PDA

View Full Version : String jumping the wheel

flatsman
11-21-2010, 06:33 AM
I've had my string jump the wheel 3 times now on my 08' cheetah in past 2 years. It happens when I let down without shooting. twice it happened dry with no arrow and once in the field when I let down with an arrow knocked. it seems like I may jerking a bit when I let down but can't be sure.

any tips on why this is happening or how to prevent it? thanks.

SonnyThomas
11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Top wheel lean may have something to do with it, but by and large, 80% or more let off is the primary cause. I'll try to explain. People tend to grasp the grip when letting down and this creates a bit of torque. Enough that the string is just a tad on the side of the groove instead fully down in the groove. Then with the cam taking over the rapid let down has the string crawl up and out of the groove. Not to forget, the short axle to axle is part of this - string at a steeper angle.

Now, I've had this happen to me when checking draw weight. Pull the bow down and then when starting to let up, whap, the string jumps off the top wheel. Okay, I'm pulling down from the side, not straight down.

I have had this happen on one other bow, a Pearson. This bow also had 80% let off.

flatsman
11-22-2010, 05:22 AM
thanks for the reply. I'll try to not grip or torque when letting down. I checked the wheel. I does not seem to be leaning.

flats