PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Vs. Aluminum arrows?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Just wondering what my martin family shoots and why?

Simple Life
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Carbon,no worry about getting bent,more companies to choose arrows through.

Stéphane
12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
My old bow is set up with aluminum, but my Bengal is carbonated.

Ehunter
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Shot aluminum for years, then switched to carbon about 6 years ago. Just a far more durable arrow in my opinion. The arrows I'm shooting now are a micro-diameter. Not available in aluminum that I've ever found.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-13-2010, 03:36 PM
ttt :D:D:D:D

Arrow Splitter
12-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Carbon!! Yahooo!!!:D:D

bfisher
12-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I voted carbon because that's what I shoot most of the time, but there is another option. How about "BOTH", as in ACC's which I still fall back to once in a while.

SonnyThomas
12-13-2010, 08:47 PM
It's just so darn hard to beat carbons. I bought a dozen CX 300s 10 years ago and still have two left. Bought a bunch of CX 300s on sale when the new CX Maximas took over (I don't care for them - CX just made them heavier, not better). I've used CXLs for several years now and can't fault them. The CXL 150s are pretty fragile though. I've tried some 2512 Kobalts and think they're pretty dang good and the price is dang good. Might use them for indoors (I understand they are being fazed out). I used XX78 2312 Super Lights for a while they flew great, Might give them another try. And I've used XX78 2413s that flew great and hit hard for 500 grs.

Montalaar
12-13-2010, 08:55 PM
I voted carbon because that's what I shoot most of the time, but there is another option. How about "BOTH", as in ACC's which I still fall back to once in a while.

Fell back. There are no more ACC's. :P

alex
12-14-2010, 02:57 AM
I'm with Barry, there should be "both" option. I use carbon arrows with my MOAB and alluminium ones for all my other bows. I've tried carbon arrows with my trad bows and although they are marked for heavy bows they are so noisy and add so vibration to the bow (also don't work at all with my horsebow) that i gave up and will stick to the good old Al ones. Not to mention that the Al arrows that i use are 3 times cheaper then the carbon arrows :D

Spiker
12-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Carbon is my vote. I like to stump shoot and hunt small critters and the carbons last longer.
I do still have a lot of 2213's tho and shoot them out of my old compounds just because thats what they were tuned with and now I only shoot them at the targets.

bfisher
12-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Fell back. There are no more ACC's. :P

No Simon. I did mean FALL back. I still have 8 of the original 3-18 shafts I bought fourteen years ago. Along the way I picked up fourteen 3-28 shafts free from the sales rep I shot for back then. I believe I still have about 10 of them. Granted I don't shoot them all the time, but when I have trouble getting an all carbon arrow to tune well I pull out those little carbon/aluminum shafts. They just seem to have less spine deviation than any all carbon shaft I've used over the last ten years or so and always group better.

I do have to laugh once in a while about some guys saying how much the ACC cost and that they wouldn't buy them because of the cost. Now a lot of these same guys are shooting all carbon arrows that are equal or greater in price, and in my opinion still not up to the quality of the ACC's.

Montalaar
12-14-2010, 06:34 AM
Damn. I knew you would write that. But i really wanted to know at least ONE thing better than you. :P

But yes, it is true. A Carbon shaft will always have a higher spine deviation than any a/c or alloy shaft. That is produced by the way the arrows are made.

I agree with you, Barry. I would still shoot ACC - or ACG as they are now called. I just found out that GT arrows are good enough for me and are even waaaaaay less expensive here. :)

Spiker
12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
ACC were the best arrows I've ever shot by far, but these days I dont shoot well enough (maybe often enough) to be able to tell the difference.
Victory and GT are consistant enough for my ability and are affordable enough to keep a good stock of them.

Simple Life
12-14-2010, 12:58 PM
I shoot the GT Expedition Hunters and they are are a decent arrow and price.
I don't shoot comp,just hunting and practice and they fit the bill.I have 2 dozen Easton aluminums that have not been touched for 2 years.

gibson 787
12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I shoot carbons from my compounds and XX78s from my recurves. I find aluminiums much quieter and those XX78s are plenty tough let me tell ya.

bfisher
12-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Simon,

Check Easton's website under target arrows. ACC's are still there and in all the original sizes. Most times these days I am shooting Gold Tips, too. They're a decent arrow if you get the upper end models.

The reason I shoot them is because the sales rep I shoot for had me signed up on GT's advisory staff a few years ago and I got two dozen of my choice free every year. I always shot the Ultralite shafts and Tim Gillingham would only send me Pro series shafts.

The last couple years I wasn't with GT so had to buy my arrows (no more freebies) and I needed lighter spine but wasn't quite sure what spine. Charts say something around .660 to .690. Closest thing GT had was the .600. So not to spend a lot of money I chose the Entrada 600. I can tell you for sure that spine deviation on these was just terrible, varying as much as .015" around the shaft on my spine tester. It's hard to tell if the spine is right when it varies this much. I ended up getting a dozen Ultralite Pro 600 and find these much better, BUT---as I alluded to above, at a cost near that of ACC shafts.

Right now I just dug my GT 22 Pro's out from under the dust pile to shoot indoor spots this winter. Now how would you think a .300 shaft 27" long would shoot out of a 42# compound? Surprisingly they do very well. They don't tune worth a darn, but they do group for me.

On another note just for information, it wasn't all that long ago Gold Tip arrows were made by a company that now makes VICTORY arrows. I believe Victory started selling their own brand after GT moved manufacturing to Mexico. They've done well.

OK, I gotta quit. I'm rambling again.

RobD
12-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I shoot carbon. Cause there a lot more durable. And a theres a lot more choices.

NeilM
12-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I shoot carbon. Light, fast and consistently accurate.

What more do I need? :D

Montalaar
12-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Simon,

Check Easton's website under target arrows. ACC's are still there and in all the original sizes. Most times these days I am shooting Gold Tips, too. They're a decent arrow if you get the upper end models.

That might be right, but no distributor in europe sells them any longer. And that is since some months. Everything got changed to ACG around 10 weeks ago so you canno order them any longer here in europe.

I agree with Victory and GoldTip as i have heard that already before.

RLW
12-16-2010, 07:31 AM
I didn't like carbon at all in the early years, but as of about 10yrs ago I'm all carbon now (mostly Beman ICSH w/a few PSE Carbon Force).

What finally made me switch was the durability out in the field. Got tired of my 2413 XX78 blowing up on me with compound bows in all but the softest ground when shooting grouse at 4-5yds for hunting camp dinner. 2315 held up better for me, but also heavier (though quieter too).

Probably the main reason I stick with carbon today, is I seem to have an easier time finding the combination of weight-speed-arrow balance I want.

The down side to carbon, is I can't recycle them in the rare case I do break one like I could with aluminum.

If I were ever to go back to a traditional recurve, my choice would most likely be aluminum as I think they flex better or are more forgiving off the shelf or w/shoot around rests.

ElkSlayer
12-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I had arrows still,so no need to change. Kept shooting the 2315's. mostly just backyard /woodland shooting to get ready for hunting season..Then I got a new B day gift and now needed arrows. Best arrow deal at the time was some Gt vapors... should have know when i placed my order and it was back orderd 8weeks to add to the qty..:o joined a club the same year so its feild rds an the like.. new carbons finily show up & you know it.. they are great! take the new rig & arrows to the range an within the afternoon its good to 80+ this included time in press to set timing, paper tune an all.. could not be happer..well yea could have nock collers /uni bushings. need to look into getting me some .was able to get a 2nd doz for a differt bow latter in the year ..and now they dont sell them under that name itsa new name and another 10bucks or so....someone has to have a stash of them uncut somewhere???????

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Then I got a new B day gift and now needed arrows. Best arrow deal at the time was some Gt vapors...

Gt vapors are excellent arrows, Arrow Splitter uses them.
Hutch

bowgramp59
12-19-2010, 11:01 AM
you sideswipe something with a aluminum arrow it's gone , you might salvage the carbon.

elkslayer4x5
12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
you sideswipe something with a aluminum arrow it's gone , you might salvage the carbon.

I guess it all depends upon what it is that you sideswipe, here in the Pacific Northwest, we have a lot of wild rhododendrons and huckleberrys. Either one will, when sideswiped, change the direction of flight, sometimes so abruptly that the shaft snaps. When I built my field range out back, had to put plywood in front of any of those two locals, broke at least 8 out of 10 shot into to them. :cool: Oh yeah, carbon, aluminum does'nt stand a chance with those two plants.

SonnyThomas
12-25-2010, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=RLW;35191]The down side to carbon, is I can't recycle them in the rare case I do break one like I could with aluminum.QUOTE]

I guess it's how the carbon is broken. Cracked arrows, say 1 inch or so on either end, I cut short and re-install a nock and refletch or install a new insert and all done and checked I throw them in the bucket for kids. And then I make pens out of some. Inexpensive pens are that, inexpensive. I use electrical tape or scotch tape to build up the head of the pen to press into the arrow shaft.

This one has a Athens wrap and Fusion shield cut vanes.

Arrow Splitter
12-25-2010, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=RLW;35191]The down side to carbon, is I can't recycle them in the rare case I do break one like I could with aluminum.QUOTE]

I guess it's how the carbon is broken. Cracked arrows, say 1 inch or so on either end, I cut short and re-install a nock and refletch or install a new insert and all done and checked I throw them in the bucket for kids. And then I make pens out of some. Inexpensive pens are that, inexpensive. I use electrical tape or scotch tape to build up the head of the pen to press into the arrow shaft.

This one has a Athens wrap and Fusion shield cut vanes.

That's cool!:cool:

alex
12-26-2010, 03:22 AM
I want one of these pens :)

Spiker
12-26-2010, 08:44 AM
When my wife and I got married back in '94 we used an arrow pen I built for the guests to sign our book.
Still have it with our wedding junk - plus a few more I'd made back then...:)

alex
12-26-2010, 09:36 AM
So it was an archery style wedding? Cool. :)

bfisher
12-26-2010, 09:42 AM
When my wife and I got married back in '94 we used an arrow pen I built for the guests to sign our book.
Still have it with our wedding junk - plus a few more I'd made back then...:)

So is that when you stopped "dear" hunting and took up "deer" hunting?

Spiker
12-27-2010, 05:49 AM
So is that when you stopped "dear" hunting and took up "deer" hunting?

:D Well I was both Dear and Deer hunting before then but after that I did have to stop Fox hunting down at Crooked Creek (a local bar). :eek:

ElkSlayer
12-27-2010, 06:19 AM
:D Well I was both Dear and Deer hunting before then but after that I did have to stop Fox hunting down at Crooked Creek (a local bar). :eek:

there ya go spiker ...lol ;) best to stay away of old stompin grounds once you have taken the trophy "Fox" :D

ElkSlayer
12-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Oh yeah, carbon, aluminum does'nt stand a chance with those two plants.

:eek: not like it matters.. only way you can find an arrow in that stuff is When it dose get broken...:( stuffs so thick takes a chain saw & fire to remove it till next spring.

bfisher
12-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Getting back to the original subject, I can think of one good reason to shoot aluminum. Have any of you guys ever tried to pull a carbon arrow from a McKenzie target? Probably the answer is yes. Now, have you ever tried to pull a carbon arrow from a McKenzie target when it's about 20 degrees Farenheit? This is where aluminum really really shines.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-27-2010, 09:21 AM
Getting back to the original subject, I can think of one good reason to shoot aluminum. Have any of you guys ever tried to pull a carbon arrow from a McKenzie target? Probably the answer is yes. Now, have you ever tried to pull a carbon arrow from a McKenzie target when it's about 20 degrees Farenheit? This is where aluminum really really shines.

Good point!

SonnyThomas
12-27-2010, 11:15 AM

You've been over to some of the clubs I shoot at. This one club bought bunches of McKenzie centers way back. Yeah, the old foam material. Come early spring you need 3 to 4 in a group. Not to have fun, but two to hold the target and two to pull the arrow.

ElkSlayer
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
that is a good point..they sure do pull easy.. carbon is even hard to pull from the cedar chip butts my club uses...forced me to buy a arrow grip tool... but with the carbon being lighter.. I over looked this fact when I got the vapors for the target bow...good thing i already had that puller:o

A myth.. years ago I was worried about carbon splinters getting into game meat...
any one ever see it /have it happen.. its always a friend of a friends girlfrends brothers buddy.

A few years ago.. I sadly shot high and put one threw the spine. that deer was flat knocked over my alum 2315 was dented and sligtly bent...not sure a carbon would have come out intact..gladly all back strap was saved.

Ehunter
12-27-2010, 05:18 PM
I still shoot into a couple McKenzie targets I have from time to time. I've found a half quart of motor oil poured over the side of them really improves arrow pull. And it lasts for months. Works better than arrow lube. Finally thought of trying that after bending several aluminum, and breaking several carbon arrows trying to get them out. I can live with my deer or bear target having a dark stain on it. lol