PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Pantera

bowhunterJB
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
I have a 2010 pantera and have had two sets of limbs crack on me. Anyone have any idea why these are cracking? They've cracked in the same spot both times.

bowhunterJB
12-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Anyone got anything on these limbs cracking? I could really use some help with this problem.

alex
12-17-2010, 01:09 AM
What arrows do you use and is the bow set for speed? You should call Martin and they'll fix the problem, may be.

bfisher
12-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Are you sure it's a 2010? I know Martin had problems with 2009 limbs, but haven't gotten much feedback about the 2010 limbs. Two ways you can tell about the year. First two numbers of the serial number indicate the year of manufacture. Also the 2009 limbs were 1 7/8" wide whereas 2010 limbs are 1 1/2" wide.

Also, give us some specs on your setup. Bow weight, draw length, arrow you are using (weight), etc.

bowhunterJB
12-18-2010, 07:58 PM
After checking the serial number it is an 09 I was told by cabelas that it was a 2010. I am shooting 70lbs at 30in draw and I'm shooting cabelas Stalker Extreme carbon arrows with a shaft size of 50/70 lbs rating. They weigh 397 grains. I have taken this bow back twice to cabelas they have replaced it both times, but I'm getting sick of having to take the bow back. My archery season doesnt end until Feb. 3rd and I really need my bow to get my buck. Thank you for telling me that I actually have a 09 bow rather than a 2010, I think I might say something to cabelas about that.

bowhunterJB
12-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Just a little more about this bow. The limbs keep cracking right in the cam pocket. Do you think this is safe to shoot?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-19-2010, 01:13 AM
The limbs keep cracking right in the cam pocket. Do you think this is safe to shoot?

No! I have had a bow explode, and it is not a fun thing. I would bring it back and exchange it.
Hutch

bfisher
12-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't go shooting it either with a split limb. Here is just some of what has been going on, just to let you know. Martin apparently did have limb problems on the 2009 model of bows. The limbs were redesigned for 2010 along with the Rot-cup limb pockets. In several cases that I'm aware of Martin has changed the Roto cups, limbs, cams and strings for those that had problems with the limbs. This is something you can discuss with your dealer (Cabelas). They'll have to take the issue up with Martin Warranty service.

As I mentioned above, there is a difference between 2009 and 2010 limbs. The 2010 limbs are approx 3/8" narrower so need the newer Roto cups. Also, the 2009 cams are not compatable with the 2010 limbs.

If Martin decides to upgrade your bow with 2010 parts they should supply your dealer with all the necessary parts. For 2011 the limbs have been redesigned again and are supposed to be better than the 2010 so they may even send 2011 limbs. This is just speculation on my part, but is possible.

Sorry you're having this problem. I know it can be frustrating, but this is the best information I can give you at this time.

Ehunter
12-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Barry, I thought the cams were the same in '09 and '10, but with the new limbs being narrower, you had to replace the axle. Narrower limb, shorter axle.

bfisher
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Barry, I thought the cams were the same in '09 and '10, but with the new limbs being narrower, you had to replace the axle. Narrower limb, shorter axle.

No, the cams are different. Don't know if you saw my posts earlier about this, but I split a limb on my 2008 FireCat last December and Joel sent me the 2010 limbs. Anyway, I found that the take-up groove in my older cams were straight whereas the 2010 cams had a spiral to the groove. When I assembled my bow with the earlier cam and 2010 limbs the cam lean at full draw was terrible. That's when I called and was told I needed the new cam, which they did send me. And so far as I know the 2009 cam was the same as the 2008.

Try a search and you'll find pictures I rpovided in the posts about my updated 2008 FireCat. This kind of precipitated some discussions from other guys and a couple getting their bows updated after experiencing the same limb problems.

copterdoc
12-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Limb problems are a taboo subject, but I will say this much. I have never had a set of Martin limbs crack, that were 14" or longer.

I have had 13" limbs crack, and it was always at the bottom of the limb fork.

bfisher
12-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Limb problems are a taboo subject, but I will say this much. I have never had a set of Martin limbs crack, that were 14" or longer.

I have had 13" limbs crack, and it was always at the bottom of the limb fork.

Same here, although It's only been one limb...and as you stated, right at the bottom of the limb fork. I could also be wrong on this, but I'm quite certain that the major cause is the limbs being twisted (cam lean) as the bow is drawn and then shot. The shorter the bow the more severe the twist becomes. And of course, the longer the draw and higher the draw weight the more stress is on the limbs.

To tell the truth I would hate to be someone trying to engineer these bows today, trying to squeeze out every last fps of speed with these short bows and still get some duration. People have become accustomed to getting more performance out of bows than they are capable of sustaining with the limb technology as we know it.

Bows have come a long way from the 70's, but to be honest they are not as much fun to shoot as they once were. We are just too caught up in technology instead of just having fun with our expensive toys.

bowhunterJB
12-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Alright thank you everyone, I'm gonna send them back to martin and we'll see what go's on from there.

Arrow Splitter
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Let us know what happens.:)

Belak
01-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I have had the same experience..

2010 Pantera, 10 days old, shooting at an indoor range.. snapped the bottom limb. It has now been two weeks waiting for replacement limbs.

It exploded (snapped the string, limb and folded the carbon arrow in thirds right in my face.

Shooting lefty.. 31" draw, 70#

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I have had the same experience..

2010 Pantera, 10 days old, shooting at an indoor range.. snapped the bottom limb. It has now been two weeks waiting for replacement limbs.

It exploded (snapped the string, limb and folded the carbon arrow in thirds right in my face.

Shooting lefty.. 31" draw, 70#

That didn't look like fun at all. Hopefully you are alright.

Hutch

archerx7
01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Martin had the Pantera in 07, then dropped it from the line untill 2010 when they redesigned it, didn't have an 09 model. The limbs in the pic above with the red lamination were the updated limbs for 2010. I sold about 10 Panteras last year and did have one that came back when the bottom limb delaminated, not quite as bad as the one above though, but that customer was also a 31" DL. I replaced his limbs and he hasn't had a problem since.