PDA

View Full Version : Is this cam in the right position?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-01-2010, 03:38 AM
Just wondering if this cam is in the right position? http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/attach/jpg.gif

gibson 787
11-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Hi Hutch, According to the 2010 manual, it would seem that the cam is too far advanced.

On my updated Moab, I set the cam according to the diagram in the Manual, resulting in ATA and BH being spot on. It shoots well, very quiet and very little hand shock.

Destroyer
11-01-2010, 05:08 PM
It shoots well, very quiet and very little hand shock.

That's what you are looking for. As long as it tunes well then I don't think it matters where the rotation is.

justin
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
it looks exactly like my cheetah's cam. mine is tuned out great, is shooting fast and is a little noisy.(campared to some diamonds i shoot around) sounds about exactly like a tr2 of another freinds. but yeah looks good to me.....

~shrugs~

i mean the timing..... ;)

gibson 787
11-01-2010, 06:09 PM
That's what you are looking for. As long as it tunes well then I don't think it matters where the rotation is.

Thanks mate, I should have added that, but it's a good starting point to go by the manual.

Destroyer
11-02-2010, 06:26 PM
it's a good starting point to go by the manual

Agreed. :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys for your answers. A few adjustments, a few quieting devices and the Bengal is ready to go for Saturday.
Martin shooters are a great help!:D

Destroyer
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
the Bengal is ready to go for Saturday.

Hunting Saturday?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Hunting Saturday?

Yep!:D sure am.

timtim146
11-03-2010, 05:41 PM
hey justin your cheetah is probably noisy because the cam is over wound this cam is also a little bit overwound. loosen it up a bit your bow will shoot quieter and have less vibration.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2010, 05:46 PM
hey justin your cheetah is probably noisy because the cam is over wound this cam is also a little bit overwound. loosen it up a bit your bow will shoot quieter and have less vibration.

Too tight to the string right timtim146

Destroyer
11-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Yep!:D sure am.

Good luck! :)

justin
11-03-2010, 06:27 PM

that involves untwisting my shooting string correct? do i need a bow press to do that? lol ill check my manuel =D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
that involves untwisting my shooting string correct? do i need a bow press to do that? lol ill check my manuel =D

Justin you don't need a bow press. Just turn both limb bolts out equally. When you are 5 turns out start looking for the daylight in the holes on the side of the riser. Then slowly back them out till the string and cables are loose.
As for my bow it was twist the cable a few turns and untwist the string a few turns. Leaving approximately 1/4 or a little less from the cam. Every bow is different in how much.

justin
11-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Justin you don't need a bow press. Just turn both limb bolts out equally. When you are 5 turns out start looking for the daylight in the holes on the side of the riser. Then slowly back them out till the string and cables are loose.
As for my bow it was untwist the cable a few turns and twist the string a few turns. Leaving approximately 1/4 or a little less from the cam. Every bow is different in how much.

lol!!! by cable you mean split string? and by string you mean shooting string?

"Leaving approximately 1/4 or a little less from the cam." <----- thats pretty confusing too

(srry im gunna take you guys' advise but i dont want to go backwards because of a miscomunication)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2010, 06:48 PM
lol!!! by cable you mean split string? and by string you mean shooting string?

(srry im gunna take you guys' advise but i dont want to go backwards because of a miscomunication)

Yes the split yoke and the shooting string. Is correct!

justin
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
lol i edited my above post.... whats the 1/4 inch bit....
thanks a bunch guys!!!!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
The space between the shooting string and the cam. Should be less according to all the info that every one as told me. I quieted my bow right down by bringing it closer.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-04-2010, 05:23 AM
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1375&stc=1&d=1288876372
The string being closer to the cam made the bow more quiet. Closing the 1/4 inch gap that I had. Its really shooting well and its ready to go.:D
Thanks again guys!

timtim146
11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
No prob :) oh and is your sts touching your string when not drawn? If it is then make sure it is 1/4 inch away from your string that will make it a little quieter as well

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-04-2010, 10:12 AM
No prob :) oh and is your sts touching your string when not drawn? If it is then make sure it is 1/4 inch away from your string that will make it a little quieter as well

Every bow seems to be different. The STS on My 07 Bengal needed to be a credit card away. My 2010 Bengal seems to only work touching. And it only quiets the bow when touching. Which is fine with me. It is as quiet as it gets.
Well maybe not as quiet as my sons 07 Jaguar. I don't think any bow is as quiet as his. Or at least the ones I have heard.

timtim146
11-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Right right lol yeah I've just noticed on my 09 cheetah that 1/4 inch sounds the quietest but I think ata has an impact on the distance.

justin
11-06-2010, 06:35 AM
lol i havent changed my bow yet, but i looked in my manual and it looks right, but im still gunna try it unwinding my cam a bit.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-06-2010, 08:08 AM
lol i havent changed my bow yet, but i looked in my manual and it looks right, but im still gunna try it unwinding my cam a bit.

It doesn't take much! so don't untwist it too much. Alittle at a time. It took me about 10 to 12 trys to find the sweet spot. Plus adding whiskers helped greatly.:cool:

justin
11-06-2010, 08:19 AM
do the split string and the shooting string together though right? unwind my split string 2 turns and wind my shooting string 2 turns and repeat untill its nice and quiet?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-06-2010, 08:26 AM
do the split string and the shooting string together though right? unwind my split string 2 turns and wind my shooting string 2 turns and repeat untill its nice and quiet?

Yes! just remember if you are shooting high poundage, it will quiet down, but it might not quiet it down to nothing. Mine is shooting 63 lbs and only makes half the noise.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Justin, don't forget twisting the string might change the nocking point and the peep.

justin
11-06-2010, 08:55 AM
thats ok, i havent properly tuned it after putting my apache on it anyway.

justin
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
well i attempted to time my cam....still noisy. idk if its less noisy or not though. im not all the way back though.....

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-07-2010, 08:06 AM
It takes time and a lot of shooting. It also depends on what string silencing devices you are using.

justin
11-07-2010, 11:16 AM
right now all i have is a peep, kisser and loop on my string. hopefully my chrono will be back in action today. i loaned it out and came back with what i hope is a dead battery and a hole in the top plate..........
lol its a paintball crono so it beeps at anything over 300 fps to let you know your shooting "hot" ;)

but anyway right now im pondering either hunting for my doe, or timing my cam a little differnt.