PDA

View Full Version : String replacement

POOR-SHOOTER
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
I was told that Martin limb bolts can be backed out untill the string can be replaced without a bow press. Is this true??:confused:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
10-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes! but do it equally.

bfisher
10-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Yes, it's true. Here's how to approach it. Start backing out the limb bolts two turns at a time. Do them equally, top and bottom. If you look from the side you should be able to see the bolt threads in the barrel nuts beneath the limb pockets or roto-cups. When you get about 8 turns off each bolt do it one turn at a time. Usually at about 9 to 10 turns you'll start seeing daylight through the barrel nut. At this point you should have or almost have enough slack to remove the string from the cams. If not you can probably get another turn or two, but just make sure you can still see the end of the bolt in the barrel nut.

I can usually get the job done with 10 to 11 turns off the limbs with little or no effort. Little hint here........take pictures of the string cable routing before you even start. Take pics from both sides of both cams. Take a pic of the cable routing through your cable slide or CCS.

Again before you start, if your bow is fairly well tuned measure from your nocking point to some reference on the bow. I like to measure from the top axle. Measure how high your kisser and peep are above the nocking point. These should give you a decent placement for retuning once you put it all back together. Wouldn't hurt to weight the bow and measure the A2A and brace height either.

SonnyThomas
10-30-2010, 06:16 PM
As bfisher instructed. First time I saw this I thought; "Yep, this guy is nuts." But, with little effort he changed the strings just slick as can be. Useful idea in a bad situation, but I'll stick with backing off the limb bolts and using a press and this is super easy with Martins.

POOR-SHOOTER
10-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks to all who posted. This is good info! Thanks again.