PDA

View Full Version : D LOOP/limbsavers

J758
10-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey everyone! Been researching d loops. A neighbor I was shooting with has a metal dloop! Anyone every seen this if so what's the pros and cons?

I want to get some thing to put on my limbs to take some shock out. Its not bad but I don't want anything on my string. Just my loop. My bone hunter is very very quiet just wanna find something else I can use. Is their something for the cheetah u can put by the cams? I went with a stabilizer called the fuze works great! I'm not a fan of metal ones or really long ones also I was thinking can you get more vibration mods for em?

Spiker
10-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I would never put one of those metal loops on anything.
Just me but I wont even put a brass nock point on.
The new Martin catalog has a couple different V.E.M.'s listed in it.
Why dont you want to put whiskers or bowjax on the string? You will never be able to tell the difference in speed - if there is any.
I put a set of BowJax on my Nemesis right against the 2 speed nocks and gained 1.5fps. Not that it matters but...
I like the LimbJax for the limbs. About $14 a pair and come in a few different colors.

J758
10-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I just don't like it. Only reason. And its a newer bow which is quiet. Got cat whiskers on a older bow.

I'm the same way. No metal on string. Just wanted. Input. Not a speed thing just more of a mental thing. For me. l

bfisher
10-14-2010, 02:51 PM
The only proper place for a metal loop is in the trash can. There are tons of horror stories about mishaps with them. I've personally replaced strings that snapped right at the top edge of these loops. Heck, I have even quit using brass nock sets.

Destroyer
10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
The only proper place for a metal loop is in the trash can.

Agree, they are popular with some that are afraid of getting the face punch, understand that but I wont use one.

Montalaar
10-15-2010, 12:32 AM
I used a metal loop around 4 or 5 months. Wasted time.

I hit my arm one time with it and had a 1" cut. Search for 'TRU loop' on youtube and you will see why you should NEVER even think about it. Those loops are a risk for your own health and for the bows health.

alex
10-15-2010, 07:04 AM
When i was completely new to compounds i also tought of using one of these - then understand how SIMPLE is to make a d-loop. I don't even use a d-loop material, but an extra tough 1.7mm nylon cord enduring a 50kg pull. Bought 100metres thinking that would change the loop frequently, but after about 15 months it's still ok. Guess if i have grandchildren they'll use the same reel :D

Destroyer
10-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Guess if i have grandchildren they'll use the same reel

They might be using traditional gear, bows made by their grandpa. :)

SonnyThomas
10-15-2010, 06:07 PM
File 13 for the metal d-loop. Good material for a string loop will last as long as the string, provided the release doesn't have rough or sharp edges.

Limb Saver or LimbJax and cat whiskers for the string. My experience, those "worms" or BowJaxs don'ts last while cat whiskers are inexpensive, $1.75.

copterdoc
10-15-2010, 08:09 PM
I just don't like it. Only reason. And its a newer bow which is quiet. Got cat whiskers on a older bow.

I'm the same way. No metal on string. Just wanted. Input. Not a speed thing just more of a mental thing. For me. l

I have done a lot of speed testing with string silencers and with "speed nocks".

I have determined that string silencers actually INCREASE arrow speed, in almost every case. Just like speed nocks do.

My personal favorite is the Simms "crossbow" leech. I don't care what new names they come up with for it, I know it when I see it.

The largest source of vibration, by a wide margin is the string. It only makes sense to dampen the vibration at the source, not farther down the line. (I also use "Limb Savers", but I would give them up, before the Leeches!)

alex
10-16-2010, 09:36 AM
They might be using traditional gear, bows made by their grandpa. :)

:) Hope so. But let's see what the new technologies will be like.

Destroyer
10-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I have determined that string silencers actually INCREASE arrow speed, in almost every case.

I loose about 7fps with two catwiskers on my 2010 bow, not much. Had to take the top one off due to contact with the split yoke, that or serve the area and I couldn't be bothered. Have to test the speed difference today. :)

J758
10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Really? Never heard of putting something on your string and getting a increase in speed. If it does affect it really I don't think it would be noticeable unlees chronoed. I just don't care for anything on the string. My new bow. Its not loud. But if I did I would put the whiskers on. Cheaper. Got them on a alpine rebel works well. (Free bow from the inlaw) its the back up bow.

Destroyer
10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Tested the bow with one catwisker, 1 strip cut in half (doubled) and tied in 5" from the bottom axle. Speed was 274 fps average, only down 3 fps from the stop only speed of 277fps, which is not too bad. With two catwiskers the speed was 270 fps.

Some noise testing next. The quietest combo was with two catwiskers and no stop (but with issues), very quiet though. The next quietest setup was with just one catwiskers and again no stop. Put the stop back on with the single catwiskers it was acceptable with more of a thunk, but not too bad. Next was the stop only and of course after that with no stop the noise was the worse, naturally.

Not sure if the stop affects anything else though, there might be some other benefit to the bow like accuracy, tuning, etc. Anyway going to try a hunting test next with the stop to see how much it affects the bunnies, just to see if the noise is a actual hunting concern or just in my head. ;)

J758
10-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks D. I'm gonna do some testing as well. Just been hunting non stop. So my set up is tied up. Worked well for my first harvest. But I am gonna play with the sts bar and silencers and such. Ill get back with ya. Also gonna test the rage 2 some more. Metal wood and stuff. Just for fun.

copterdoc
10-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I forgot to add one thing.

The bows I tested that had STS type string stops, and the Mathews limb mounted string stops, did not benefit at all from speed nocks, or String Leeches.

However, when the string stops were removed, the average gain was 6 F.P.S.

If I really spent a lot of time, and tried various weights and placements, I could pick up 10 F.P.S. in some cases.

I do not now, nor will I ever again, install an STS type damper on my bows.