PDA

View Full Version : First ever white tail hunt is over!

Stéphane
12-24-2010, 06:59 AM
I have never ever been deer hunting in my life, but with my new Bengal shooting so accurately, I had to give it a shot.

I woke up at 3am, load the truck and hit the road. I arrived in Princeton, grab breakfast I headed for Coalmont, where I've seen deer numerous times. The great thing with snow, is you see right away how much recent activities there was. And there wasn't any. On top of that, I didn't even know if the tracks were from a mule deer or a white tail. From comments, articles and all the research I did, I was looking for a funnel where there would be a beaten path. I saw none of that. I did see a lot of individual tracks, but nothing telling me I should concentrate on a specific area. By 9am, I thought I'd try elsewhere.
And it got bit better!
One of my fear was to not be able to differentiate muleys from whiteys. I'm glad to say that I passed the test. I saw a doe and it struck me that she had bugs bunny ears. So, I grabbed my camera instead of my bow.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC00514.jpg
I thought about shooting her, go to the hardware store, pick some spay paint to do a bit of touch up here and there, then with a pair of scissors, trim the ears a bit.

In all I saw 8 mule doe, 7 of them well within my range of shooting.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC00515.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC00520.jpg

This was a group of 4.

I spent the rest of the day scouting, but nothing to entice to do more. I did finally find a well beaten path. The problem, it was on private land.

Minutes later, a herd of elk was grazing up the hill. I'll post the pictures later.

I finished at 5:11, but really, I was done 1/2 hour before as the visibility was none existent.

Can't wait for next year!

Stéphane
12-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Here are the elk.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC00523.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/DSC00525.jpg

alex
12-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Nice pictures. Good luck the next season!

bfisher
12-24-2010, 07:38 AM
No shots and no deer on the ground. Still, it sounds and looks like a very succesful ay of hunting to me. Nice pictures.

Simple Life
12-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Nice pictures,still a successful hunt to see that much game:)

Arrow Splitter
12-24-2010, 09:36 AM
There's nothing like being that close to wildlife(even when you are planning to shoot at them LOL). Very nice pics.:cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-24-2010, 12:05 PM
I am very glad for you and your hunting experience. I am sure this won't be your last hunt. Nice pics. It is nice to have good equipment too! Good job!
Hutch

Stéphane
12-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, and yes, it was a beautiful day of learning. There was even a time when I got stuck in the snow with my Rav4 about 30km away from the road. Note to self, don't venture beyond your means without shovel and/or chain.

Next year, I intend to get a doe tag for mule deer and go right back there. Unfortunately, being a teacher, I can't go for more than a weekend at the time.

Yesterday, I went goose hunting ,and I missed one by very little. What I didn't know at the time was that they allowed me to get closer than I thought. My first 3 arrows were just too far. Not quite an expert yet at guessing the range. My lowest pin was set at 30 yards. I think they were 100' away.

I did get lucky earlier this year with my old bow.

My first ever kill with a bow: ptarmigan
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2653-1.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2654.jpg

A ruffed grouse
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc77/yol68/IMG_2656.jpg

elkslayer4x5
12-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Next year, I intend to get a doe tag for mule deer and go right back there. Unfortunately, being a teacher, I can't go for more than a weekend at the time.

Yesterday, I went goose hunting ,and I missed one by very little. Not quite an expert yet at guessing the range. My lowest pin was set at 30 yards. I think they were 100' away.

Well, if they where 100' away and you used your 30 yd pin, you where off by 3 yds, that's pretty close for 'eyeballin' or guesstimating. For next year, pick up that elk tag as well as that doe tag, from the pics you posted , you where in the right area. What do the BC game laws say about feeding deer or elk? Here In Kalifornia, I'm not allowed to feed game animals. But my son ( Elkslayer ) up in Oregon is allowed to feed them. Deer love alfalfa, and can smell it miles away, but they do require a bit of 'training' to know where to expect to find it. Since you can go only on week-ends, leave plenty on Sunday evening, come back next Friday evening and put more out, Saturday morning, you'll see lots of deer, expecially when its cold, they eat to stay warm. Good luck and I hope you tag at least one of each. :)
And now I have to tease you a little, as a teacher, you do know that the plural of elk is elk and not elks, just like moose are'nt meese. LOL :D Even though more than one goose are geese.

Stéphane
12-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Well, if they where 100' away and you used your 30 yd pin, you where off by 3 yds, that's pretty close for 'eyeballin' or guesstimating. For next year, pick up that elk tag as well as that doe tag, from the pics you posted , you where in the right area. What do the BC game laws say about feeding deer or elk? Here In Kalifornia, I'm not allowed to feed game animals. But my son ( Elkslayer ) up in Oregon is allowed to feed them. Deer love alfalfa, and can smell it miles away, but they do require a bit of 'training' to know where to expect to find it. Since you can go only on week-ends, leave plenty on Sunday evening, come back next Friday evening and put more out, Saturday morning, you'll see lots of deer, expecially when its cold, they eat to stay warm. Good luck and I hope you tag at least one of each. :)
And now I have to tease you a little, as a teacher, you do know that the plural of elk is elk and not elks, just like moose are'nt meese. LOL :D Even though more than one goose are geese.

I'll check the regulations to see if the doe (elk) are off limit or not. I know we can't bait them. But really, there's plenty of game here, so if I scout properly prior to the fall, I should be fine.

As for the English lesson, thanks. I was wondering about that, but since it passed the spell check on my browser, I thought it was right. To my defense, I teach French Immersion. :confused:

Simple Life
12-28-2010, 03:08 AM
I'll check the regulations to see if the doe (elk) are off limit or not. I know we can't bait them. But really, there's plenty of game here, so if I scout properly prior to the fall, I should be fine.

As for the English lesson, thanks. I was wondering about that, but since it passed the spell check on my browser, I thought it was right. To my defense, I teach French Immersion. :confused:

La chasse Bonne chance l'année prochaine pour le wapiti et le cerf, j'espère que vous sac d'un.;)

alex
12-28-2010, 06:56 AM
What is "French Immersion"? I looked for "immersion" in the dictionary, but found nothing which makes sense :D

Stéphane
12-28-2010, 01:08 PM
What is "French Immersion"? I looked for "immersion" in the dictionary, but found nothing which makes sense :D
This is in English Canada where the parents decide to have their kids learn French. So, all the subjects are taught in French. Hence, being immersed in a French language.

Simple Life
12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
This is in English Canada where the parents decide to have their kids learn French. So, all the subjects are taught in French. Hence, being immersed in a French language.

Mandatory when I was in High school,needed 2 yrs of French to graduate.:(

alex
12-29-2010, 11:44 AM

This sounds good. Learning another language is always useful.