PDA

View Full Version : What are your techniques for quieting your bow?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Just wondering what you guys are using or doing to quiet your bows.
Lets hear what the Martin boys do. :D

Stéphane
12-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I'll be using an STS, so I'll keep a close eye on that thread.

Simple Life
12-11-2010, 04:14 PM
STS is a main factor as long as it is set up right,good old Cat Whiskers in my opinion are far better than leaches.I like to put limb savers on too,and think they help.I take my quiver off in my stand,I think that it tends to have a very small amount of noise.

Stéphane
12-11-2010, 04:47 PM
STS is a main factor as long as it is set up right,good old Cat Whiskers in my opinion are far better than leaches.I like to put limb savers on too,and think they help.I take my quiver off in my stand,I think that it tends to have a very small amount of noise.

Then would you be removing the "leaches" that came with the bow after installing the sts? And would removing the leaches increase the speed as well?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Speed vs quiet.
With the sts and the leeches the bow will be quiet. With out the leeches little more speed fps, sacrifices quietness. Just preference.

SonnyThomas
12-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Basically, nothing. I have the bolt on Limb Savers on the limbs and that's it. No cat whiskers, no leaches. Killed 32 deer in 10 years as is. Yep, bow is that old. I'm sort of; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RobD
12-11-2010, 05:19 PM
STS + Bow jaxs on limbs + Cat whisker

justin
12-11-2010, 05:21 PM
well the way i figure it is if a deer is going to jump the string its going to jump it even if its quiet. a lil bit of speed will help get the arrow there quicker.... on my cheetah i have limbsavers, leeches, string stop, .......its really quiet.

i cant remember if that stuff was on there when i shot my buck this year. i dont think it was.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2010, 05:33 PM
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1420&stc=1&d=1292120988

So far I can't beat sts and whiskers!
Just wondering if anyone had any better suggestions.
Hutch

ElkSlayer
12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I use cat wiskers tied like yours hutch thou not as round :o Im working on getting them served tighter ( pretty rough on just fingers) I have one on each bus /2 on my string (single cam bow) and the cougarIII has a leach in each & 2 cat wiskers on string. limb savers on both rigs. undesided on what to use on the recurve..most likely some home made puffs of some sort :cool:

alex
12-12-2010, 03:10 AM
undesided on what to use on the recurve..most likely some home made puffs of some sort :cool:

You can easily make some woollen silencers - they work great for me. My recurve accepts a stabilizer (homemade one) and with it and with the puffs i can say that the bow is almost soundless. Not that i need it, but this way it is much cooler :D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I use cat wiskers tied like yours hutch thou not as round :o Im working on getting them served tighter ( pretty rough on just fingers) I have one on each bus /2 on my string (single cam bow) and the cougarIII has a leach in each & 2 cat wiskers on string. limb savers on both rigs. undesided on what to use on the recurve..most likely some home made puffs of some sort :cool:

Heres a sight that shows you a great method. And it uses a constrictor knot.
http://www.nbjf.net/pdf/Lage%20strengdempere.pdf

Spiker
12-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Alien String Silencers:
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=252
...sorry - couldn't resist...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Spiker you've got too much time on your hands lol. Thats funny!
Hutch:D

Ehunter
12-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I have to wonder just how far that thing will fly if you shoot the bow. lol

ElkSlayer
12-12-2010, 11:10 AM
yep alex thats the plan..it not loud to start with ... unless I do some thing dumb...lol

Thanks for the link hutch..that should help keep it tight. had to laugh i use clothes pins too :D

now spiker that almost made me spit coffee all over my laptop ..how do the work for you ;) can you get them in red or mt berry..lmao bet they just come in green huh :D

justin
12-12-2010, 11:13 AM
those are the stock silencers on aliens, although i got mine in the black.....

ElkSlayer
12-12-2010, 11:29 AM
oh you mean i have to buy a new bow to get some:D oh darn "hey honey, I know what i want now"..:D

copterdoc
12-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I use the same configuration my Bullet-X came with when I bought it.

Limbsavers on the limbs, and Super Leeches on the string.

I tried an STS, but I didn't like what I saw on the chrono. So, I pulled the Leeches, and got some speed back, but it still wasn't as fast as it was without the STS.

So, I played around with it for a few days, and finally decided that the Leeches worked well enough at dampening the string twang, that the STS wasn't important enough to warrant a speed loss of almost 10 F.P.S.

Since then, I have discovered that any string stop, including the Mathews limb mounted ones, negate any speed increase from Leeches or speed nocks.

If you must have an STS, you are better off removing the speed nocks, Leeches, or whiskers.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2010, 03:37 PM
copterdoc, how long do the string leeches last you. I know on my old martin altitude they wouldn't make it 3 months.

copterdoc
12-12-2010, 04:20 PM
copterdoc, how long do the string leeches last you. I know on my old martin altitude they wouldn't make it 3 months.

The S shaped ones are garbage. Along with a lot of Sim's products.

You need to find the crossbow style, or Super Leech (they are both the same thing, with a different name).

Those, will outlast your string. I STILL am using the set that came on my first Bullet-X, that I bought in 2006.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM
The S shaped ones are garbage. Along with a lot of Sim's products.

You need to find the crossbow style, or Super Leech (they are both the same thing, with a different name).

Those, will outlast your string. I STILL am using the set that came on my first Bullet-X, that I bought in 2006.

The x factor ones that came with the bow seem to me to be holding out and working. But I will keep those in mind when I get the urge to change them.
Thanks Hutch

SonnyThomas
12-12-2010, 04:50 PM
One thing I know about string leaches or jacks, they sure go in a hurry. The string pressure just cuts them in half. For cat whiskers I use them tiny draw tags things and snip off the excess.

alex
12-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Alien String Silencers:
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=252
...sorry - couldn't resist...

:D :D :D Am i seeing a Lego fan?

RLW
12-13-2010, 05:56 AM
.........good old Cat Whiskers in my opinion are far better than leaches.I like to put limb savers on too,and think they help.......

That's how my bows are equipped. Also have mini limb savers on my old Firecats, Martin quiver, and have STS on my Bengal.
I tried string leaches, but like so many others, found the life to be short, cutting in half as mentioned. Went right back to cat whiskers......and FYI, my tests shown 2 fps drop with whiskers on two different bows.

I also prefer arrow weights in the 6.2 - 6.5grs/in range. Seems to be a good comprimise between speed and noise.
Bows just shoot quieter with heavier arrows than they do with minimum weight arrows

Simple Life
12-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Do you guys use the full cat whisker or cut them in half?I use the full but next one will be cut in half.

RLW
12-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Do you guys use the full cat whisker or cut them in half?I use the full but next one will be cut in half.
Half......and do it similar to the way I saw it done on this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6WNxTLPJW0&feature=related

Arrow Splitter
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
:D :D :D Am i seeing a Lego fan?

I think you probably are. LOL:D

Spiker
12-14-2010, 04:51 AM
My son is the Lego fan.
I'm just a fan of all things strange and different... :D:rolleyes:

Arrow Splitter
12-14-2010, 01:29 PM