PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts?

baerman
10-14-2010, 04:15 AM
Hey Guys,
What are your thoughts on the elimination of the Cat 2 cams and most of the bow models that were available last year.....like Matin's fastest, the Warhog? Also, nothing on converting from the highly touted laminated limb to a solid glass limb from a technological perspective. Most companies follow a developmental model instead of simply eliminating everything and starting over. I would be interested in your thoughts....
Take care and shoot straight!

SonnyThomas
10-14-2010, 06:17 AM
I haven't seen the catalog yet. Evidently my computer has a problem, new modem not configured correctly.

I heard the Scepter was gone, one of Martin's finest bows. This last year it was shortened and made fast. I don't understand why it was dropped. I'd liked to have tried one, but seems dealers don't have them on hand. The Slayer was accurate and fast and dropped. I liked the one I tried though the drop in the valley was quite severe. The short Warthog replaced it and now it is gone. Seems a whole crop of short bows are in the line up. Well, I don't care for short bows. Seems like everyone likes the FireCat, 4th generation for 2011, and nice as a bow it is I wouldn't own one. The Shadowcat is still with us and I'd be interested in one even though the one I shoot now made a believer out of me (as said in another reply, my Hoyt ProElite is gathering dust).
So are we looking at the Rytera line, a merging if you will, filling in the gap?

baerman
10-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Hey SonnyThomas,
Interesting comment about Rytera filling in the product line......I hadn't considered that. Do you know whether the Rytera product line for 2011 has been released as of yet....or does anyone know that? By the way, if you go to ArcheryTalk and scoll down just a bit on the home page, there's an icon that you can click on that will take you to the 2011 catalog. It just might work for you, SonnyThomas. Good luck!

Brem
10-14-2010, 07:03 AM
The Nitro Cam seems to me to be very close to the Hybrix cam in design. That being said I have own both cams and the Hybrix is much smoother than the CAT, likely the cause for the change. Not having the "speed bow" in the lineup perplexes me. I looked at the last 10 years of this catagory for martin

2001 Cougar Mag -315 fps
2002 Cougar Mag -315 fps
2003 Cougar Mag -310 fps
2004 SlayR Mag 325 fps
2005 SlayR Mag 325 fps
2006 SlayR Extreme 335 fps
2007 SlayR Extreme 335 fps
2008 SlayR X 350 fps
2009 Warthog 350 fps
2010 Warthog 350 fps
2011 Firecat400/Silencer - 345 fps

This is the first drop in top end IBO speed since 2002-2003

I kind of figured that when the SC came out last year that the S4 was going to be gone soon.

The limb situation is something they want to forget. When I was on the phone with CS and mentioned all the limb problems they were having it was like " limb problems, what limb problems". Yea right I was one of the victims of this travesty.

A complete revamp is also perplexing to me, you have to wean loyal customers off of popular products not just yank the teat away!!

There are teasers of the Rytera 365 but nothing on specs yet.

alex
10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
By the way, if you go to ArcheryTalk and scoll down just a bit on the home page, there's an icon that you can click on that will take you to the 2011 catalog. It just might work for you, SonnyThomas. Good luck!

How about a link, please! :) Oops, just saw it is on the home page :D

baerman
10-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Good Morning Brem,
Yes, you are correct.....when my brand new Warthog cracked it's lower limb after just over a dozen arrows, their response to me was that they were un-aware of any limb problems. That's when I suspected that I'd never get that bow up to specs again, and I haven't. Still about 20 fps slower than the original laminated limbs which is one of the major factors in choosing the Martin to begin with. Anyway, I've never seen such an un-explained 180...first the laminated limbs were touted as being superior in all of the industry, and then in the middle of the night.....you're a "solid glass limb" kind of company. Anyway, I do love the way the Warthog handles, and it's still a fairly fast bow....just hope that the new 2011 limbs that they sent me hold up. Take care!

alex
10-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Just saw the catalog. My first comment is: Give the girl at least a pair of shoes! ;)

Montalaar
10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey Guys,
What are your thoughts on the elimination of the Cat 2 cams and most of the bow models that were available last year.....like Matin's fastest, the Warhog? Also, nothing on converting from the highly touted laminated limb to a solid glass limb from a technological perspective. Most companies follow a developmental model instead of simply eliminating everything and starting over. I would be interested in your thoughts....
Take care and shoot straight!

The CAT Cam has not been eliminated. It is just ... renamed! ;)

SonnyThomas, check http://issuu.com/martinarchery for an online catalog.

Spiker
10-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Just saw the catalog. My first comment is: Give the girl at least a pair of shoes! ;)

I was thinking a pair of shorts and no shoes.

Oh - and a newer bow.

alex
10-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I was thinking a pair of shorts and no shoes.

You're heartless - the winter's coming fast and "no shoes, but shorts"! :D
Well, my second comment - i really like the skull camo and HATE the leopard. A Shadowcat with a skull camo riser and black limbs is the thing from the new line that i'd like to have most. The new quick detached stabilizer system is a little strange for me - can't understand what's the need of it. Other then that i can't see what's the point of the duplication of the bows from the Pro into the Gold series. But generally the 2011 bows look very good to me.

Montalaar
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Shorts? Uhm, i'd say... you take the shorts, i take the girl. But then... Laura is a nice person for sure, but not my kind of taste (well... you'd understand that if you were as tall as me, lol).

I like the QD on the bows. It makes really sense if you go to the woods and have no greater demand. For archery like me the QD is senseless. Hence i do not miss a QD at the ShadowCat. I use a V-Bar with 3 QD for my three stabilizers and the V-Bar should not be removed anyway.

alex
10-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Can't understand why you'll want to detach quickly your stabilizer in the woods. The quiver - yes, but the stabilizer? Unless you've mounted some gadgets on it like chrony or camera. Is it worth adding another moving part to the riser?

Spiker
10-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Can't understand why you'll want to detach quickly your stabilizer in the woods. The quiver - yes, but the stabilizer? Unless you've mounted some gadgets on it like chrony or camera. Is it worth adding another moving part to the riser?

Makes it a bit easier to remove to put your bow in a case for transport.

SonnyThomas
10-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Makes it a bit easier to remove to put your bow in a case for transport.

Somebody please tell me the Shadowcat doesn't have it.

Destroyer
10-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Laura is a nice person for sure, but not my kind of taste

She is my kind of taste for sure. Such a pretty girl.

Can't understand why you'll want to detach quickly your stabilizer in the woods

Same here, stupid idea unless you have a long stabilizer. You can always buy one if needed. Doesn't look like the Shadow Cat has one, which is good.

I like that some of the bows have a increased length between the roto and the limb bolt, better alignment hopefully. Grip is are more like a PSE B.E.S.T which I like. I hope the limbs are good.

SonnyThomas
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
[QUOTE=Destroyer;32920] Doesn't look like the Shadow Cat has one, which is good.
QUOTE]

Thank God. As for quick disconnects, I use a Pro Release. No turning or having to tighten. Neat, looks like a snap coupling. Easy on, easy off.

Montalaar
10-15-2010, 12:26 AM
A QD is a useful tool for people that practice a lot. Many Martin bows had no insert in which the stab screwd into. If you practice often per week the thread inside the bow could be destroyed.

bfisher
10-15-2010, 04:22 AM
[QUOTE=Destroyer;32920] Doesn't look like the Shadow Cat has one, which is good.
QUOTE]

Thank God. As for quick disconnects, I use a Pro Release. No turning or having to tighten. Neat, looks like a snap coupling. Easy on, easy off.

True, there are several aftermarket QD's. I, for one, don't see the need for it to be machined in the riser as I like to use a 10* down QD and I'm not sure Martin's would give that flexibility.

I haven't seen the bows yet, but I think I'd prefer to see more finesse to machining rounded edges and such on the cams and modules. Seems like that's where they've has most of their string/serving wear the last couple years.

SonnyThomas
10-15-2010, 05:17 AM
A QD is a useful tool for people that practice a lot. Many Martin bows had no insert in which the stab screwed into. If you practice often per week the thread inside the bow could be destroyed.

QDs have been around for years. The advent of the stainless steel insert sure improved things. Less wear on the threads and no tearing up the paint job. To machine one into the riser could very well be the downfall of that riser. Let's face it, some people are clumsy, non-thinking, force things that shouldn't be forced. There ain't no doubt in my mind some jerk will find away to screw up the nut and/or riser. The nut can be replaced, but what about the riser opening?
Here's a pic of the Pro Release.

baerman
10-15-2010, 05:24 AM
I believe that it was Saunders, in years past, that made an insert device that screwed into the riser and then the stabilizer into the insert. When traveling, you simply turned the insert a few turns and the stabilizer would lower down parallel to the bows riser and you could lock it in the down position. Upon arriving at your destination, you would raise the stabilizer and turn clockwise until tight. That took care of the soft (at that time, magnesium) riser if there was no insert. I used one for many years on the same bow and it worked perfectly....so well, in fact, that I lock-tited the insert in place. Anyway......just another solution to the "non-stainless insert" issue.

davydtune
10-15-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't have a problem with it. The Hybrix cams are a much better design IMO. I just wish they would bring back the Nitrous cams :(

alex
10-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm not 100% sure but think the new Shadowcat also has it. From what i've seen in the catalog this QD is a simple bushing laying into a hole in the riser from the left side - when you screw the stabilizer it's tightened. Theoretically this should work well. I don't find it practical - the QDs put into the traditional stabilizer hole are better i think. And by the way it's not so difficult to unscrew the stabilizer - the 10 seconds less with the new system won't make the life a happy dream ;)

Montalaar
10-15-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm not 100% sure but think the new Shadowcat also has it. From what i've seen in the catalog this QD is a simple bushing laying into a hole in the riser from the left side - when you screw the stabilizer it's tightened. Theoretically this should work well. I don't find it practical - the QDs put into the traditional stabilizer hole are better i think. And by the way it's not so difficult to unscrew the stabilizer - the 10 seconds less with the new system won't make the life a happy dream ;)

Nope, it has it not. The catalog does not show it, neither is it advertised as a feature of the ShadowCat.

alex
10-15-2010, 08:13 AM
I've seen the catalog only once :)

Montalaar
10-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Then take a look again. ;)

http://issuu.com/martinarchery/docs/martin_archery_2011_catalog_150dpi2a

alex
10-15-2010, 08:29 AM
:) I didn't doubt in your words. The design of the riser doesn't allow the QD. Good news for Sonny.

davydtune
10-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Then take a look again. ;)

http://issuu.com/martinarchery/docs/martin_archery_2011_catalog_150dpi2a

Looks like the thinned the grips up a bit :)