PDA

View Full Version : why do u use the lenth of vane that u do

duey1977
10-20-2010, 05:07 PM
wondering if there is a reason behind u using a 2inch vane or 4 or whatever u use. a buddy told me theres no real difference just preference, but couldnt tell me why he prefered the ones he used.

FireHawk Owner
10-20-2010, 05:24 PM
I agree with your buddy, its personal preference.

Some say the 2'' vanes are faster.
I've heard the 4'' help with broadhead flight.
I've used both, I can't tell the difference myself.
I shot fobs now. Reason - I can group better with them. I like the way they fly at longer distances,seems wind doesn't effect them as much. But again personal preference.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-20-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree with your buddy, its personal preference.

Some say the 2'' vanes are faster.
I've heard the 4'' help with broadhead flight.
I've used both, I can't tell the difference myself.
I shot fobs now. Reason - I can group better with them. I like the way they fly at longer distances,seems wind doesn't effect them as much. But again personal preference.

I agree 2" vanes are flatter and faster but 4" control broadhead flight better.
With 2" you need to tune the broadhead really well!
And as it goes fobs sound like my next investment!!!!!!!

dragonsfire311
10-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I use 3" due to my broadhead makers recommending that is the best length to use with thier product, but have used 4" and 5" in past.

SonnyThomas
10-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Up close and personal any vane will get the job done, especially at 25 and less. I've use 4" for years for virtually all target shooting and hunting, Okay, 20 feet out to 100 yards. I used AAEs for quite some time and switched to Bohning. I was a little disappointed in other makes of 4" vanes.
2" vanes, Blazers, Twisters, Fusions and Mini Blazers I've tested just a while back. 2" vanes such as these are incredible for guiding fixed broadheads. They grab air. They grab air so much they are said not to offset more than 3 degrees. Okay, they grab air to the point they are said to rob down range velocity. Accuracy is still great though.
I've tested the 3" X Vanes by Bohning. Again, accuracy was great, but by Bohning they are not for hunting. The Mini Blazer is not for hunting, but is accurate for target and 3D.
At the moment I'm using the Bohning 1.75" X Vane Shield Cuts. Accurate they are. Couple pics. 2" vanes and Blazers at 60 and 80 yds (I was aiming for the broken arrow). Sorry about the big pic.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/SonnyThomas/60ydsUltraTec.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o238/SonnyThomas/80yards003.jpg

ezbite
10-20-2010, 08:45 PM
4" baby, cause im old school:p and i like a heavy arrow:cool:

Montalaar
10-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Why not use 1.5" Miniblazers for hunting with Broadheads?

All my arrows are fletched with 1.5" Blazers and the arrows fly straight to the target with 150gr and 180gr Broadheads...?!

SonnyThomas
10-21-2010, 06:00 AM
Why not use 1.5" Miniblazers for hunting with Broadheads?
All my arrows are fletched with 1.5" Blazers and the arrows fly straight to the target with 150gr and 180gr Broadheads...?!

I only quoted from the Bohning catalog. If it works, then it works. If anything it tells you have your bow pretty well tuned. Nice thing about tuned bows, arrows set up correctly and archer shooting well. Things happen. I once reported of a archer saying his shots were going wrong because of a missing vane. Well, I ripped off one vane and drilled Xs back to back at the same 20 yards. This with Mini Blazers. I didn't take a pic, but I later did with the 2" Twisters.

alex
10-21-2010, 06:46 AM
I've also shot some of my arrows with one vane missing and there's no difference. I'm quite sure that at shorter distances (20-30 yards) you can shoot a bare shaft with the same result - the modern bows are so fast that the arrow is in the target before it gets the neccessity to be stabilized.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-21-2010, 10:34 AM
My Vanetecs (they're really a Blazer vane with a different name) still don't negatively effect arrow flight even after I shot a couple holes in one.:eek:

Ehunter
10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
With the 2 inch Quik Spins, it's best to use a straight fletch, or anything under 3 degree right helical. Right now I'm using older 2.25 inch lower profile Quik Spins feltched at 3 degrees. These things control broadheads very well, and fly like a dream. No loss in speed at all. The newer 2" don't lose any more speed than any other 2" vane as long as the helical rule of 3 degrees or under is followed. I've got a new batch of arrows with 2" Quik Spins, Norway Fusion, and Martin Fury vanes. 4 arrows fletched in each. All shoot the same speed. Out to 70 yards, no difference in point of impact. I say shoot whatever a person feels good with. 2"-5", if you are comfortable with them and they fly well, shoot them. A target or animal isn't going to care.

J758
10-21-2010, 11:53 PM
I asked the same question a little while ago. I say try every thing see what u like. I shoot 4 inch with a right helical. And I use 2 inch for the windy days or beyond 25 yards. WHY? Because the 2 inch vane worked better with my broadhead at a longer distance. I was thinkin less drag on my arrow but close range no difference. Archery is very mental. So what it comes down to is what u like. In other words welcome to the addiction.

ElkSlayer
10-22-2010, 07:42 AM
5" old school vains..... why because i bought a bunch of arrows back in 02
for my hunting bow...befor the blazer craze
Went with the 5" shiled cut on arrows I built for Recurve..why I just like the look an my fingers aren't what they used to be ;)
We use 3" vain tec low pro's on our target arrows...just to try um out and they worked
We also use (1st time) 2"razors on the kids 1916's I just built...so far they fly good (got darn near a bulit hole paper tuning)(fine tune to come latter) ..why? light weight and they grab air so should be great for BH use