PDA

View Full Version : cougar magnum issue

wshurick
12-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey all,
I'm pretty much new to the sport and purchased a used bow to start off with. I was looking to use a bow for hunting and for an occasional archery league shoot. I purchase a 199?-2002 ? cougar magnum and set it up to my liking at a local martin dealer. I recently shot a friends bow and noticed a tremendous differnce. My bow had a "recoil" after the shot. So at a league shoot, tonight I asked a couple ofseasoned shooters to test my bow just to see if any thing was wrong but they could not find anything. Some guys thought it was just the way the bow shot because of the short axel length for the draw weight (65lbs.) I tried a bunch of different stablizers but nothing really calmed the bow down ! So my question to everyone is 1. If you have the same bow is this common ? 2. any suggestions to tame this beast ? 3. can I put a string stop on the bow. Please help:confused:

Simple Life
12-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I have an 01,and it is not to bad for hand shock.It has limbsavers on it and cat whiskers only.I only shot heavy aluminum arrows out of it which probably helped.As for a string stop-Bass Pro or Cabelas has a front mount which screws into the stabilizer hole and wraps around,heard it works pretty good.

Good Luck

alex
12-17-2010, 01:13 AM
And you can put a longer and heavier stabilizer.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Post a pic of the cam and string to give us a better idea if the cam is over or under rotated.
Hutch

Money Man
12-17-2010, 04:28 AM
I have an 02 and I have an x-coil by limbsaver for a stabilizer. I do not notice much "hand shock" but this is the only bow I have ever shot, so I do not have much to compare to. I also have limbsavers on the limbs and leeches on the string. That is how it was set up when I received it from a friend.

bfisher
12-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Just an educated guess at this point, but if the cams are not in sync this would cause a problem. Pictures of the bow would help; especially close-ups of the cams. Make sure they are in focus.

ElkSlayer
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
timing issue would feal horable:eek: limbs same deflection:confused: post up pic's

wshurick
12-18-2010, 05:41 AM
the bow is a single Fusion cam ! It draws smooth but kicks like a mule ! Here is the pics requested ! Thank you all :)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-18-2010, 08:07 AM
wshurick, as far as I can tell that is a 2002 or 03 Jaguar riser. We own Jaguars and the riser is exactly the same. The limbs look to be changed. Heres a link take a look.
www.martinarchery.com/catalogs/Martin_2002_Catalog.pdf

As far as the cam goes it is under rotated. Which means the string is stretched and it looks to need replacing. If you replace the string and cable, you will feel the difference.

copterdoc
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Yep, that's a cast magnesium Jaguar riser. 100% certain.

wshurick
12-18-2010, 03:18 PM
ok fellas thank you ! I was told it was a cougar when I bought it ! The bow is not marked and the sticker is faded ! ok the string is a start, what about a string stop ? In the rear of the riser is a threaded hole can I mount one in there? you guys are a big help thanks alot !!!!:)

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-18-2010, 04:29 PM
ok fellas thank you ! I was told it was a cougar when I bought it ! The bow is not marked and the sticker is faded ! ok the string is a start, what about a string stop ? In the rear of the riser is a threaded hole can I mount one in there? you guys are a big help thanks alot !!!!:)

There should be two holes one threaded one not, two side by side. You can use the martin string stop.

Hutch

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Also check Arrow Splitters profile (he is my son), He has a Jaguar in his pics. That will give you an idea what the bow looks like with the cam in the right position.
HUTCH

Arrow Splitter
12-18-2010, 04:56 PM

The Jaguar is an excellent bow as well. It's the only bow I have currently. Mine's an 07, but there's not a big difference in the different year's models, so once your bow is all set up, you should notice a major performance improvement.:cool: Also definitely go with a string stop, as it has made a major difference on my bow.