5 gallon bucket. Well, not that big, but looks big.

Another way is to have a peep of the size where the pins, not the housing, is seen within the opening. Here, you center the pins (top and bottom) within the opening and then place the pin you want on the target.

Spiker
10-15-2010, 08:04 AM
I use 1/8" peeps also. G5 Meta Peeps. With my Sword sights the sight ring outlines the peeps at full draw. Was a bit strange at first but now it just centers without thinking about it at all.

polaris754
10-20-2010, 03:41 PM
just the way i do it i close my eyes ,draw the bow and open , if the peeps high of center i move it accordingly to center werks fer me i try to have the level in view ,and just pick up the inside skirts of the ring , good luc @!:rolleyes:

dragonsfire311
10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
I center which ever pin I'm useing in the peep but can also see the level at the bottom of my sight.

ElkSlayer
10-22-2010, 06:58 AM
Well I have to use both ways for now... old sight wasa 5pin squared housing so it was just center pin....then we won a bow , I sold everthing but the fuse sight. slaped that micro ajustable brightly lit thing on MY bow now its gota realy bright green ring on scope face that i center in my peep...love that.....Now the cougar III has an HHA w/ 2" scope...sadly i cant see that.have to center that pin... So come on 4x lens kit hurry up an get here.....then i can deside what size peep i may need to change to.. It is a small dia 3/16 perhaps 1/8... yes I know 1/4 would let me see scope..need that 4x 1st ....:rolleyes:come on already

elkslayer4x5
10-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Good morning ElkSlayer,
I know you said you were getting up early this am, so what? you're still up? It was after 1 am when my phone batt died. With that weather front moving in, I know you and Rhino are allready long gone.
Sorry guys, nothing technical here, just wondering why my son was posting at 4 in the morning. :D
That bear candy came out like real sticky gummie bears, really gonna stick the roof of their mouths like a puppy with peanutbutter! There, thats sorta techie.

alex
10-22-2010, 01:16 PM
So you are ElkSlayer Sr. and Jr., right? :)

elkslayer4x5
10-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Yes ElkSlayer is my son. He used the name way back when he first went online, then changed to elkslayer6x5, the 65 being the year he was born, and so when I needed a user name I used his idea and became elkslayer4x5. I'm elkslayer4x5 on any hunting sight I've registered on, and thats a bunch of 'em. :D

alex
10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
It's nice that you share a hobby and an alias :)

bfisher
10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes ElkSlayer is my son. He used the name way back when he first went online, then changed to elkslayer6x5, the 65 being the year he was born, and so when I needed a user name I used his idea and became elkslayer4x5. I'm elkslayer4x5 on any hunting sight I've registered on, and thats a bunch of 'em. :D

I thought maybe the 6X5 meant something else. So does that mean you were born in '45 or are you 45 years old or...........?

elkslayer4x5
10-24-2010, 06:00 AM
I thought maybe the 6X5 meant something else. So does that mean you were born in '45 or are you 45 years old or...........?

Yep it's my birth year, 65 now, still hunting. And no, I did Not shoot the raghorn :D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-24-2010, 06:15 AM
Yep it's my birth year, 65 now, still hunting. :D

elkslayer4x5 you still got a long ways to go. My mother in law is 72:eek: and still hunting!

Montalaar
10-24-2010, 12:47 PM
So is Elkslayer9x8 your grandchild?

ElkSlayer
10-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Now YA went an spooked that 9x8.( saw this an wanted to know how did that guy know) lol..yes he is My son, 4x5s grand son .. Iam 6x5 on Archery Talk all birth years...whole heard of us elk's... back to topic. 9x8 is now using a 1/4" peep with his hha 1'5/8 scope dia..should help him improve his range score