PDA

View Full Version : Old Martin Bobcat

Unregistered
12-09-2010, 05:32 AM
I have a Martin Bobcat that I assembled from a kit back around the mid 80's. I used it for a year or so in the back yard, lost interest and put it up. It's been a wall decoration in the spare room ever since. I have a renewed interest in shooting it now that I'm retired, have some property and plenty of spare time.

I have some questions and concerns that someone who is familiar with these old style compound bows might be able to help me with. First and most important is... is it safe to shoot? It appears to be OK and I have shot it a few times lately, but it's all original, including the string. I've read that replacement strings on compounds with steel cables should be dacron... true? Next, I only have a few aluminum arrows left... not in such good condition. Can I use carbon arrows? I'm not sure what weight the bow is, but for now I have the limbs backed off to the minimum (according to the manual, which I found archived on the Martin site).

Any tips, suggestions, or other info on this bow would be appreciated.

P.S. Where can I find a berger button, or the like?

Thanks, Greg

RLW
12-09-2010, 06:41 AM
May not hurt to have a local shop look it over and put a new string on it, but I can't think of any reason you shouldn't use it, or know of any reason newer string materials can't be used.

Shop could help set it up for you to and/or check weight........and yes, you can use carbons if you want to.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-09-2010, 02:13 PM
The pro shop will help you out greatly. With a newer string you should be able to pick up some more speed as well. And with the right carbon arrows that will give you more speed as well. Like RLW said no reason you can't use the bow.
Hutch

RLW
12-10-2010, 05:18 AM
.....With a newer string you should be able to pick up some more speed as well. .......Hutch

Speaking of which, my old Firecat has steel teardrop on it too and I used (still use) Martin fast flight bowstrings on it.
Compared to lower end Dacron strings, I saw 3-5fps increase, less stretch and better wear.

But now I'm wondering if Martin even make their bowstrings for the old teardrop cable bows anymore? Just looked and didn't see them listed on the on-line catalog.
I used to buy 3 at a time and set-up all 3 the same for quick swap if needed. Might be a good thing I still have a couple spares.

ElkSlayer
12-10-2010, 01:06 PM
check out Lancaster Archery they have what you need. plunger rest/ strings/ cables for them ole wheel bows .
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/index.php?osCsid=5ggbuemipaijp7lkmbcah6kpk5