PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody tried the f-15 carbon express fixed broadhead?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Just tested the f15 carbon express fixed broad head. It flew just like my field tips. I didn't even tune it. It impressed me. Six cutting surfaces. It cost me only $4.95 for one. So I was wondering if anyone else has tried them?
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/cms/content/f15-dual-blade-video

Montalaar
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Well... 6 blades do not kill better than a three blade. But more chance to break one. I do not like them.

FireHawk Owner
10-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I like them. Specially at that price. Going to have to get a few.

Found this video off that link. Interesting stuff.
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/cms/content/f15-dual-blade-video

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Well... 6 blades do not kill better than a three blade. But more chance to break one. I do not like them.

Montalaar with 6 blades there is more cutting surface. That will bleed a deer a lot faster. Also the blades are much thicker than the average broad head. Allowing them to take more abuse. Take a look at the testing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VRLcTk3Q90&feature=related

alex
10-25-2010, 12:07 PM
I've seen this video (i'm a subscriber to ike's channel) and like the look of the broadhead. Also like the price. But i've never used a broadhead against a living creature and can't say how it'll work. By the way Carbon Express makes awesome looking crossbows, just are a little shy and don't publish their price in the website :D

Montalaar
10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Montalaar with 6 blades there is more cutting surface. That will bleed a deer a lot faster. Also the blades are much thicker than the average broad head. Allowing them to take more abuse. Take a look at the testing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VRLcTk3Q90&feature=related

Well.. 6 surfaces do nothing more anyway.. :/
Compared to any single bevel at least. This is hype-only. Read Dr. Ashby for reference.

bfisher
10-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Well.. 6 surfaces do nothing more anyway.. :/
Compared to any single bevel at least. This is hype-only. Read Dr. Ashby for reference.

Haing hunted with a bow for 35 years or so I'm going to side with Simon on this. I've shot deer with 2 balde, 3,4,5, and 6 blades. One inch wide cut to 1 3/4" wide. In the real world a deer shot (double lung) with a little narrow 3 blade dies inside 100 yards, often times within sight. The 1 1/2" wide six blade shot did virtually the same thing.

I would agree that thicker blades are better, but along with this I have always taken into consideration how the ferrule is built and by what means the blades lock into the ferrule. Of course, sharpness is a given requirement.
And being realistic I know I can't sharpen blades to the sharpness of those that I can buy so I will always use replacable blade heads.

The last thing I have considered is price, although I can say for a fact that I won't spend $30 for 3 heads. There are just too many choices on the market that cost nearly half that and get the job done just the same.

alex
10-25-2010, 01:45 PM
I want some of Rambo's broadheads ;) :D

SonnyThomas
10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I haven't tried them, but I looked them over and saw the CX video. I can't say that I'm impressed. I've been using broadheads with .030" think blades for some years, those by NAP. Crazy on my part? The CX expandable causes concern. Forced expansion and then 4 blades hitting at once means the horsepower is divided by 4. Again, the expandable; Blood runs one direction, so to speak. that piece in middle, is it going to bleed? I mean the veins would be cut off on the outside of the blades.

I've tried quite a few fixed and mechanical broadheads. I settled on the NAP Shock Wave 100 gr. years ago and 32 deer says they're good. I tested the NAP Braxe fixed broadhead earlier this year and did a writeup in here. The tests I did says they'll get the job done. I'll find out on the real thing this year.

J758
10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I was wondering the same thing. For 4.95 couldn't go wrong I'd say. I would like to try that braxe I saw your test but really how much abuse could one of the cheaper ones take? I want to reuse my BH over and over. That's why I shoot magnus. Not to say anything bad about the mechanicals but I'm a fixed blade fan. 2 345 or 6 blade don't matter. For me its all about durability. Its gonna go in the dirt after I put it through the goodies. And go into anything else. I'd shoot those f 15s in a heart beat just don't want to change my set up around right now.

Also I think cutting surface and wide cut BH are a gimic to sell em. U hit that sweet spot and its over.

elkslayer4x5
10-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Currently how many differnt broadheads are on the market, real ones intended to be shot into game animals? Just the brands, start counting models and we'll be in the hundreds. I counted 21 brands just in the last couple of pages of Lancasters Wish Book. And am sure thats theres more out there than that. :)

Spiker
10-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I am old and out-dated but there is no broadhead that is going to insure a quick humane kill. That is up to you and your shot placement.
I use plain, strong, 2-blade heads.
Bear Razor Heads, Zwickeys, Magnus Stingers and Buzzcuts (my favorite) - - - the list goes on. As Elkslayer said: there are hundreds of heads being sold these days. As long as they are quality built - - they will do the job...
Archery hunting is an up close and personal encounter.
Mankind has been doing it since we arrived. With some sticks and a string and a pointed rock.
Use a QUALITY head that shoots accurately out of your bow - shoot straight - and you will have great results.
Hunting isn't High-Tech. It is Primal.

SonnyThomas
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing. //// I would like to try that braxe I saw your test but really how much abuse could one of the cheaper ones take? I want to reuse my BH over and over.
Also I think cutting surface and wide cut BH are a gimic to sell em. U hit that sweet spot and its over.

1 - I initially bought 9 mechanical Shock Wave 100s. From then on I bought only replacement blades. So divided 9 by 32 deer. I lost 3, one due a passthrough in a hay field, one due a a blow up while trying to "thread the needle," and one snapped off at the base of head on a brownish rock that I thought was a stump (dummie me). Anyway, I'd say that's reusing them a bit.
2 - The Braxe also has replacement blades.

J758
10-27-2010, 05:01 PM
So what about the f 15? Did u test it like the braxe? As far a re useing. I wanna resharpen not buy replacement blades. I prefer the magnus stingers or buzz cuts out of anything so far. After season I will for sure test more. I think that braxe u used was tough and durable. Now if those f 15s will do that! that would be great!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Here is some pics up and close!
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1351&stc=1&d=1288229547
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1352&stc=1&d=1288229547
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1353&stc=1&d=1288229547

J758
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes I've seen. Them. Thanks for sharein. But just wondering if u did the test on them like the braxe? They will for sure be a next BH I buy. They have em at rural king a sporting good store I go to here in indiana. The best thing will be when they go on clerance in a week or so. Get em cheaper then! That's the style of BH I like. Almost like my magnus now.

elkslayer4x5
10-28-2010, 07:06 AM
They look hell for stout, a real bone breaker, kinda of remind me of the old Bear Razorhead, which was great as a two blade as a four blade.... not so much. But the small bleeder blades do look pretty strong. If I lived near anywhere ( I live two hours from everywhere ) that had them in stock, I too would be waiting for the clearence sale. Maybe my son could find some for trial purposes, How about it Elkslayer, got any of these at your local wallyworld or BiMart? :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-28-2010, 01:25 PM
They look hell for stout, a real bone breaker, kinda of remind me of the old Bear Razorhead, which was great as a two blade as a four blade.... not so much. But the small bleeder blades do look pretty strong. If I lived near anywhere ( I live two hours from everywhere ) that had them in stock, I too would be waiting for the clearence sale. Maybe my son could find some for trial purposes, How about it Elkslayer, got any of these at your local wallyworld or BiMart? :)

$4.95 a piece if you want to try one.
http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/cms/content/f15dualblade.com?utm_campaign=f15dualblade-redirect&utm_medium=domain&utm_source=redirect