PDA

View Full Version : Deerless!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Been in the woods in the past years. Never saw a deer, except the one I shot. Been in the woods this year saw more deer than I have seen in 10 years, and haven't been able to shoot. Whats up with that!!! :(
I only have one more day that I can get out. Hopefully I will not see another deer except the one I shoot! :rolleyes:

ElkSlayer
12-11-2010, 07:09 PM
thats a tuff year.... I know what your saying too This year was the 1st of many that we did not take something in gun season..did not even see a buck to think of not shootin ( sons 1st year he wanted 3pt or better) untell the end of the season then he was begging to see a forkey..no luck till elk season and he found him self face to face with a very nice muture Black Tail gave him a nice long look to..add that to the cougar he saw in early bow season and he's doing great on the seeing just not the shooting.... I was able to get on a few doe's this afternoon out behind our place.. Sorry but i let um walk I want that buck they got sniffing around..be back at in the am..so with luck if not that one doe best hide better on the last day:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Last day of deer season and me and my son are deerless!:o Maybe next year. We never gave up even to the end!
Hutch

SonnyThomas
12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Not deerless....yet. End of season runs to mid January. Was out this evening for little over a hour, but just to see if anything was moving. And they were. Maybe a hour before I got in the timber deer had moved through. So I took a short set in the upper deer stand and not 5 minutes went by before a fair size buck loped across the bean field west of me. So I got down and headed to the north deer stand. Deer tracks all over the place! So I stood by the tree my stand is in. 10 minutes maybe and here comes this whopper buck on the run. Dang! Within distance and he's hauling the mail. So I head for the creek bottom. More deer tracks. Up from the bottom to the mowed trail and more tracks.
I will be in one tree stand or another come morning....

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Must be nice to Hunt all the way into January. But I guess I can't complain ours went to Dec. 15.

Arrow Splitter
12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Must be nice to Hunt all the way into January. But I guess I can't complain ours went to Dec. 15.

And started Sept. 15.

SonnyThomas
12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
Our's, in Illinois, starts Oct 1 and runs to Jan 16. For those who can hunt the late firearms season you have to wear blaze orange.

Simple Life
12-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Our season ended a month ago,seen nothing but Does.Always next year:o

SonnyThomas
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Our season ended a month ago,seen nothing but Does.Always next year:o

My old friend's son had a place over run with does. The first year they took 16 and the second year they took 15. The third year Robbie final connected on a descent buck, but after he had taken another 5 does. My old friend passed away two years ago, but talking with Robbie, he says the does still need thinned out.

Simple Life
12-17-2010, 05:24 PM
My old friend's son had a place over run with does. The first year they took 16 and the second year they took 15. The third year Robbie final connected on a descent buck, but after he had taken another 5 does. My old friend passed away two years ago, but talking with Robbie, he says the does still need thinned out.

Around here we are over-run with them in certain places,but the DNR have a draw system for doe tags,might as well buy a lottery ticket-my chances might be better:rolleyes:I think our season ends too early-second week of November,just when the bucks are really moving.

alex
12-18-2010, 12:45 AM

:eek: 36 does for 3 years! This looks like industrial hunting to me. What's the population there that it's allowed to kill so many?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-18-2010, 04:33 AM
My son and I are going out to pick up the blind and tree-stand today. I suppose we could start shoot coyotes to say we shot something this year, and maybe that would make us feel better. :rolleyes:
Hutch

Stéphane
12-18-2010, 05:43 AM
In BC, we're pretty lucky too. Region 8 will close on Monday (both sex) and there are a couple of islands that are open until xmas and the other until mid-Junuary. Bow Only, both sex up to 3 deer.

I'm brand new to archery and first time deer hunting next Monday. White tail only where I'm going. On the islands I was mentioning, black tail is the game.

ElkSlayer
12-18-2010, 02:46 PM
they can run but hide even better...lol no black tail bucks fell to my bow this year nor to the wifes gun or sons... was lucky enough to fill a doe tag.. sadly our seasons closed now too still got bear to the 31st along with cougar soon as we re- tag up after 1st of the year its going to on for them cats and any yote thats willin to show it self...got to get some trigger time for the youngster:D

Simple Life
12-19-2010, 04:57 AM
they can run but hide even better...lol no black tail bucks fell to my bow this year nor to the wifes gun or sons... was lucky enough to fill a doe tag.. sadly our seasons closed now too still got bear to the 31st along with cougar soon as we re- tag up after 1st of the year its going to on for them cats and any yote thats willin to show it self...got to get some trigger time for the youngster:D

Cougar..with bow or gun?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Knowing Elkslayer he will jump on it and rip it apart with his teeth!:D:D:D
He doesn't need a gun or a bow.:D

ElkSlayer
12-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Knowing Elkslayer he will jump on it and rip it apart with his teeth! He doesn't need a gun or a bow.:D

I realy would if i had too

I did know some guys that hunted pigs with knifes... was way younger then still was smart enough not to try that thou..
I will shoot at a cat with what ever i hapen to have...Gladly ;) I am a big man and they fear me.. Sure hope i do not look like a easy meal .. .357 on my hip .. tips things even more to my side:D
I did have bow in hand this past september when my son spoted a cat just above our camp..lucky cat was fast enough that the son did not get the 25.06 onit..( bear hunting). I never got to see it Im just the one that heard it. hate to think it was headed for the boy 50yrd down below me..would have had to cross a road and MY path.. as hutch jokingly said it.. Any Dad would..:cool: mom ,brother,sister & friend for that matter
They dont run dogs on them any more so cats are doing well. Tags are plentiful and cheep... Our law officers will say shoot on sight then tag it..

Spiker
12-20-2010, 04:49 AM
I realy would if i had too

I did know some guys that hunted pigs with knifes... was way younger then still was smart enough not to try that thou..
I will shoot at a cat with what ever i hapen to have...Gladly ;) I am a big man and they fear me.. Sure hope i do not look like a easy meal .. .357 on my hip .. tips things even more to my side:D
I did have bow in hand this past september when my son spoted a cat just above our camp..lucky cat was fast enough that the son did not get the 25.06 onit..( bear hunting). I never got to see it Im just the one that heard it. hate to think it was headed for the boy 50yrd down below me..would have had to cross a road and MY path.. as hutch jokingly said it.. Any Dad would..:cool: mom ,brother,sister & friend for that matter
They dont run dogs on them any more so cats are doing well. Tags are plentiful and cheep... Our law officers will say shoot on sight then tag it..

I so gotta move out there...

ElkSlayer
12-20-2010, 05:38 PM
better hurry.. befor the Ofw makes more changes..new this year is the draw cow hunt in the late archery season:eek:
just found this out today when i picked up new reg's
darn now its just end of aug- sept thankfuly they did not change deer season that archery season stays aug -sept then again mid nov - mid dec;) just hate losing that 3 week cow hunt on my genral tag ( one elk/ bull , cow early season- then cow only for late) well it was anyway...:(

Ehunter
12-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Our archery season here in KS runs from Sept. 20th through Dec. 31st. Gun season is Dec.1-13 I believe. Gotta wear orange to bow hunt during rifle season. That long of a season, and not many guys are tagging out on decent bucks. I think it's just a stange year for bucks this year. The doe harvest is as good as ever, I think bow hunters can take 4 does a year, but bucks are either more elusive, or fewer this year. I saw more bucks than usual, but all of them were little forks, or 6 points. Brother and dad rifle hunting only saw one possible shooter buck. Neither harvested a buck. Let's all hope next year is better. lol

Spiker
12-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Mid Aug to mid Sept here.
One Elk a year.
One Deer a year.
And ALL Deer tags are by application.

ElkSlayer
12-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh my.. thats no fun
We can bow hunt..
elk / deer OTC or draw
bow season is the whole state and only some western units in the late season.. well deer only next year.
Rifle season is OTC for western part only..earstern (mulies) part is all draw.
most our tags can be had OTC. and if a guy draws the doe tag thats an extra deer..and please please come get you a cougar tag.. elk are on the decline thats why the changes... time to bust out the dogs again:D

Simple Life
12-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Here

Moose Season 3 days by draw-end of Sept.
Deer season-bow 2nd week Oct till Mid Nov
-gun last week Oct-Mid Nov.

Thats it:(

ElkSlayer
12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
ouch... you get a week with out the rifle hunters :confused:

Simple Life
12-21-2010, 01:21 PM
ouch... you get a week with out the rifle hunters :confused:

2 weeks 2nd and 3thrd,then all H#$% breaks loose.:(

ElkSlayer
12-21-2010, 01:26 PM
still ouch man thats a great time to have the season but dang give a bow hunter a break ..so that when most guys plan the ole time off then.. heck we have weak break from bow - gun then another befor late bow & muzleloader hunts..

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Go figure guys, as soon as deer hunting is over we moved our trail cam, and found deer in our backyard.:mad:
Hutch

ElkSlayer
12-21-2010, 01:43 PM
and your admitin it :D some times they are right under your uhhh...stand:D well you know where to look next time.

Simple Life
12-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Go figure guys, as soon as deer hunting is over we moved our trail cam, and found deer in our backyard.:mad:
Hutch

Funny how that works.Shot my biggest buck right out behind my garage last year.It was nice hauled it home and cleaned it-everything I needed was right there
in the garage:)

Simple Life
12-21-2010, 01:51 PM
still ouch man thats a great time to have the season but dang give a bow hunter a break ..so that when most guys plan the ole time off then.. heck we have weak break from bow - gun then another befor late bow & muzleloader hunts..

That is a good deal there.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Funny how that works.Shot my biggest buck right out behind my garage last year.It was nice hauled it home and cleaned it-everything I needed was right there
in the garage:)

Can I visit during deer hunting!;)

Simple Life
12-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Can I visit during deer hunting!;)

No problem.Was a bad year back there this year ,7 different bears on my camera-kinda kept the deer away.:(

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
No problem.Was a bad year back there this year ,7 different bears on my camera-kinda kept the deer away.:(

Time for bear removal service!:D

ElkSlayer
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I like it ....you all want to here another great thing oregon did last year..
read this aloud then...lol

my sports pac $165
(Hunt/fish lic..elk,deer,bear, cougar, spring turkey, upland birds ,water foul & combo anglers harvest tags )

they offerd the same to youth hunters for...$55.

yep can you beat that. we paid a doller less for my wife to deer hunt only.

ElkSlayer
12-21-2010, 02:46 PM
bears Iam up for some bear shooting :D May I offer my services sir

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-21-2010, 02:54 PM

I would highly recommend ElkSlayer.:D

Simple Life
12-22-2010, 12:59 PM

You know [I] would love to take a bear by bow,but no one in the family would eat it-could always pass it as moose meat:rolleyes:

ElkSlayer
12-22-2010, 06:33 PM
just put it in stew...lol they will never know:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Sounds tasty!:D:D:D

Simple Life
12-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Sounds tasty!:D:D:D

I don't know if I could even try it:rolleyes:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Cooked right and season right it tastes like chicken!:rolleyes: Well maybe not.:D