PDA

View Full Version : What kind of targets are you guys using?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Just like to know what kind of target you guys are using?

justin
11-15-2010, 04:17 PM
im shooting my cousins 3d bear right now but ive shot it out. im looking for a new target. might get a black hole or a big bag..... havent decided yet.....

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Just wondering what everyone else is using. because we make our own. As far as 3d targets we haven't bought any yet. But hopefully will for our range.

FireHawk Owner
11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Just wondering what everyone else is using. because we make our own. As far as 3d targets we haven't bought any yet. But hopefully will for our range. How do you make your targets

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Out of corrugated plastic signs like the ones coca-cola and Pepsi use for there out door signs. We make a 1x1" square frame. Then we staple the signs on all sides except the front. Then we fill it with shrink wrap, plastic, etc. Then face it with a poly tarp or land scape material. http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1384&stc=1&d=1289873144
This one of the first and goofy looking ones we made. I don't have any of the really pro looking ones. I suppose I'll have to take some pics. We also make them with full open face for more shooting area.

FireHawk Owner
11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I have made a few out of rug. 5-8 pieces sandwiched together Make it as big as you want. Really good for long distance shooting. I have on in my front yard 8'' high by 5'' wide

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
We made them out of carpet for awhile. They tended to wear out the way we shoot. These last for years. All we do is reface them every six months.

FireHawk Owner
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Out of corrugated plastic signs like the ones coca-cola and Pepsi use for there out door signs. We make a 1x1" square frame. Then we staple the signs on all sides except the front. Then we fill it with shrink wrap, plastic, etc. Then face it with a poly tarp or land scape material.
This one of the first and goofy looking ones we made. I don't have any of the really pro looking ones. I suppose I'll have to take some pics. We also make them with full open face for more shooting area.
Yours looks a lot better then mine

Arrow Splitter
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Just wondering what everyone else is using.because we make our own.

They work well too!:D:D

FireHawk Owner
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
We made them out of carpet for awhile. They tended to wear out the way we shoot. These last for years. All we do is reface them every six months. yes they do wear quick. All my friends are always dropping carpet off here. Have to try it like yours, would be nice to have something that last more then a month.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
To try it out take a big box 18" deep. stuff it with plastic from anything you can find. We use pellets bags. A better stuffing is old clothes (no buttons or zippers)
And try it out. Then you can expand it from there. If you need details on how we make ours. Pm me!

BackwoodsGolfPro
11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I bought a "big Cube" which is about 3 x 3 feet and is a Styrofoam block. I paid 20 bucks for it and shortly realized that i should have invested more money in a more durable bag! I wore the target out in a week and the arrows soon started passing through the block after about 100 shots!!! worst decision ever! I am looking at a Broadhead/field tip combo bag now!

Until then Ill just use my girlfriends cat as a target! :D

Money Man
11-15-2010, 07:05 PM
I also bought a big cube thinking the $20 would be a good way to start and I could move onto something more durable later. The first day I put about 50 arrows into it a 20 yards and had huge chunks coming out of it. Read about these more durable home made targets, think that might be the way to go.
Hutch, I like the idea of the soda signs. I have seen other designs using wood with chicken wire. How do the arrows hold up on the chicken wire? Do you have any problems with the plastic of the soda sign discoloring or marking your arrows?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2010, 01:36 AM
I also bought a big cube thinking the $20 would be a good way to start and I could move onto something more durable later. The first day I put about 50 arrows into it a 20 yards and had huge chunks coming out of it. Read about these more durable home made targets, think that might be the way to go.
Hutch, I like the idea of the soda signs. I have seen other designs using wood with chicken wire. How do the arrows hold up on the chicken wire? Do you have any problems with the plastic of the soda sign discoloring or marking your arrows?

The soda signs act as walls to hold old clothes, plastic bags, shrink wrap etc etc. We shoot through the tarp into the plastic bags, shrink wrap etc. This packed well stops an arrow at point blank shot.
As far as chicken wire as a facing holder it has no affect on the arrows.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2010, 01:41 AM
Here is some links for lifetime targets these are great targets.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1342111&highlight=Lifetime+targets
http://archeryreport.com/2010/05/diy-lifetime-target-build/

madlaz
11-16-2010, 02:47 AM
I have tried all kinds of home made targets they just wear out to fast and you are constantly rebuilding them i shoot alot so i bought a spyderweb target kind of pricey but worth every penny.arrows come out easy if you have the correct size points hard to find anything better.

RLW
11-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Using a just simple plastic/fiber filled bag. It's been holding up ok, but did just put another cover on it.

Not long ago bought a small Black Hole target that was on sale for broadhead tuning/practice and after 50-60 shots already have chunks sliced out of it. Can't see it holding up for a lot of shooting, but light enough to throw in the truck for camp practice

SonnyThomas
11-16-2010, 06:16 AM
At home I have 2 or 3 older 3D targets, a pronghorn, ram and deer somewhere. The Ram is a real old McKenzie. It has the heavier foam core laced some type of material. I don't use unless have to situation because pulling arrows from it it like trying to pull a bulldozer going the other way.
I have a 3rd Hand Rag Bag on my 80 yard walk up target lane. I've shot out my 40 yard Pacific bale and have another coming. The Pacific lasted about 200,000 shots. I really don't know, but I bought it in 2005, so 4 years use.
And then I just sold off 4 Rineharts that I bought for a song, about $25 each after the deal was completed. Another club is said to be closing and I'm going to try to latch onto a few more Rineharts.

At the shop, we have a 16 lane practice area with Pacific bales and 15 3D targets. Here, we have the floor marked off for a the NFAA Bunny Round, 20 feet to 35 feet, 10 yards of course, 20 and 21 yards and when no one is around, 25, 30 and 33 yards.

Spiker
11-16-2010, 09:35 AM
I built this target this past spring after getting tired of all the blocks and bags and such wearing out. It is basically just a box made out of 2"x10".
The 'roof' is hinged so I can re-pack or add stuffing (it's full of old clothes) the back is covered with a sheet of 3/8" thick rubber mat I found on the hiway and the front unscrews to replace the face (landscape material)
I've been shooting it all year and havent had to do any of the above yet.
The shelf on the right is to set a block target on to shoot broadheads at.
The whole deal cost me about $100.
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=253

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I built this target this past spring after getting tired of all the blocks and bags and such wearing out. It is basically just a box made out of 2"x10".
The 'roof' is hinged so I can re-pack or add stuffing (it's full of old clothes) the back is covered with a sheet of 3/8" thick rubber mat I found on the hiway and the front unscrews to replace the face (landscape material)

Nice set up Spiker thats what I'm talking about. Its nice to have a playground.:cool::cool::cool:

Stéphane
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't have a huge backyard, so I dug in the hill side and I got myself a 50ft range. Bought a Morrell and I'm happy with it. So easy to pull the arrows out.

Oh, and it came with an arrow retriever.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2718.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_3003.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2712.jpg

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey, can I borrow the dog for retrieving my arrows!;)

justin
11-16-2010, 03:03 PM
yeah spiker that is a sweet target!!! im going to have to build one......this spring. im thinking im going to try to hit alot of 3d next year. so im going to attempt to wear out a few targets first. might try for a turkey this spring too

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Justin check out the link on this thread and it will show you how to build that target.:D

justin
11-16-2010, 03:20 PM
the new owner of the doodle rests (sorry dont remember the specifics) is about 2.5 hours from where i live, and ocasionally work takes me there. might check the place out next time im that direction.

Spiker
11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Thats a great setup to shoot at!
Hope you like the Bengal.

Stéphane
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Thats a great setup to shoot at!
Hope you like the Bengal.

Thanks. I thought about building one like yours, but because of the lack of space (50 ft), I thought this would work perfectly and be cheaper. $100ish for everything. Plus, I'm not what you call an expert with building stuff.

No, no Bengal yet. I'm hoping to get it next week. I'm so thrilled at the thought of having a brand new bow!! . . . I might have to move to the shooting range for a week or 2. :D

alex
11-17-2010, 02:23 AM

It looks great, Scott! I use an old suitcase full of clothes, a cardboard box filled with paper and cardboard and a nylon sack filled with nylon. They all work, but don't look good.

alex
11-17-2010, 02:25 AM
Excellent job, Stephane! And you have a helper :)

Spiker
11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Alex - I really like the old suitcase idea!

RobD
11-17-2010, 07:01 AM
I like that set up Alex. Looks professionally made also. Great job.;)

alex
11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Alex - I really like the old suitcase idea!

The best is that you can easily carry it :D It's made from artificial leather and is filled with old clothes, including a woollen coat - it can stop every arrow.

Spiker
11-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Hey Alex - do you shoot the compound with a release?

alex
11-17-2010, 08:52 AM
The MOAB -yes. The older Perfect Line - with fingers :)