PDA

View Full Version : updated limb cracking

huntmohr
10-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Had my 09 firecat lower limb crack this summer. Sent it back to martin, they updated the limbs to 2010. Was shooting my bow yesterday and noticed a sliver coming off of my lower limb where the limb flex's, this was on the edge of the limb. My concern is are the 10 limbs holding up.:confused:

bfisher
10-31-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a pair on my 2008 Cat and so far so good. It's been about 10 months now, but then I shoot my Alien Z most of the time. The limbs are supposedly better than prior years, but I still hear of a few mishaps with them, but not what you are experienceing--sliver on the edge.

Guess you'll be getting more new limbs. Maybe you'll get a shot at the 2011 solid core limbs.

huntmohr
10-31-2010, 12:48 PM
What is the differance between the 10 and the 11 limbs. the 10 and solid arent they.:eek:

bfisher
10-31-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't get all the scuttlebutt, but the 2011 limbs are solid core; I guess meaning they are made from solid billet whereas past years were laminated. There are lots of companies that use solid limbs successfully. Bowtech comes to mind.

Being as they already have the new limbs some 2010 bows made later in the year apparently have the newer solid core limbs. Ho well they'll hold up is something yet to be seen.

The way I see it if Martin can get rid of their limb problems then the consumer wins.

Putting things into perspective all bow companies have limb failures. On a percentage basis across the industry it has historically been a little less than 1%. It's always been a thorn in the manufacturers sides, but with the advent of the internet it just gets passed around more, usually by those who experience problems. Think about it. We're talking about world wide now, not just in the states.

Destroyer
10-31-2010, 06:37 PM
My concern is are the 10 limbs holding up.

Anyone who owns a 2010 are all in the same boat, hoping they will. I wouldn't be too concerned about a edge sliver, but I wouldn't be happy about it either. ;)

gibson 787
10-31-2010, 11:27 PM
It's always been a thorn in the manufacturers sides, but with the advent of the internet it just gets passed around more, usually by those who experience problems. Think about it. We're talking about world wide now, not just in the states.

Hi Baz, Just a thought, but I wonder how many of those 1% would resort to venting their problems on the internet prior to contacting the dealer or the bow manufacturer. I would suspect not many.

I think there is an inherent problem in manufacturers relying on dealers to either fix the problem or pass it on to the manufacturer, simply because if it's not fixed yesterday the consumer in most cases get's angry and vents their anger online.

You have to put yourself in the shoes of the dealers, who must get sick to their eye teeth with consumers bringing in busted bows, which I'm sure wouldn't go to the top of the pile of things to do. Any dealers out there, please speak up, is there much profit in this area? I have one dealer here in Australia who doesn't exactly dance the fandango when he hears my voice lately.

So what's the solution? I don't know enough about the bow making business to offer any overnight solutions. Couple of things that do come to mind, are don't put out a product that hasn't been thoroughly tested, and maybe help customer service out with an extra staff member or two, but again, I know nothing about this business. Time constraints and costs etc could make my suggestions very difficult, if not impossible.

I've been buying Martin bows for over 30 years and they've given me hundreds of hours of pleasure and I'm sure they have the ability to sort this hicup out, one way or the other. They make excellent bows and have been in the business for a very long time.;)

Destroyer
11-01-2010, 05:18 PM
.I'm sure they have the ability to sort this hicup out, one way or the other.

Lets hope so. Its only been the last few years.............;)

Ehunter
11-02-2010, 09:12 AM
I did crack a set of 2011 limbs, but I am told that it's a real rarity so far. They have quite a few sets out, and virtually no returns. One thing I have noticed, the majority of the bows cracking limbs seem to be set up for speed. Low arrow weight, etc. Granted, they should be built to hold 5gpi/# draw, but that's still stressing the limbs pretty good. I'm guilty of it too. I do know that on the new limbs, they ran a repeated draw test for over 24 hours straight on the new limbs. Not sure how many draw cycles that was, but it should have shown any potential problems.. Looks like 2011 limbs might be the ticket.

timtim146
11-02-2010, 05:26 PM
so would i be able to put the 2011 limbs on my 09 cheetah? that way i can shoot it and my silencer im getting for a long time lol

FireHawk Owner
11-02-2010, 08:45 PM
My concern is are the 10 limbs holding up.:confused:
I Hope 2010 Hold up I just got my third set of limbs three weeks ago.