PDA

View Full Version : i need a new martin cheetah string

Martin cheetah
11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
every time i draw the bow back my sting spins the peep out of whack. i understand you can get those rubber tube peeps but i dont want one i use a g5 and i have it set up so it ca turn to the perfect position but it makes me mad and i dont like it. i want a whole new string that dont do that and i want a nice martin string for about 40 dollars and under, is there any.

copterdoc
11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
:D:D:D

I know what you mean!

Historically Martin hasn't been famous for putting great strings on their compound bows. I recommend checking out Archery Talk. There are probably a dozen string makers on there, that will make you a stable string.

You can even get fancy colors and stuff!

Arrow Splitter
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
I definitely agree with copterdoc!!:D

Destroyer
11-04-2010, 07:32 PM
every time i draw the bow back my sting spins the peep out of whack.

Put a twist in the string until it lines up at full draw. My 2010 Pantera rotated 180 degrees when drawn :eek: but it worked ok.

http://www.hmbowstrings.com/products.html

madlaz
11-05-2010, 04:21 AM
Just get you a set of Wicked 1 strings on At and forget about peep rotation great prices get a set off Astroflight and also no fuzz.

elkslayer4x5
11-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Just get you a set of Wicked 1 strings on At and forget about peep rotation great prices get a set off Astroflight and also no fuzz.

Just put a set of Wicked1 rigging on G granddaughters Browning. NIce work, will be ordering more soon, replacing the factory stuff with Wicked's on the rest of the kids bows, and my 60 # Slayer is due for a new set as well. Was really impressed with Joe's work. :)

J758
11-05-2010, 07:53 AM
I've shot mine thousands of times and no peep problems. Serve it lightly above peep and below peep a little. And twist string at full draw like deystroyer said works well. HOW EVER the factory strings aren't the best either but still why buy a string if nuttin wrong with the one u have. And I shoot 100 times a day or more everyday. I've been thinkin bout getting the new green strings to see how they work.

J758
11-05-2010, 08:04 AM
:D:D:D

I know what you mean!

Historically Martin hasn't been famous for putting great strings on their compound bows. I recommend checking out Archery Talk. There are probably a dozen string makers on there, that will make you a stable string.

You can even get fancy colors and stuff!

When my string was new and not shot a lot yet very quiet. Now that the string is stressed,seated what ever you want to call it its a lil louder. Which is normal right?
I don't think peep rotatein has anything to do with the string. Its how its installed. Twisting takes care of it. I think that the only difference in strings is material. So u buy a nice set of string and when it gets the normal stress on it and so on not as thin so to speak so less chance of peep probs right? I must agree not the best strings out there though.

copterdoc
11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
...I don't think peep rotatein has anything to do with the string.
Oh yeah it does!

A stable string, doesn't unwind as it is drawn back. The peep stays aligned from brace, to full draw.

....Twisting takes care of it. I think that the only difference in strings is material.....
String material is a whole lot better today, than it was 15-20 years ago. However, the way a string is constructed, has very much to do, with how stable the string will be.

I used to twist my strings so that the peep was aligned at full draw. I didn't care if the peep was facing the opposite direction at brace, as long as I could see through it at full draw.

After buying some well constructed strings, for a lot less money than I thought they would be, I realized that if the string is made right, the peep sight doesn't do it's impression of a merry-go-round, every time I draw my bow.

Spiker
11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
+1. With a good string the peep will never rotate!

ElkSlayer
11-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Oh yeah it does!

A stable string, doesn't unwind as it is drawn back. The peep stays aligned from brace, to full draw.

After buying some well constructed strings, for a lot less money than I thought they would be, I realized that if the string is made right, the peep sight doesn't do it's impression of a merry-go-round, every time I draw my bow.

exactly.. fix the peep buy adding or removing twist let it do its impressions for now ..but buy all means up grade to a qualty made string.. I just added twists to shorten my string and now my peep points one way and loop the other but at full draw its all good.. used to stay put BH to FD...so new string is on the list..just because i dont like merry go rounds ;)

bfisher
11-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Oh yeah it does!

String material is a whole lot better today, than it was 15-20 years ago. However, the way a string is constructed, has very much to do, with how stable the string will be.

I used to twist my strings so that the peep was aligned at full draw. I didn't care if the peep was facing the opposite direction at brace, as long as I could see through it at full draw.

Just adding to what is said here, with only a few exceptions most strings are made of BCY8125 or BCY452X these days. Brownell has a couple of materials that are very similar. These are all pretty much the standard these days and are very stable if constructed properly, which is almost a science unto itself. What I'm pointing out is that for the most part string material is a non-issue. It's how it's constructed. Installation isn't, or shouldn't be an issue either. Most aftermarket string makers build the strings, which somewhere during the process are twisted to the proper length and when finished they tie serving or clip the end loops together to maintain the length. This should not be altered during installation, except maybe a half twist or a few to get the peep aligned properly. These couple twists are not going to change the length to any amount that can be measured.

Now there are times when somebody screws up and makes them to the wrong length, but not often. If this becomes the case it's usually better to call the string maker and discuss it rather than adding or subtracting a bunch of twists or bashing them on some internet forum. It's a small but competitive market and they are usually ready to right their wrong.

Also, after installing new rigging it sometimes takes a little while for the string to creep, maybe 1/8". During this time your peep may change it's orientation, but it should not rotate during the draw cycle. After a while it'll settle down and be stable at which time you reposition the peep.

The other plus to good strings is that during the life of the string the bow, once tuned, should not change it's tune so you as a shooter are not wondering "why doesn't my bow shoot as good as it did last week?" In most cases it'll end up being the shooter, not the bow. It alleviates some guess work and wonderment.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
I build strings. String material and pre-stretching make a difference. If you use BCY 8125 you are likely to have some creep through out the life of the string.
If you use trophy or 452x you are less likely to have any creep over the life of the string. Then there is stretching. If you pre-stretch a string @300 pounds of tension (some do it up to 420 pounds) you will likely have no peep rotation. This last string I built for the replacement of the yellow string :eek:. It took less than 10 shots and the peep was settled in. This mainly because I was using 8125.Once it settled in it hasn't moved (moved means less than a half turn). So a custom built string is the best way to go. The benefits to it out way any other way.

Benefits
1.custom colors
2.speed and durability
3.made to specs. (not mass produced)
4.no peep rotation
5.quality materials
6.more quiet string
7.etc etc etc.

Hope this helps
HUTCH

copterdoc
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
...I just added twists to shorten my string and now my peep points one way and loop the other but at full draw its all good.. used to stay put BH to FD...
Here's a suggestion.

Cut off the loop and replace it with a couple of brass nocksets. Shoot a few arrows, and twist the string as needed to align the peep, without the loop installed. It should only take about 10 shots for the peep to re-stabilize.

Once it is "right" without the loop, put a new loop on, and you should be able to draw the bow, without the peep getting dizzy.

RobD
11-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Cut off the loop and replace it with a couple of brass nocksets. Shoot a few arrows, and twist the string as needed to align the peep, without the loop installed. It should only take about 10 shots for the peep to re-stabilize.

Once it is "right" without the loop, put a new loop on, and you should be able to draw the bow, without the peep getting dizzy.

Never heard that before. great to know. Might be handy in the future.

ElkSlayer
11-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for that handy tip.... I got it to settle to a half turn now ;) good enough tell i get a new (shorter) string..