PDA

View Full Version : Green Strings

Montalaar
11-28-2010, 02:55 AM
Who needs them? :P

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs591.ash2/154356_176368969056419_100000499512571_585723_2324 765_n.jpg

Montalaar
11-28-2010, 02:56 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1176.snc4/154861_176368982389751_100000499512571_585724_3075 716_n.jpg

Cables are a blend of red/orange and a bit black.

String is a blend of orange and red but divided into red/orange/red/orange, making it virtually a 4 color-string.

alex
11-28-2010, 06:12 AM
They look awesome, Simon! How about a picture of the Shadowcat with them? :)
Oh, but i would like a set of green strings for free ;)

Montalaar
11-28-2010, 07:46 AM
You wont get a set for free. :/

Anyway. I will change them next weekend. Although i feel a bit ill now and i am not sure if it is useful to compete at next weekends tournament. No practice for 2 months...

alex
11-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I hope you'll feel better soon. Can't say about the tournament - i've never participated in one. I also haven't shot for about 3 weeks, but the last 2 days i had some trad bow shooting. After a dozen of shots i remembered how to do it ;) Too bad it's cold and rainy here.

dragonsfire311
11-28-2010, 08:35 PM
good looking strings

Ehunter
11-29-2010, 03:35 AM
Montalaar, did you have green strings before? One thing I noticed on the 2011bows is that the flourescent green string tends to "fuzz out" a peep sight, at least for me. Almost like the light green creates a halo effect for me. I really like the orange/red/black look on your strings! Might be looking at something like that myself!

bfisher
11-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Just a note, but welcome back Simon. You've been missed, at least by me.

Good looking strings. I'm not real crazy about green either.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Nice strings Montalaar, did you make those? Do hope you feel better.

Montalaar
11-30-2010, 05:42 AM
Well.... i got a cold attended with fever. Starts to get better already but.. Yeah... Not that good. I think i will cancel my torunament next weekend.

@Ehunter
Thanks. No i had no Martin green strings. I had green strings around two or three years ago but not made by Martin.

@bfisher
Thank you Barry. Good to know that you are here and always willing to help people.
I like green. But i would try green/pink strings. :D

@Hutch
Yepp, i made those strings myself. I really like to do them myself..

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Montalaar what material did you use for your strings? I use Bcy. And yes I too like my making my own strings. I feel more confident with my own. I do like the colors you did. I need to expand my colors. I only have six right now.
Hutch

Montalaar
12-01-2010, 03:40 AM
I only have 6 of them, too. But as every spool costs around 55$ here i wont buy too many new spools soon.

All my strings are made out of bcy452x. Although i learned to make my strings with FF+-yarn for my recurve bow i switched to bcy452x shortly after.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
I have an account with bcy. I use 8125 and or 452x. I am also thinking of trying trophy. I am going to be remodeling my basement so I can set up my equipment better. I have a custom motorized string jig and stretcher. I have fun building my own strings. As I can see you too!

Montalaar
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I have an account with bcy. I use 8125 and or 452x. I am also thinking of trying trophy. I am going to be remodeling my basement so I can set up my equipment better. I have a custom motorized string jig and stretcher. I have fun building my own strings. As I can see you too!

I am not sure if there is anything better with Trophy. The percentages of the contained materials differ just a bit compared to 8125 and 452x and i am so satisfied with 452x...

I do everything with my own hands, nothing motorized. Last weekend i just changed the design of the rack by removing the old and slightly bend aluminium posts and replacing them by steel posts. They still bend a bit as soon as i prestrecht the string but it is not that bad anymore. Now i need to find a way to build a new locking mechanism for the jig as the three screws i use currently do not work that good any longer. I could drill a new thread into the aluminium but i do not want that. It would be only a hot fix. Well... Nothing came up my mind yet.

How do you secure your jig from moving?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-02-2010, 01:35 AM
I custom built the jig I have. I can use it as motorized or not. I generally build my strings by hand. They turn out good both ways. But I like building them by hand.

Montalaar
12-02-2010, 02:22 AM
Yeah, my jig is also custom built and i really like it. The only problem is that i cannot really secure the posts from sliding towards each other any longer as the screws that pressed onto the movable part of the jig have no thread any longer. I need to find a different idea for that but i am not sure how to do that.

Okay, i have ONE idea. Well, i will make a drawing and maybe someone here can help me.

Montalaar
12-02-2010, 05:25 AM
Here is a drawing i made of the jig.

The three bolts that hold the sliding profile go right through the wooden insert. Unfortunately the screw thread is destroyed so i need a better solution for that. I do not want to drill a new thread for that purpose as that would only be a fix for some months. THere must be a better solution.

Any ideas?

Spiker
12-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Here is a drawing i made of the jig.

The three bolts that hold the sliding profile go right through the wooden insert. Unfortunately the screw thread is destroyed so i need a better solution for that. I do not want to drill a new thread for that purpose as that would only be a fix for some months. THere must be a better solution.

Any ideas?

What is the bottom piece (aluminum, steel, ???)
Is it just tapped and the bolts thread into it?

Montalaar
12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Ah. Well.

The shifting alloy profile is inserted into a significant larger alloy profile. It is twice as tall as the shifting one so the wooden board fits into it.

So if you cut the whole jig from the side instead of the front (pictured) you would see:
a really large profile with a wooden board (grey colored in the above picture) and a second (smaller) alloy profile in it. The wood is on top of the shifting profile.

alex
12-02-2010, 07:04 AM
How about a picture, Simon? I'm afraid my English (and may be yours too ;) ) doesn't allow me to understand exactly what's the problem. :)

Montalaar
12-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Yeah, i searched for a picture of it i made but did not find it. But as i am still quite ill i'll have to wait a bit more to make some pictures of it.

alex
12-02-2010, 11:19 AM
OK, Simon, i've read your posts second time and think i understand what's the problem. The best would be to swap the screws with bolts and nuts (if i've read your picture right).
Wish you a quick recovery!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey Montalaar, when you feel better and you can take some pics. I think we could help you with it. I have custom made all my tools. Bow press, string jig, arrow saw, arrow squaring tool etc, I like the challenge of repairing or making it better. If we can we will try to come up with a solution.
HUTCH

ElkSlayer
12-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Montalaar... If I understand this right the locking bolts were threaded through the alloy ( is it aluminum ). and now are striped out

If this is the case it is because the thin alloy only will take a few threads depending on how corse the thread.. easy fix is to epoxy some nuts on the alloy .. other is to bulk up the area with thicker plate of alloy and or use thread inserts...call your local machine shop they can point you to where you can get them localy... I would galdly tell you where here in the states but have no idea what shippin would be for some cheep thread inserts...BTW awsome lookin string...that serving looks nice-n-tight