PDA

View Full Version : Peep sight tubing

Ehunter
10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Just took the tubing off of my '08 Moab. Had to raise the sight a good 1/4 inch. Seems like I gained a decent amount of speed as well. Shooting a bit flatter at 30 yards and beyond now. I can understand gaining the speed, but is it normal to have to raise the sights? I'm talking the whole sight, not just the pins. 20 and 30 yard pins are still the same distance apart, but 30 and up had to be moved closer. The distance I moved the entire sight up seems far more than the gain in speed should have caused.

FireHawk Owner
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
WOW. Thats weird. Did you put a new sight in. If so, Is the peep you changed to thicker then the tube sight was? :confused:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Just took the tubing off of my '08 Moab. Had to raise the sight a good 1/4 inch. Seems like I gained a decent amount of speed as well. Shooting a bit flatter at 30 yards and beyond now. I can understand gaining the speed, but is it normal to have to raise the sights? I'm talking the whole sight, not just the pins. 20 and 30 yard pins are still the same distance apart, but 30 and up had to be moved closer. The distance I moved the entire sight up seems far more than the gain in speed should have caused.

It sounds to me that your new peep is lower than your old one. That would explain why you had to raise your sight so much.
When you have the bow drawn, make sure you are holding it level, and then look through the peep. If you can't see through it, you can slide your peep up or down accordingly.

timtim146
10-21-2010, 07:47 PM
yeah if you moved your peep down and took your tube off then the tube gone gave you a bit more speed and then moving your peep down to then you would have to raise your sight a bit

Ehunter
10-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Still using the same peep. All I did was take the tubing off. Tubing was cracking a little, so I just took it off and tried shooting without it. Peep lined up fine, so no reason to use tubing again.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Still using the same peep. All I did was take the tubing off. Tubing was cracking a little, so I just took it off and tried shooting without it. Peep lined up fine, so no reason to use tubing again.

Well, you lost me now.:confused: I don't understand why you would have to raise your sight that much and not have changed anything but the tubing.:confused:

bfisher
10-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Depending on how tight the tubing was it may have changed the angle at which you view everything through the peep. There is very little pressure on the string at full draw so maybe it had a little bend in it which would effectively make the peep a touch lower. I doubt that you gained enough speed to make any difference or the pin gap would be less; the pins would be closer together. You're just viewing your sight at a different angle.

ElkSlayer
10-22-2010, 07:25 AM
True a bend in string cause by a tight tube could cause it ..and by removing that evil thing that slows your string quite a bit OP gained more string speed causing the sight to need that ajustment...closing the 20-30 gap is a speed thing we all know that...shoots flatter now right;)

alex
10-22-2010, 09:32 AM
If you use the peep which comes from the factory with the 08 bows it moves very easy between the strands. I guess you just moved the peep while taking off the tube and didn't understand it :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
The best way to find out if it moved, is to put and arrow in it and draw back and have some one see it is level. Then look through the peep to see if it is right. Then re-draw the bow with your eyes closed, anchor and open your eyes to see if you can see through the peep.

Ehunter
10-22-2010, 01:16 PM
The peep has always been served in. Not much chance of it moving. I think the tubing must have been a bit too tight/short, and that was the cause. Changing the viewing angle. Whatever the cause, it's shooting fine, and zeroed back in. Thanks to all that replied! This is a great forum to be on for help.

Ehunter
10-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm wondering if my D loop might have moved slightly, thus causing the sights to need moved. I noticed the D loop was starting to fray a bit, and had it replaced yesterday. Local shop didn't put the loop back in the exact same place as it was, so I had to move my sights again. Not to mention, they charged me $20 for a loop plus the 3 minutes of installation. Guess how many bow shops we have in this town. lol

bfisher
10-23-2010, 04:41 PM
I'm wondering if my D loop might have moved slightly, thus causing the sights to need moved. I noticed the D loop was starting to fray a bit, and had it replaced yesterday. Local shop didn't put the loop back in the exact same place as it was, so I had to move my sights again. Not to mention, they charged me $20 for a loop plus the 3 minutes of installation. Guess how many bow shops we have in this town. lol

Just one more reason to learn to do the simple things yourself. $20 would buy you enough loop material to last a lifetime. And this is another reason to measure the location of things once you have the bow tuned and sighted in.

Ehunter
10-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Point well taken Barry. I would have just tied my own, but didn't have the material. Had NO idea the guy would charge me that much. I figured $5. Guess who WON'T be doing any future work on my bows. lol

bfisher
10-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Point well taken Barry. I would have just tied my own, but didn't have the material. Had NO idea the guy would charge me that much. I figured $5. Guess who WON'T be doing any future work on my bows. lol

I get your point, too. No guess work involved. By the way, about $5 or so is just about the customary asking price.

alex
10-24-2010, 09:54 AM
20$ for a D-loop! :eek: :eek: :eek: