PDA

View Full Version : Older Martin Cougar Magnum?

Unregistered
11-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I just recently bought a real nice Martin Cougar off of ebay. I don't have it yet, but I was hoping I could get some information on it. The limb just says "Cougar Magnum." It has a 45-60 lbs Draw weight and 30" draw (not sure if that is adjustable or not... I would like to know). The bow number is 7183 and has CLXM 7183-6 written on the side of the limb. It's all sparkly green and then limbs are kind of like wood. If there is any way you could tell me some information on it, I would be very appriciative. Info like year, Draw Length adjustment, length, let off, etc. Oh, and the bow looks to only have wheels, no cool funky cams or anything. I got it for a great price too, so if you could tell me what it originally sold for, that would be great. Thanks!

~Dustin

PUG
11-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Let us do somw digging and I'll see if I can't come up with a manual for you....

PUG

dkelsey56436
11-04-2005, 05:51 PM
That would be great, thanks. This is the unregistered user that made the thread by the way. If it ends up being to much trouble or you can't find anything, don't worry about it. It would be great to know, but it's not really a big deal.

Thanks,
~Dustin

dkelsey56436
11-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Here is a picture of bow I am getting. I hope this helps. From my own research, I think it's a 1983 M-15 Cougar Magnum shown in this picture http://www.archeryhistory.com/compounds/pics/80/martin83.jpg . *shrugs* You're the experts though. Just trying to help as much as possible.
Thanks
~Dustin

Lifer
11-07-2005, 10:02 PM
That is a 1987 model Cougar Magnum. The draw length is adjustable, the range depending on the wheel diameter. Looks to be in great shape. This bow was Martin's flagship model for quite a few years....congrats!

dkelsey56436
11-08-2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere else (I belive another thread) that manuals are free. Pug said he may be able to dig one up. If it's any easier now to find one, how would I go about getting one? If I couldn't get one, that's fine. I am sure they aren't made much anymore since the bow is nearly 20 years old lol. But I know what I have now and that's plenty. I'm sure I can figure out more information on it through other means if need be. Thanks for all the help guys. I would give you a 110% customer service rating if I am ever asked... I didn't even buy anything directly from Martin and got great customer service. Thanks again!

~Dustin

aspen234
01-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi,
I alsohave a martin cougar magnum M-15 compound bow that I bought on ebay. poundage is 55 to 70 lbs. My local bow shop does not want to put it in a bow press because they are afraid it might break due to age and the fact the limbs are laminated wood. is this a valid concern? it looks fine to me.
i also need to replace the bow string. does anyone know what size and type bow string is needed?
regards,
aspen234

lincoln
08-21-2008, 09:41 PM
hi, i just bought a cougar magnum on ebay, it is very much alike the one in the pic with the gren riser but mine has a black riser with a plastic black grip. i was wondering if anyone here could tell me if i need a cable gaurd or anything, and how to chang the bow weight.

Stormbringer
08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
PUG will hook you up!
ArcheryTalk.com is a great place for answers too...

Ebay must be having a run on Cougar Mags I guess...huh!?! :D
________
hemp marijuana (http://marijuanahemp.com)

Montalaar
08-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Better read the date opf the post, Storm. Two of the three were posted 3 years ago. :P

I do not know if you need a cable guard as there seems to be a model without the need. If you need one you can buy a cable guard at the martin online shop.

I am too young to know how to change the draw weight on a bow that is older than me. :P

dbd870
08-22-2008, 03:42 AM
The limb bolts can be adjusted just like any other bow. Yeah this one is old!

Stormbringer
08-27-2008, 04:02 AM
Better read the date opf the post, Storm. Two of the three were posted 3 years ago. :P

LOL!
If I did that, it wouldn't seem like such a "run" on the ol' Cougars then! :D
________
strain index (http://strainindex.com)

cougarmagnum
10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
does anyone know the cable length on this bow? i have the same bow and i need to replace the cables.

coolhandsurf
10-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I was recently given an m-15 cougar magnum, unfortunately it is left handed and I am right handed. Is there an inexpensive way to remedy this problem? thanks, Luke

Barry O'Regan
11-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Hi,
I alsohave a martin cougar magnum M-15 compound bow that I bought on ebay. poundage is 55 to 70 lbs. My local bow shop does not want to put it in a bow press because they are afraid it might break due to age and the fact the limbs are laminated wood. is this a valid concern? it looks fine to me.
i also need to replace the bow string. does anyone know what size and type bow string is needed?
regards,
aspen234

I too have a all original and mint 1982 Martin Cougar I shoot at least once a week, let me put it this way, if it cannot stand a bow press it won't stand an arrow at full draw. I think your Pro Shop is scamming you to either bow a new (er) bow or they noticed something on the limbs such as cracks. My Martin also has 20 year old wood limbs and hits the bow press at least twice a year for string changes and maintenance.

So if you can fire arrows out of it no problem and are accurate, your bow should be fine in a bow press.

Barry O'Regan
11-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I was recently given an m-15 cougar magnum, unfortunately it is left handed and I am right handed. Is there an inexpensive way to remedy this problem? thanks, Luke

Swap the riser to Right Hand (I am sure some here may have a RH Riser for sale) and move the wheels and cables to the other side and you're good to go.

Barry O'Regan
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
does anyone know the cable length on this bow? i have the same bow and i need to replace the cables.

Take off your old cables and measure em, and order new ones based on the old measurements.

Barry O'Regan
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM
The limb bolts can be adjusted just like any other bow. Yeah this one is old!

Oldy but a vintage Goodie!

BruceFriend
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
I just picked up a Cougar Magnum like the one in the picture. Number CLXM 39161 2 is what I make out on the limbs. Anyone got a manual for it. This is my first compound bow. Just getting my feet wet and don't know much about them at this point.