PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Strings

FireHawk Owner
10-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I was wondering, What and how do you clean your strings. My string is starting to looks faded in spots. And looks like theres a lot of old wax on it. Is there any way to get all the old wax off, so I can put new wax on the strings, not the old wax.

bfisher
10-21-2010, 01:49 PM
There are several brands of string cleaning and conditioning kits. One is made by Scorpion Venom. Another by Winner's Choice. Check with www.lancasterarchery.com. Page 157 in their catalog.

Which is better? Couldn't tell ya. Never used either. I could tell you this. If you can physically see old wax than you are waxing too much and too often. I perosnally only wax my strings two or three times a year and I shoot, maybe, 5000 shots each year. Of course I take very good care of my bows. If they are not being shot they are in a case.

Which wax do I use? Simple old ML6 made by BCY. I've been using the same tube of wax for about 6 years now. There is other stuff out and each has it's fans. I just can't see spending money for something else just because it's new on the market.

Here's a trick that you can use. When you wax your string aplly it from the tube. Then briskly rub in using your thumb and index finger or a small piece of leather. This is called burnishing. The little bit of heat made from friction melts the wax just enough to helpit penetrate the strands. Then take a 12" to 15" piece of dental floss and make a complete loop around the string. Pull the loop along the length of the string and any way that comes off is just excess. The rub the string again to smooth everything out. You're done.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Usually after I have build a string I clean it up with a folded up piece of paper. I burnish the string to heat up the wax and blend it. After that I take a white rag and wipe it down. Then I re-wax it to bring it to its color. I've done this even with my old strings. It works for me don't know if there is another way or not.

FireHawk Owner
10-21-2010, 02:02 PM
Thank you guys. Great advise.;)

Ehunter
10-21-2010, 05:55 PM
I recently tried Bohnings new string conditioner. The stuff goes on real easily, and soaks in well, but it makes the string too slick in my opinion. String silencers etc. have a tendency to start moving up and down the string. Might be good for a traditional bow though. Going back to my old Slick-T-T wax. $3.99 for a tube that has lasted me 5 years so far, and not even half gone. I rub it in with a piece of old blue jean material. Heats up nicely, and absorbs any excess wax.

bfisher
10-22-2010, 05:06 AM
I recently tried Bohnings new string conditioner. The stuff goes on real easily, and soaks in well, but it makes the string too slick in my opinion. String silencers etc. have a tendency to start moving up and down the string. Might be good for a traditional bow though. Going back to my old Slick-T-T wax. $3.99 for a tube that has lasted me 5 years so far, and not even half gone. I rub it in with a piece of old blue jean material. Heats up nicely, and absorbs any excess wax.

There is a happy medium to be reached with this stuff. One of the main purposes of using wax is to lubricate the strands so that they don't abrade each other. But then you run into the problem of the string being too slick and things start moving, such as your string silencers.

As you, that's why I use BCY's ML6, which is what they recommended many years ago. They still market it so there must be a reason.

One type of wax Idon't really care for is Tex-Tite. It's more like candle wax and I don't believe it penetrates the strands well, but just puts a coating on the surface.

ElkSlayer
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
good to know ...when applying wax we rub it in with a pice of leather.. even tex tite gets in...in the Pacific north west it gets realy wet somedays..my strings hold up for years with little wear...