PDA

View Full Version : What fletching jig are you guys using?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2010, 03:12 PM
We have two e-z fletcher's. They do ok! But we are looking at the Bohning tower. What do you guys use?
http://www.bohning.com/store/bohning-complete-tower-fletching-jig.html

ElkSlayer
12-10-2010, 03:31 PM
bought a grayling from cabelas darn if i can remember when.. got the right and stright clamp . at the time it was just to do repairs...but in the last few years (kids growing up) it was pressed it to service. Now if I had 2-5 more that would be great..one @ a time is ok for vains but doing feathers took forever...came out great thou so time well spent..all in all a nice cheep jig only had to trim it up a bit for clearance to do sm shafts.

Simple Life
12-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Bitzenburger,but lately been using Nap Quick Fletch.Wife bought me some last year and was really surprised by how durable and good they worked.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Bet the Bitzenburger works great!

Simple Life
12-10-2010, 03:58 PM
It does work good,but I have never used anything else to compare,the best thing ,it was given to me :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Thats a great savings. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Those Bitzenburger's aren't cheap.:D

Ehunter
12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
I started with Cabela's multi fletch. Puts on 3 vanes at a time. Biggest piece of junk I've seen. Now I use a Bitzenberger. I love it.

CarlosII
12-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I use the Bohning jig. Works fine for me but I only do a dozen or so at a time. Tried the Bohning Helix but didn't really didn't see the benefit of the helical fletch on my 3d arrows.

MastaMarksman
12-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Arizona EZ Fletch!

It doesn't get any easier!

-Masta

SonnyThomas
12-10-2010, 07:56 PM
A few. I have a Martin with a straight clamp and I believe a 5 degree clamp, a Bitzenberger with full helical clamp and one with a straight clamp, a Jo-Jan single with full helical clamp, a 2 degree Bohning Tower (was upgraded with new clamp ring which aids spacing and extension blocks to place vanes farther up the shaft), 6 station Jo-Jan with straight clamps and a 6 station Jo-Jan with helical clamps.
For the money I gave for the Bitz, it sucks and then I got into a pis___ match with Bitz over a straight clamp. I don't take crap from no one and da___ hate it when someone spits out BS to me. They screwed up and didn't want to correct the mistake. And the Bitz isn't a bit better than the Martin or Jo-Jan as far as spacing of fletchings. The upgrade kit for the Bitz is a must for perfect spacing, but I think another $35. The 5 degree clamp of the Martin is great as the degree still allows the arrow to be shot through a prong style rest (non-Nano arrows that is). The Bohning Tower??? I don't know as I haven't' worked with it that much - okay for single arrows, I guess, and then kind of costly for a all plastic jig. The multi Jo-Jans have proved the best and then I do quite a few dozen arrows per year. Oddly, though, the multi Jo-Jans have darn good spacing of fletchings. All jigs have their little quirks or "do it this way" to get a good fletching job. For the Jo-Jans and short vanes I use a matching vane in the far end of clamp so get a good seat of the vane being glued.

rjd
12-10-2010, 09:29 PM
A Grayling form Cabelas, here too. Grayling straight & right helical clamps. Does everything we need. Got it cause I was tired of driving 34 mile twice to get arrows fixed. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Rangerj
12-11-2010, 05:32 AM
Arozona EZ Fletch and a JO JAN Single.

Spiker
12-11-2010, 06:04 AM
A Bitz and a Jo-Jan multi.
Also have a couple Arizona E-Z's but dont use them much. They are nice to take along on trips.

tommyhydro
12-11-2010, 07:35 AM
i have an arizona EZ, but i switched to the helix, i really have seen a difference with the helical in my hunting arrows

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2010, 07:54 AM
I think I might try the bohning tower.

It has very good reviews. I like the simpleness about it.

ElkSlayer
12-11-2010, 11:25 AM
if anything I will just add to the grayling or get a Jo-Jan multi.

bfisher
12-11-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm still using the Bitz I bought back in 1976. They haven't changed appreciably, last forever, and still do the job. Guess that's why people consider them the best of the best. I have both RH and LH clamps and switch according to whether I get LH or RH feathers on sale.

I tend to favor black feathers (not vanes) as nobody else uses them so I get some good deals on them. Last batch I bought was a 100 pack of 4" Trueflights for $2.00. That's right, $2

justin
12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
lol 2 bucks is insane. i got 2 100 packs of blazers for 17 bucks though and didnt think that was too bad. im using arazona ez flech, with full right helical. im pondering running no helical at all though. what are the benifets??? and the benifets of hard helical???

Arrow Splitter
12-11-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm still using the Bitz I bought back in 1976.

Wow! That was a LONG time ago!:eek: I wasn't even born yet!!:eek:LOL:D:D

SonnyThomas
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I think I might try the bohning tower.

It has very good reviews. I like the simpleness about it.

I think the new Towers are 3 degrees. I heard they were making a jig for short vanes that would be 16 degrees of helical. Standard helical, I believe, it 13 degrees over a 5" distance.
Get the clamp arm extentions. These place the vane the same distance from the nock as factories do. Hint; That silver foil that comes with Tower won't last forever, but a roll of scotch tape will go a long, long ways. I used scotch tape when I set up the Tower we have just in case I messed up. Hey, it works.

ezbite
12-14-2010, 01:51 PM
i started with a martin fletching jig and then my buddy wouldnt stop talking about his E-Z fletch. i bought one and love it. i even broke one of the arms off somehow. called the company and they said send it in and if they cant fix it, theyll replace it and they did.

border
12-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Tried a Grayling...worked fine. E-Z Fletch...worked fine. Had a Bitz...didn't like it very much...a little sloppy and I didn't think spending another $35 or so was the answer...Sold them all...Then I got a Bearpaw jig from Lancaster for about $50...Does my 3-vanes (cock-vane out), straight w/about 3 off-set perfectly (Blazers/Predators/Fuzion). Will do longer vanes and you can get a helical clamp I think. Does 4 or 6-vanes with the flip of a switch...Comes w/an arrow rest for narrow or fat arrows. Very modular...German made from an old archery company. I think it's the best single-vane fletcher I've used yet. Spacing is good, everything is tight. Thinking of getting one or two more.