PDA

View Full Version : Rivet Reinforcing on New 2011 Limbs?

gibson 787
10-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Was wondering if anyone has any mail on the new solid core limbs, regarding the 2 reinforcing rivets. In recent times, they were fitted on the limb tips that were fitted with Cat cams.

Reason I ask, is that I received a set of 4MC (new 2011 limbs) for a 70# 09 Moab conversion and they HAD the rivets fitted. But I also received a set of 5LC limbs for a 70# Warthog and there were NO rivets installed.

I find this strange, as the Moab is single cam, whilst the Warthog has Cat2 cams.

I've emailed Joel a few times, but don't seem to be having much luck in that department lately. Maybe he's away hunting or something similar.

Would appreciate some input, and definitely not going to put the Hog together until I get this mystery solved.

FireHawk Owner
10-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Maybe Bfisher would know. But if you try to contact Martin or Joel. You will get a response way quicker with a call. I have never got a response form email. tried several times.

Montalaar
10-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Hmmm...

This aint seem right!

The CAT-Cam needs the limbs reinforcement...!

Ehunter
10-29-2010, 01:40 AM
I just checked the 2011 limbs I got for my Firecat, They have the rivets. Martin sent them to me about 2 months ago. Sadly, one already cracked again.

alex
10-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Gibson, why don't you just swap the limbs? The MOAB doesn't need reinforced ones.

baerman
10-29-2010, 04:06 AM
Good Morning Gibson 787,
I just checked the latest replacement limbs for my WartHog and they do indeed have the two rivets in each limb end. Most distrubing are the continuing reports of limb failure even with the new 2011 limbs. At some point there will have to be a concession that these bows are, essentially, poorly engineered/constructed. Anyway, best of luck with the "rivetless wonders".

gibson 787
10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Gibson, why don't you just swap the limbs? The MOAB doesn't need reinforced ones.

Yes Alex, thought of that, but for some reason although they are both 13", 70# limbs, the codes are different and after getting the Moab tuned, I don't feel too much like going through the ritual again.

Thanks for the input though.

gibson 787
10-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Thanks all to the replies. It seems as though I have the wrong limbs, which is a pity cause this all went through my Martin dealer here and took over 5 weeks! Oh well, here we go again.:mad:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Bin there done that! sorry to hear someone else go through the same.

FireHawk Owner
10-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks all to the replies. It seems as though I have the wrong limbs, which is a pity cause this all went through my Martin dealer here and took over 5 weeks! Oh well, here we go again.:mad: Sorry to here that. Sound like your dealers are about as good as the one we have hear which is 3 hours away. Its amazing that people own archery shops and can't even work on bows. All they can do is sell them and pretend. Every time I had any thing done from a archery shop back before I took the time to learn how to work on bows myself, It was a nightmare. And then most of the time I had to bring it back or to another shop to fix it.

My wifes been telling me to open a shop. Everyone that hunts and shots 3D with us has me work on there bows. At least twice a week someones here asking me to do something on there bows. I have been Really been thinking about it.

Good Luck sorry to here that. Hope it works out for you.

gibson 787
10-29-2010, 04:18 PM
My wifes been telling me to open a shop. Everyone that hunts and shots 3D with us has me work on there bows. At least twice a week someones here asking me to do something on there bows. I have been Really been thinking about it.

Thanks for the kind words. Maybe you should just start charging for your time and keep working from home if possible. Keep the overheads down, rent can be a killer in any business.

Destroyer
10-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Why the rivets in a 'solid' limb anyway? I don't think you would need them. I'm wondering if some of the 2011 limbs ppl have received aren't solids at all.

At least twice a week someones here asking me to do something on there bows. I have been Really been thinking about it.

Hope your getting paid for it. ;)

gibson 787
10-30-2010, 02:17 AM
Why the rivets in a 'solid' limb anyway?

Did think of that mate, but they've stuck em on the 2011 limbs Joel sent me for the Moab with single cam, but not on the Hog with Cats.

I'm no engineer, but I think it's highly possible that solid material is subject to failure (splitting at the axle) in that area as well.

Got no idea what's going on, unable to contact anyone at Martin, by phone or by email:confused:

Destroyer
10-30-2010, 10:45 PM
but they've stuck em on the 2011 limbs Joel sent me

Are they solids though? I cant see them on the 2011 bows in the catalog, not that its easy to tell.

The trouble you have been through with these bows mate.....;)

Montalaar
10-31-2010, 12:24 AM
There is a sense in putting them on solids. At the point where the axle goes through the limb you part the limb still in two sides. THe lower part which will have all the force direct from the axle and the upper part where is less force.

gibson 787
10-31-2010, 02:36 AM
THe lower part which will have all the force direct from the axle and the upper part where is less force.

I see the logic there.

gibson 787
10-31-2010, 02:40 AM
The trouble you have been through with these bows mate

Yeah..... don't know if I want to laugh, or cry:):mad:

bfisher
10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes, and don't forget that solid or not they just drilled a 3/16" hole through the fork for the axle so there's a lot less material there.

Destroyer
10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
There is a sense in putting them on solids.

I see none really. The purpose of putting the rivet in was to stop the lamination's coming apart supposedly, with a solid limb there is nothing to come apart, its just one big mass. Putting it in a solid limb tip wont strengthen anything, plus your drilling another hole to do so, making it weaker.

Now if they put a metal plate running along the fork ( like a lamination) it would make it stronger, I think some Pearson compounds had it.

Most of the cracking is occurring in the fork not on the tips anyway.

Montalaar
10-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Right, because they have the rivet in there.

When they started to produce the CAT Cam there where loads of limb failures at the end of the fork. Cams splitted the limbs in to pieces and slipped out of the limb. Same happened with other manufacturers that used solid limbs already back then.

Solid limbs are one solid mass. But the force of the axle inside the limb is not allocated evenly. There is a region of high stress between the two axles because this is the direction of movement. And there is a region of lower stress on the outside. This is the reason why MERLIN archery puts the axles on the outside of the limbs. As Bowtech does it with their Destroyer also since 2010.