PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Ocelot

wkoehler
10-19-2010, 08:42 AM
I would like to continue using my bow but problems have arisen. I can't find any charts on split cable and string length for it. I need to replace all. Also, I am supposed to be pulling 65-80# but I am only getting 57# with the limbs adjusted all the way in. I have taken good care of this bow through the years and it has served me well but i don't think that it should have only lasted 12 seasons. Do I need new limbs,...seriously? This bow has killed ..

1 Roosevelt Elk
2 Pope and Young class Black Bears
1 Sitka Whitetail
1 Turkey
20 or so Wisconsin Whitetails

It deserves to be kept up. I know, I know, everybody is probably thinking I should just suck it up and buy a new one. I will eventually, but I sure would like to get a few more seasons out of this one. I have been a loyal Martin customer and would like to buy a Martin next time.

Stats: 1997/98 ? (bought it Spring of 99) Martin Ocelot
Fury Cams- 2HL
Split Recurve Limbs 16 5/8 " long(no visible damage or delamination)
65-80# now drawing 57#

Someone please help.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Welcome to the forum wkoehler.:)

I think that once you replace your string and cables you will find that the poundage will increase, but I am unsure if it will increase to 80#. I am assuming that the string and cables on the bow now have been used for a few years, so they are probably longer than they should be.
I could not find specs for the string and cables, but someone else might have them.

bfisher
10-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Hutch is right. Over the years your string and cable have most likely stretched quite a bit reducing the preload on the limbs. This would account for the loss in draw weight. Seriously, limbs may lose about 2-3# over the course of ten years or so, but not to the point of what you are experiencing.

The easiest way to be able to tell is to measure the A2A and brace height of the bow as compared to factory specs. My guess is that the A2A will be long and the brace height shorter than it should be.

Of course this supposes that you know or can find the specs for the bow, which I cannot help with. Do you know what year it was made? The first two numbers of the serial number should tell you.

wkoehler
10-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Real good advice guys. Thank you. I can see that if all of the strings are stretched it would definitely weaken the draw. I had new cables put on in about '03 or so and a few strings along the way through normal wear. Who knows if the shop who replaced the cables even put on the right ones? It looks like I need to break down and get new cables and definitely a string.

Two problems though as have been metioned:

1) What sizes are they? Are there no charts available?

2) The cables and strings must be made of gold because I'm seeing about $90 just for cables and $16-$20 or so for the string. Is there a more affordable option or am I just going to have to pay the Big-Boy-Toys price? I remember making bowstrings in Boy Scouts and it really wasn't $110 hard.

Brem
10-19-2010, 11:48 AM
I found specs for a 1998 Ocelot, couldnt find string lengths though. This will help I hope.

Fury Cams
Let-0ff 65%
Axle to Axle Length 40 1/2"
Mass Weight 3 lb. 13 oz.
Brace Height 7 1/8"
Sight Window 6"
Peak Weights 40#-80#
Draw Lengths 24"-32"
IBO Speed Rating 305-310

bfisher
10-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Real good advice guys. Thank you. I can see that if all of the strings are stretched it would definitely weaken the draw. I had new cables put on in about '03 or so and a few strings along the way through normal wear. Who knows if the shop who replaced the cables even put on the right ones? It looks like I need to break down and get new cables and definitely a string.

Two problems though as have been metioned:

1) What sizes are they? Are there no charts available?

2) The cables and strings must be made of gold because I'm seeing about $90 just for cables and $16-$20 or so for the string. Is there a more affordable option or am I just going to have to pay the Big-Boy-Toys price? I remember making bowstrings in Boy Scouts and it really wasn't $110 hard.

For a decent price on what may be decent strings I'll tel you like I told a couple others on here. Try H&M bowstrings. I recommended them as a nice affordable alternative to those $100+ Winner's Choice strings. One or two guys here got them and are well satisfied. Use the search function. Type in H&M and see where it takes you.

What's more, you can call a few places that make strings and they most likely have your bow specs on hand and can tell you what lengths you'll need. Afterall, that's what they do.

I do have to tell you this though. String materials and manufacturing processes have come a long way since those Boy Scout days. Leaps and bound if you want to know the truth. String making is a science all to it's own these days.

Spiker
10-20-2010, 06:30 AM
Also remember that the length of the shooting string depends on what #Fury Cam is on the bow. The split cables will be the same for all Fury sizes on your model bow.

wkoehler
10-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Solution found for my woes.

1) called Martin to get the string and cable lengths.

2) called H&M Bowstrings. $53.00 for both cables and the shooting string!

I should be ship-shape in about a week. Thanks to all who responded to my post. :D

Spiker
10-22-2010, 09:51 AM
What # cams do you have and what is the string/cable lengths?

wkoehler
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
2hl cams. (this is for a 27" draw which I like to avoid whacking my jacket(s) when it is -10 deg F on those challenging December days)

53" shooting string.
39" split cables.

The guys at Martin were really helpful, so if you have a different cam just give them a call. (509) 529-2554

Good luck.

Put one through the engine room this weekend.:p

Spiker
10-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the specs.

wkoehler
11-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Ok, new cables and string. Still only pulling 57#. I think my bow needs overload springs added just like my truck. This bow just might be doomed. Any chance Martin will give me a discount on a new one? I'll limp it through one more season.

Montalaar
11-02-2010, 12:04 PM
Call them and try it!

gibson 787
11-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Still only pulling 57#.

Just a thought, but maybe the limbs are incorrectly marked at 80#, it does happen occasionally. Did you ever measure the poundage on them in the past?
If not, they may be 60 pounders.

Montalaar
11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
If you get a discount, i would take your Ocelot for free. ;)

Destroyer
11-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Did you ever measure the poundage on them in the past? If not, they may be 60 pounders.

That would be my guess to. That is too much weight to loose on a bow, regardless of what the limbs are made out of. :)

Arrow Splitter
11-03-2010, 11:16 AM
That would be my guess to. That is too much weight to loose on a bow, regardless of what the limbs are made out of. :)

I also agree. It's definitely not normal to loose that much weight in compound bow limbs.

wkoehler
11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. I noticed some numbers written on the bottom limb tips inside the limb pockets on each of the 4 limbs. (like110 or something) There was no serial # on the bows in '98 and the little sticker was made of clear plastic so the bow stats are all rubbed off. Could that guy from CSI put it on his fancy computer thing to see what they were? I'll verify those numbers on the inside of the limbs and call Martin.
You guys are making me second guess myself now. I am the original owner and I am sure in my mind that it was 65-80#. I shot 3D at 65 and hunted at 80. I've always shot 2117s with 100gr tips, which checks out on the 80# end, when I go to the Easton site.
Maybe I was hoodwinked by the dealer! Probably not though because we had a bow scale at the archery club and I remember using it plenty of times.

gibson 787
11-03-2010, 05:07 PM
because we had a bow scale at the archery club and I remember using it plenty of times.

In that case, the plot thickens. Maybe it is time to call in:eek: CSI!

wkoehler
11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Numbers are as follows on all four quad limbs written in red marker:

210 top right
208 top left

215 bottom right
205 bottom left

My guess these were some sort of flex weight measurements used to match up limbs?

Anyone know?

Destroyer
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I've always shot 2117s with 100gr tips, which checks out on the 80# end.

80# with 2117's? A bit under spined!;)

wkoehler
11-03-2010, 05:50 PM
80# with 2117's? A bit under spined!;)

Well, almost 80. More like 78 ore something for what I remember.

Destroyer
11-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Easton charts put the max about 66# with a 2117 @ 27", so maybe 70#. Even @ 78# 2117 would be under spined.

wkoehler
11-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Yes, true on the shaft selection when I went back to check. I am now OVER spined for 57#. I bought some 145gr target points to mess around with and see what happens. That weight gets me back to a viable shaft without having to go buy new arrows.

Destroyer
11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I am now OVER spined for 57#.

By a lot or just? I have a heap of little steel washers I can put behind a field point to up the weight to 175 grains. Any more than that and I'm looking for another shaft, unless the budget is tight, then I put up with it. They still shoot fine slightly over.

wkoehler
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
That's the solution I've seeking for the broadhead weight. If you haven't noticed i am really cheap and would never go out and buy new broadheads just to increase the weight. I was already thinking lead bushings or something but washers are the BEST answer! Good one!:D