PDA

View Full Version : Pin gap?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I was wondering if pin gap, is usually an equal distance a part for all pins. Or does it gradually get wider in the longer yardage. Crazy ? I know. But the reason I ask is that I put my bow in my shooting machine and shot it up to 70yds (indoors @ 20yds). And on paper the arrows show a 3 1/2" gap all the way up to 60yds. The last measurement between 60 and 70yds is 4". I am able to shoot up to 100yds with this sight. So I want to get it right so I don't won't to miss and loose an arrow if possible.:confused:

justin
11-04-2010, 05:52 PM
lol i was under the understanding that you chronoed your bow and used the corrisponding tape for single pin sights. balistic coefficient of your individual aarow shouldnt matter a whole lot (though watching a shooting machine on utube showed that turbo knock hunters and fobs dropped alot more than T4 turbo knocks on blazered aarows at 50 yards) anyway, its probably going to boil down to shooting alot and moving back slowly and adjusting your sight accordingly...... :D

but you knew that!

on a side note.... my freind stacks his 3pin and gets 20, 30, and 40. mine have very noticable gap and get wider with yardage, and im shooting 20 fps faster than he is..........

Ehunter
11-04-2010, 06:01 PM
With every bow I've ever shot, the pin gap gets progressively wider as the distance increases. Faster bows obviously have a smaller gap, but it still expands as distances increase. My '08 Moab has room for pins from 20 to 60 yards. The same sight on my Firecat, and I can go to 70 yards, with room for more pins if I wanted them.

Destroyer
11-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Or does it gradually get wider in the longer yardage. Crazy ?

Not crazy. Usually it gets wider but it depends on a few things. A shooting machine isn't a good way to check the sight on your bow, you don't shoot the same way each time so you 'average' the shots.

You need to sight in the way you hunt with it using your rangefinder for the distances if you use one. If your consistently shooting well don't worry at all about the gaps.

justin
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
lol exactly!!

kinda makes me like my fixed pins......
i guess a self marked tape would be ok......

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys! It has been along time since I have shot a muti pin sight. So I had forgotten about the pin gap and the distance between. I've been shooting a single pin that has a excellent range of yardage. I built a shooting / drawing machine. To tune the bow as well as take out human error. It is a excellent tool. I tune my arrows with it. I check limb twist with it. I sight in my bow with it.I check DW,DL,with it. It is a nice tool. Recently I tuned my bow with it out to 40yds, and the only difference between me and the machine was a 1/2". :rolleyes: Of course it was me torquing the bow.
With the info you guys gave me I am going to finish sighting in up to 100yds and see how far off I am.
THANKS HUTCH

Arrow Splitter
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
lol exactly!!

kinda makes me like my fixed pins......
i guess a self marked tape would be ok......

On my Truglo Range Rover I have a self marked tape, and I have yardages marked up to 70 on it, but I can go more.

elkslayer4x5
11-05-2010, 06:15 AM
I have a self marked tape, and I have yardages marked up to 70 on it, but I can go more.

I also mark my own tapes, still have all the sight tapes that come with the HHA OL 5519's, marked out to 65 yds on the 60#er and 85 yds on the 55#er, and still have a bit more. Love single pin sliders, da bomb! Way too old school for computer tapes. Besides, I like shooting for any reason, and resighting in is just another practice session. My yardage marks gradually get wider, noticably after 50 yds. :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I also mark my own tapes, still have all the sight tapes that come with the HHA OL 5519's, marked out to 65 yds on the 60#er and 85 yds on the 55#er, and still have a bit more. Love single pin sliders, da bomb! Way too old school for computer tapes. Besides, I like shooting for any reason, and resighting in is just another practice session. My yardage marks gradually get wider, noticably after 50 yds. :cool:

Ya I love the single pin too! I like that it has such a long range. And they are simple to use. I have the ability to shoot out to 110yds. But I decided to only go 100yds. Not that I would shoot a deer that far away. Just to play around with shooting target.

J758
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I want to try a one pin sight. I only use one to hunt with. 30 yards. I can't see myself adjusting a sight when I want to shoot a deer. I have 2 pins set 30 and 40. But will only shoot at 30. I think the adjustable sight would be fun for target shooting. Will try one. I guess I could just leave it set next year for 20 yards and not shoot beyond that. Too late in the game for me to go change my sights. Bow hunting till jan 4.

Not to get off your subject but do you guys use a adjustable sight for hunting or just straight target? But I was also thinking set the one pin at 30 hunt with it then I can play with a longer range of practice also.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I want to try a one pin sight. I only use one to hunt with. 30 yards. I can't see myself adjusting a sight when I want to shoot a deer. I have 2 pins set 30 and 40. But will only shoot at 30. I think the adjustable sight would be fun for target shooting. Will try one. I guess I could just leave it set next year for 20 yards and not shoot beyond that. Too late in the game for me to go change my sights. Bow hunting till jan 4.

Not to get off your subject but do you guys use a adjustable sight for hunting or just straight target? But I was also thinking set the one pin at 30 hunt with it then I can play with a longer range of practice also.

We use it for hunting and target. Just set it at the yardage you want and anything from that yardage under is dead. If a possibility of anything further than that, we aim a little higher.

ElkSlayer
11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I use a 5 pin on my hunting bow ..yes pin gap grows ...how much depends on bow/arrow.. I use a single pin /slider on my target bow... And Yes lots of guys use single pin sliders to hunt.. It took 4x5 a split secound to set his HHA on the 34 yds I wisperd to him...ok so realy i said 30ish ..point is he had all the time he needed to arrow this buck

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=3814

Hutch~n~Son Archery.......let us know how close your machine sets your sights to how you need them...watch that bow torque:D

bfisher
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I use a 5 pin on my hunting bow ..yes pin gap grows ...how much depends on bow/arrow.. I use a single pin /slider on my target bow... And Yes lots of guys use single pin sliders to hunt.. It took 4x5 a split secound to set his HHA on the 34 yds I wisperd to him...ok so realy i said 30ish ..point is he had all the time he needed to arrow this buck

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=3814

Hutch~n~Son Archery.......let us know how close your machine sets your sights to how you need them...watch that bow torque:D

Yeah, it takes but only a second or two to change the pin in a hunting situation as you described. Elk is a different ball game from Eastern hardwoods whitetails, that's for sure. Here in Pa. most all ETHICAL shots will be 30 yards or less. I've found that with almost any bow shooting above 265 fps you can set the sight for 25 yards and shoot anything within that 30 yards with little thought to holding high or low. Hold the middle of the chest cavity and your arrow should hit somewhere within the vital area--3" high or low I could care less about. The results are the same. And the only yardage estimation needed is to figure if the deer is within 30 yards. If so then just aim and make your best shot.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Here in NH 30yds or less is the most common. Due to the heavy forests. So we usually set the pin for 30 or 35yds. It doesn't matter how close they get at that point. And they have been really close this year.:D

Brem
11-05-2010, 01:42 PM
you guys got me curious. My pins are stacked on top of one another. I have a 3 pin and have them set at 30,40 and 50 yrds. 30 yd pin at 20 yrs is 3 1/2" high. I checked it all the way back to 50 and each lower pin is about 3 1/2 inches high at the higher pin yardage.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
you guys got me curious. My pins are stacked on top of one another. I have a 3 pin and have them set at 30,40 and 50 yrds. 30 yd pin at 20 yrs is 3 1/2" high. I checked it all the way back to 50 and each lower pin is about 3 1/2 inches high at the higher pin yardage.

Exactly what mine is till 60 to 70yds. The measurement between every arrow from 20 to 60yards was 3 1/2 inches. Because I was using a shooting machine they were exactly 3 1/2 inches. Till I got to 60 to 70yds. Then they became 4" apart. Now to keep going to 100yds. :D

ElkSlayer
11-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Its not the wide open paire here eather..we have stuff you cant even draw a bow in let alone get a shot off...use what you like :cool:

elkslayer4x5
11-06-2010, 06:09 AM
I hunt with mine, in fact I only have sliders, both HHA OL 5519's. While hunting, I set the sight at 30yds, but don't lock it down. I also carry a rangefinder, and use it. When I sit a stand or watch a game trail, within the first 5 minutes I've ranged each tree, bush, rock, all identifable points, so where the critter is in that area, I already know the yardage, its real simple to move to the required mark. Only Barry gets an avatar here, but if you see my username over on any bowhunting site like ArcheryTalk, my avatar was shot using a slider. The story is over on the bowhunting section of this site. :D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Thats a key point elkslayer4x5 leave it unlocked. Just in case.;)