PDA

View Full Version : school me on the Bengal and Cheetah

roosclan
10-19-2010, 09:28 PM
I am looking at the Bengal and the Cheetah for my first bow, along with the Mission Venture. I would upgrade the Bengal/Cheetah with the CCS and the string stop. Unfortunately, there is no Martin dealer within an hour's drive of me, while I have a local shop that is a Mission/Mathews dealer.

From what I can find, there is almost no difference between the Bengal and the Cheetah other than 2" of a2a and about $50. Is there anything else that differentiates the two from each other, and how do they compare to the Mission Venture? I know the Venture is brand new, but I'm hoping someone has had a chance to shoot one and can compare it.

Ehunter
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
I have shot the Bengal and Cheetah side by side. The Bengal feels much more stable, and is quieter. The Bengal also is far more "dead" in my hand when I shoot. No vibration at all. The Cheetah, while not bad, did have a little vibration to it. I ended up buying the Bengal instead. Hope this helps.

Spiker
10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
Go for the longer ATA.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I own a 2010 Bengal and like the way is handles. It is fast enough for me and accurate. After a quick set up, it hit all the way out to 60 yards and wasn't even fine tuned yet. That was all I needed to know. Martin to me is a very accurate bow.:cool::cool::cool:

polaris754
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
go bengal dude :D

FireHawk Owner
10-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I went through the same choice as you and pick the Bengal out of the two. Bengal was dead in your hands and very quite. The Cheetah was nice but I noticed some hand shock. So I went with Bengal. Wish I still had that bow. It was one sweet shooting bow..

roosclan
10-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks, everyone! It looks like the Bengal would probably be the way to go over the Cheetah, and with the upgrades would put it at the same price as the Venture also.

Of course, as I do more searching, I find more and more bows that I have questions on such as:

Bear Strike
Bear Mauler
Quest Hammer

What to do, what to do?:D

dragonsfire311
10-20-2010, 11:51 PM
If you can get a chance to shoot some of the ones you are interested in, that would be a plus in helping your decision. My daughter shoots a bear bow (apprentice) and it is a nice shooting bow and is a good set up for her. Ultimately pick the bow your most comfortable with and that shoots well for you.

roosclan
10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
If you can get a chance to shoot some of the ones you are interested in, that would be a plus in helping your decision. My daughter shoots a bear bow (apprentice) and it is a nice shooting bow and is a good set up for her. Ultimately pick the bow your most comfortable with and that shoots well for you.
I hope I can do that eventually. The closest Martin dealer is over an hour away, though, and he doesn't stock lefty bows because he doesn't have a demand for them. He had Martin, Quest and Limbsaver and that's all. A different archery shop out of town has the other brands, but I don't know if they have lefty bows to try or not. I'll be calling them soon to find out.

Is it a common thing to buy a bow without trying it? It just seems odd to me.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I needed a lefty too! Had to have mine shipped to a pro shop an hour away. Its too bad you don't have a Cabela's or a Dicks sporting goods around you. They sell martin as well as the pro shops.

timtim146
10-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Alright comming from a cheetah shooter for 2 years now. I love my cheetah a ton! it is a great bow! so get the bengal lol. The bengal has less shock id argue that its quieter i say they are the same. the bengal having longer ata and a little longer will be more stable in your hand and have less hand torque and be a bit more accurate. And to top it all of the bengal wont eat your strings at the wheel as bad so the bengal is the better buy :) both great bows but the bengal is just a better buy for the price goodluck!

RLW
10-22-2010, 06:05 AM
That lefty issue is a problem isn't it. Being a lefty is part of the reason I stuck with my '96 Firecat for so many years. Finding left hand bows were few and far between. Most of the few I did shoot didn't impress me or seem much better than I was shooting........until last fall when I noticed a left hand Bengal on the rack at our Cabela's.

Had a few minutes so took them up on an offer to try it (& release for first time). I really liked the bow, but gave it back and returned to work.

Couldn't stop thinking about the bow, came w/factory STS & CCS and price was good, so couple days later had to go back for another look. Had them adjust better to my draw length and draw weight I like, took several shots and few minutes later was walking out with a complete outfit of bow, release, quiver, peep, fall away rest. (at least I had a 2mth old sight, & arrows to use at home)

roosclan
10-23-2010, 06:13 PM
OK, so I stopped by Gander Mtn today, as I was in the city for other business. They had a whole whopping 3 Cheetahs in stock, all RH, all 70#. They had the CCS and rubber grips that felt really good. Compared to the Bear Strike that was next to them, the Cheetah felt really light, yet it was only 1/2lbs lighter. Their lefty bows consisted of a Ross Carnivore, a Diamond Marquis, Diamond Razor Edge (kid dw & dl), and their own TecHunter Extreme2... all at 70#. My shoulder just isn't up to that yet, and I don't know if I can even pull 60# yet (strained ligaments, pinched nerve, other fun stuff, but no torn rotator cuff).

The sales guy said they have some lefty bows on order (even a Quest Hammer), but don't know when they will come in. He also said that he can't order a Bengal because it's discontinued, but can get a Pantera or Cheetah. On the bright side, the two bows that fit my hand the best were the Martin and the Quest, which felt very similar to the Mission Venture. The Diamonds and the TecHunter (made by Diamond) just didn't feel as nice.

I'll be bummed if I get to shoot a Cheetah, decide the Martin is the one for me, and then can't get the Bengal!!

FireHawk Owner
10-23-2010, 06:25 PM
Have you looked on Ebay. ;) They have a ton of brand new Bengals. If you don't see the dray weight your looking for. Just hit contact ebay member and ask .Most of the time they have many other bow that are not listed. Good luck.

Money Man
10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
You would think they could look at the inventory in one of their other stores and maybe have one shipped to you.

polaris754
10-24-2010, 03:59 AM
ok i will make it easy for u send me a Bengal and u can go buy something else , all said and done the Bengal is a great bow as is the cheetah it is the bow i want on my wish list :D

roosclan
10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Have you looked on Ebay. ;) They have a ton of brand new Bengals. If you don't see the dray weight your looking for. Just hit contact ebay member and ask .Most of the time they have many other bow that are not listed. Good luck.
That won't solve my problem of wanting to shoot one, though. I value my money, and want to get it right the first time, as I can't afford to buy a bow and then not like it once I shoot it.

You would think they could look at the inventory in one of their other stores and maybe have one shipped to you.
You would think, but that would probably cost them money that they aren't willing to spend on something that isn't a sure sale. When I looked on Gander Mtn's web site, the Bengal isn't even listed - just the Cheetah & Pantera.:(

ok i will make it easy for u send me a Bengal and u can go buy something else , all said and done the Bengal is a great bow as is the cheetah it is the bow i want on my wish list :D
I don't doubt the Bengal is a great bow, but is the the right feel for me? Being a half pound lighter than the Bear Strike or Mission Venture, and almost a full pound(!) lighter than the Quest Hammer while having the same or better speed is incredibly appealing. My friend recommended Martins as well as a couple others, so that's another plus. I just want to shoot one before I throw down money on one. Sometimes being a lefty sucks!

RLW
10-25-2010, 06:23 AM
If you really what to try a Martin, you might just have to call that dealer you mentioned, an hour away, and see if they have or can get a 50-60lb lefty model to try.

Even if it's a Cheetah, other than being 2.25" shorter they're pretty similar bows. The Pantera really isn't that much different either. (or the Firecat TR1......or last years Moab if one was laying around)
At least you could get a chance to see how the bows shoot for you and feel in your hand.

I was at our Cabela's this weekend and didn't see a single Martin on the rack. Only lefty models I saw where a Hoyt TurboHawk and a PSE Stinger

Bowhunter_IL_BT
10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I shoot a Cheetah and I never feel any handshock on mine at all. I never shot a Bengal so if I did I may notice a difference. To me they are basically the same bow. The 32 in A2A may help with a little longer range shots but I see no real big difference.

cplgibson
10-27-2010, 03:55 PM
just weighing in love my DICKS SPORTING GOODS CHEETAH,

also ur local dicks should get in any lefty bow they have in any other store for u to try, u may have to try the lodge manager to get decent results. I have three local stores and only one has decent guy working on or careing about archery customers

roosclan
10-28-2010, 02:44 PM
I shoot a Cheetah and I never feel any handshock on mine at all. I never shot a Bengal so if I did I may notice a difference. To me they are basically the same bow. The 32 in A2A may help with a little longer range shots but I see no real big difference.
Thank you for your input! How does it rate for quietness?

just weighing in love my DICKS SPORTING GOODS CHEETAH,

also ur local dicks should get in any lefty bow they have in any other store for u to try, u may have to try the lodge manager to get decent results. I have three local stores and only one has decent guy working on or careing about archery customers
Man, there are either a billion lefties in my area of KS who have bought all the lefty bows, or there are so few of us, that no one stocks them. The closest Dick's is about an hour away, and both stores are out of lefty bows completely. They're going to try to get in a couple lefty Martin Rack Rage (Bengal) and Quest Hammer bows for me to try.

I really need to get my ammo sold quickly so I can afford a bow!