PDA

View Full Version : ShadowCat Arrow Question

NeilM
10-16-2010, 09:42 AM
I've been setting my ShadowCat up today and to start with I was having a bit of a left / right problem. After some thought I changed from 400 to 340 spine arrows and the problem was gone.

I have not measured the poundage of the bow, as I tend to set my bows up over the chrono. On testing with 30" arrows and a DL of 30.5" I found the bow was set to 308fps. I have reduced this to just under 300fps to comply with competition rules, but I am still finding the bow prefers the 340 spine arrows. My Bowtech Constitution(s) have always performed superbly with 400 spine arrows, at the same velocity.

I should add that I am a finger shooter and that the bow is fitted with Barnsdale limbs.

So, my question is: Do ShadowCat's prefer a slightly stiffer spined arrow?

Montalaar
10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
In my opinion:
YES

As you may know i have the draw of 32". At 60 lbs i always shot .400 GT (150gr point, 31" arrow) with the Razor-X and it was great.

With the ShadowCat i use .300 arrows and they just seem to fly very good (165gr point, 32" arrow).

NeilM
10-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks, thats good...and bad.

Good to know my theory is right. Bad because I have used 400 Lightspeeds for a long time. I have dozens of them in batched sets of 8. They work with all the other bows I have and I have used them to win more 3D and field competitions that you can shake a stick at, and now?

Now I have to buy a whole bunch of new shafts and get busy making and matching arrows all over again :mad:

Ah well, something to do when it's cold, wet and dark and I guess it beats watching TV. :D

Destroyer
10-16-2010, 04:34 PM
I should add that I am a finger shooter

That might have something to do with it too, you would need a fantastic release to compare to a release aid. Choosing by draw weight is more important than speed although setting up by speed would be easier if it always worked out. :)

SonnyThomas
10-16-2010, 08:29 PM
I should add that I am a finger shooter and that the bow is fitted with Barnsdale limbs.

That might have something to do with it too, you would need a fantastic release to compare to a release aid. Choosing by draw weight is more important than speed although setting up by speed would be easier if it always worked out. :)

Destroyer may a point here, fingers. I don't have the gorilla arms you two have. How tall, may I ask, 6' 6" or thereof?
My Shadowcat is set to 28" and 58 pounds. I shoot CXL 250 SSs with 75 gr tips and Bohning X Vanes, 1.75" Shield Cuts. I have a CXL 150 SSs ordered.

NeilM
10-16-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm 6'1" and if I extend my left arm, instead of bending the elbow a little, then my DL goes up to 31" or maybe a fraction more. Speed is never an issue for me :D

I'm aware that 400 spine arrows with hard cams at around 60 lbs are right on the limit and I have tried 340 spine arrows with my Constitution unsuccessfully, so I shouldn't be too surprised the ShadowCat needs a stiffer arrow. I just wanted to compare my experience with other archers.

The Shadowcat's fine bow and after shooting for several hours with it yesterday, I have none of the shoulder ache I would have if I had been using my Connie.

Montalaar
10-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm 6'1" and if I extend my left arm, instead of bending the elbow a little, then my DL goes up to 31" or maybe a fraction more. Speed is never an issue for me :D

I'm aware that 400 spine arrows with hard cams at around 60 lbs are right on the limit and I have tried 340 spine arrows with my Constitution unsuccessfully, so I shouldn't be too surprised the ShadowCat needs a stiffer arrow. I just wanted to compare my experience with other archers.

The Shadowcat's fine bow and after shooting for several hours with it yesterday, I have none of the shoulder ache I would have if I had been using my Connie.

6'5" for me. COuld go to 32.5" in draw when i'd extend my arms instead of bending it a bit. Speed can never be an issue. We can only be too fast.

Just btw. Destroyer, actually you can switch all those Hybrid Cams on the modern bows with no effect. NBA, Elite, Martin. All Cams are quite similar. It would ne no problem at all to switch the Cams.

NeilM
10-17-2010, 12:20 AM
We can only be too fast.

Ha ha ha, you have that right.

Destroyer: The associations I shoot within have a limit of 300 fps and so all my bows are set to be just under that, at around 285 to 295fps. As all my bows are around 58 to 60 lbs I don't worry too much about poundage.

I am currently considering what arrows to use: I have a set of Sky Art Rapids that I made up as a test set, they are light at 7.3gpi and seem like a good tough shaft. Unfortunately, the UK importer no longer lists them. I also have a set of Victory VForce HV's, but they are set up for my release bows and so the fletchings are too small for finger shooting consistently.

I am a great fan of Easton Lightspeed's, the 350's are only 8.3gpi and with the extra poundage available from the Cat, I could easily get the velocity I want.

As a 3D and field archer I don't worry too much about FOC, so use either 80 or 100 grain points to get the total weight of the arrow over 6 grains per pound minimum. I like Quickspin fletchings in 2.25" size (fletched straight), I have tried a lot of other fletchings and find at past 45 yards the QS's hold a consistently tighter group.

I might pick up a dozen Lightspeed's this week and bang some spare Blazers on three, just to see how they go.

Any other suggestions?

Destroyer
10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
I like Quickspin fletchings in 2.25" size (fletched straight), I have tried a lot of other fletchings and find at past 45 yards the QS's hold a consistently tighter group.

Hey if it works out good with the quickspins......;)

Personally for fingers, I would be looking for a heavy shaft (modern times lol) with as much fletching as I can get. Around 500 grains with 5" fletching. Same old answer from me I'm afraid mate. :D

NeilM
10-17-2010, 09:46 PM
There are no rhinos, elephants or water buffalo in the UK (or bow hunting for that matter), so a 500grn arrow is not necessary :D

madlaz
10-18-2010, 04:40 AM
Well if bow hunting is not allowed in the UK ,then if Robin Hood was still alive he would have to starve to death or just continue to poach as in old England.lol

NeilM
10-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Well if bow hunting is not allowed in the UK ,then if Robin Hood was still alive he would have to starve to death or just continue to poach as in old England.lol

Sad, but true.

But then Robin did not have the advantage of a .308 Win rifle :D

Bowhunting has been illegal here since the late 1970's. Too many instances of wounded animals being found with crossbow bolts sticking out of them. Including a deer with one in its face and a duck landing in a public park with a bolt sticking out of both sides (point on one side, fletchings on the other). :mad:

elkslayer4x5
10-18-2010, 07:12 AM
to win more 3D and field competitions that you can shake a stick at

you would need a fantastic release

Sounds like he does have that release! :D