PDA

View Full Version : Homemade target warning!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Just remembered something I should have mentioned in the target thread I started. If you stuff your target with plastic make sure you don't use it in the rain or in the winter. Reason is when the plastic becomes wet the arrow slides right through. When the plastic is dry the arrow will cause friction not passing through. Sorry I forgot that one detail.
Hutch

SonnyThomas
11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
I was going to suggest something and got sidetracked. Industrial shrink wrap. Large parts are sometimes shrink wrapped onto the shipping pallet. This stuff is outstanding compared to regular plastic. Rain doesn't effect stopping strength as the shrink wrap is fairly thick, 3 to 4 times that of a bread wrapper. My 3rd Hand bag is stuffed with shrink wrap that came from Caterpillar Inc. I would guess it some 6 or 7 years old. When arrows begin to go through the off side I pull the shrink wrap out and re stuff it into the bag and I'm good to go for a while longer.

Hint; Depending on the material you use, softer plastic, folded felt lay-down for carpeting or even old jeans folded on placed on the off side does help to prevent pass throughs.

Ehunter
11-20-2010, 01:55 AM
I recently received a bag target that is filled with what I can only describe as plastic window screen mesh. Not sure what the cost would be to make one, but it stops arrows dead. Rain, cold, nothing effects it. Might be worth looking at for a target filler.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-20-2010, 03:47 AM
There is a lot of things you can stuff a target with. The best thing that I have heard is clothing. Minus the zippers and buttons and you are good to go! The best target I have seen on the market is Spyder web targets. But they are a bit pricey :eek:. They are filled with cotton cloth which seems to stop an arrow great. I heard that you can buy the facing material by the linear foot. But that is a bit pricey. So that is why we make our own. We experiment with facings and fillers. Just to see what works the best. Anyones ideas are welcome because it just helps with getting a better target and helps us all.:D
THANKS GUYS

SonnyThomas
11-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Whoa! Clothing is not so good. Yes, it will stop arrows, but then pulling them out can be horrendous, especially if wet. We had a bag setup for our chronograph and quickly found this out. And then wet and it freezes! Kinda bad for arrows.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Whoa! Clothing is not so good. Yes, it will stop arrows, but then pulling them out can be horrendous, especially if wet. We had a bag setup for our chronograph and quickly found this out. And then wet and it freezes! Kinda bad for arrows.

Hey Sonny what about with a roof over it, Like Spikers? Will that solve the problem? For most of the set ups I've seen they have old clothes in them with roofs over them. And all said they were great.

justin
12-30-2010, 03:10 PM
ok i just jacked the first target thread i could find. ive been shooting a foam makinzie shotblocker in my basement and on the top of it i saw some compant name tagged on there out of dike iowa.... i drive bt dike virtually every day on my way to work. im curious if they manufacture in dike? if they do i wonder if i could pick up some blem blocks for cheap.....

Money Man
12-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I read somewhere about the homemade targets, that you can use landscape fabric, it's usually on a roll about 3 feet wide, and is a dark gray or black color. Roll out enough to cover the target, and you could even use chalk to draw targets. As for filler plastic, if you are looking for shrink wrap, garden centers, and hardware stores that sell bags of peat moss, potting soil and other similar items are all shrink wrapped to the pallet, and due to the weight of the bags, they use quite a bit of it.

NeilM
12-30-2010, 11:59 PM
I fill all my bag targets with the wrap that is put around hayledge (animal feed) bales.

We have horses and there are lots of dairy farmers close to us, so there is always plenty of the wrap around, especially at this time of year. I pack it well in and it stops my 300fps arrows right in as close at 3 yards with no problems.

ElkSlayer
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
landscape fabric dose work well.
We used the kids old trampoline tarp. And the fiber fill out of a few old couches.. Works well.. son in laws fear of spiders keeps him from stirring up the fill:rolleyes: so he did get a few that pass threw..
Lasted 2 years not bad for something we tossed together...
Now that we know what to do, once we redo it should last a long time.
Just to get him to commit to help redo it…after he strips of a few more fletching:eek:
I will just keep shooting our yellow jacket;)

elkslayer4x5
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
A few years back, I made a bag target and stuffed it with strips of blue tarp, minus all of the groments, made a mistake the first time when I folded the strips, stoped that arrow fine, just was a female dog to remove, works way bettter just stuffed in. Worked well at the time, now need new bags, and think that I'll make then using that landscape material. Should be plenty of scraps after my son gets done covering the garden area, right Elkslayer? :D

justin
12-31-2010, 11:27 AM
lol it was my intention to barrow this old thread to see if anyone knew about those blocks...but i was working on some equipment at home depot and saw they had loads of shrinkwrap, and another place had like five combos full of old shrinkwrap sitting around!

elkslayer4x5
01-01-2011, 06:42 AM
lol it was my intention to barrow this old thread to see if anyone knew about those blocks...but i was working on some equipment at home depot and saw they had loads of shrinkwrap, and another place had like five combos full of old shrinkwrap sitting around!

So after you get some of that landsape fabric, are you going into a bag target making sideline? LOL. :)

justin
01-01-2011, 07:36 AM
very possibly. i have a brother that works for a plastic recycling company that has bales of shrinkwrap!!! im planning a nice large face with alot of spots!!!!

Spiker
01-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Went out and shot my homemade target this morning. Thought I would start off the new year right.
It is stuffed with old clothes and has been outside most of last year. It is minus 15 degrees and the target works just fine. Stops the arrows with about 6"-8" of penetration and they pull out with 2 fingers.

alex
01-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Yeah, the old clothes work best, even better then the nylon.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Here are a few targets my son and I made.
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1452http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1454&stc=1&d=1293917886453&stc=1&d=1293917886&stc=1&d=1293917886http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1455&stc=1&d=1293917886
My son made the smaller ones I made the big one. They are made out of mostly recyclable materials. The sides are old corrugated coca cola outdoor signs. The 1"x1" frame is old wood from a deck. The plastic is shrink wrap and pellet bags.
The facing is a old roll of house wrap. The arrow in the target was shot at point blank.

Hutch

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I forget to mention. When we stuff our targets we usually put weight on the plastic for a couple of days. Then we refill and weight. Then we refill and weight.Then we refill and weight. They are usually stiff as a brick. That makes it less penetration and easy to pull the arrow out.

Hutch

alex
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
They look good, Hutch. I'm a little lazy when it comes to the targets - recently use just cardboard boxes filled with old newspapers. When they are completely ruined everything goes into the stove/fireplace.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 01:43 PM
They look good, Hutch. I'm a little lazy when it comes to the targets - recently use just cardboard boxes filled with old newspapers. When they are completely ruined everything goes into the stove/fireplace.

Its whatever keeps you shooting. By the way how long of shoot do you get out of your target.

Hutch

Simple Life
01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I have stuffed old feed bags with lumber tarps,most of which are cross woven,worked great and usually gets the tarps from Home Depot for free.;)

alex
01-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Hutch, I can't say exactly, but with some repairs they last about 6-8 weeks, lets say 75 shots a day average. And i use a modular system :D - 3 boxes in a larger box without a front side and change only the first one. This is with the traditional bows and an old style compound, i shoot the MOAB at an old suitcase full of clothes.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Ours usually last about 6 months. That is 3 to 4 of us shooting regularly. Then the only thing we have to do is staple on a new face. Saves us a lot of time.

HUTCH

alex
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Oh, you're a whole archery gang! :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Oh, you're a whole archery gang! :)

Then add some customers and will take the town.:D

Hutch

Ehunter
01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
I have been using old hot tub covers and cardboard for my targets. The styroafoam in a cover is usually 2-2 1/2 inches thick. I take one layer of foam, then 3-4 layers of cardboard. Then another layer of foam. Keep doing that until the target is at least a foot thick. Mine's a little over 2 feet thick, 3 feet wide, 4 feet tall. Mine's in a wood frame, but ratchet straps would work just as well. You can get the old hot tub covers for free from a local pool and spa place, and I use the cardboard that is on top of pallets we get chemicals shipped on. I even leave the vinyl covering on the tub covers. Plenty of room for dots, pretty light weight, and all you have to do is replace the first couple layers once or twice a year, depending on how much you shoot.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 05:36 PM
I have been using old hot tub covers and cardboard for my targets. The styroafoam in a cover is usually 2-2 1/2 inches thick. I take one layer of foam, then 3-4 layers of cardboard. Then another layer of foam. Keep doing that until the target is at least a foot thick. Mine's a little over 2 feet thick, 3 feet wide, 4 feet tall. Mine's in a wood frame, but ratchet straps would work just as well. You can get the old hot tub covers for free from a local pool and spa place, and I use the cardboard that is on top of pallets we get chemicals shipped on. I even leave the vinyl covering on the tub covers. Plenty of room for dots, pretty light weight, and all you have to do is replace the first couple layers once or twice a year, depending on how much you shoot.

That is a good way as well. Cheap and works well. Why pay to play when most of the time you can build it free.

HUTCH

MLN1963
01-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Hutch

It seems this post was started in reference to a previous post you made about homemade targets. I would like to read that other thread but haven;t had any luck finding it. Suppose you could point me in the right direction? Please?

Thanks
Mark

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Here is the link

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=8124

Hutch

MLN1963
01-14-2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks Hutch!