PDA

View Full Version : What arrow scale do you guys use?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Going to get a few pieces of equipment for the shop. just wondering what arrow scale does any one hear use?

Hutch

Rangerj
12-26-2010, 06:51 PM
I have a cheap US Balance USN-500. It seems to work well so far.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
I have a cheap US Balance USN-500. It seems to work well so far.

Did you get it off eBay? Is it battery operated?

Hutch

Rangerj
12-26-2010, 08:01 PM
I got it from Bowhuntersupply.com for about $20.00 plus shipping.It has a battery in it,I think it is like a watch battery.But I have not had to replace so I am not sure sorry.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-27-2010, 03:03 AM
I got it from Bowhuntersupply.com for about $20.00 plus shipping.It has a battery in it,I think it is like a watch battery.But I have not had to replace so I am not sure sorry.

Sounds like a good one!

HUTCH

CarlosII
12-27-2010, 03:25 AM
I also got mine off ebay for like fifteen bucks. After about a year I did have to put a new battery in it. Cheap battery. It weighs in grains, grams, ounces. Wife borrowed it to measure for cookies she was baking. Had she been baking something like live pate she would have had to wing it. :D

RLW
12-27-2010, 04:51 AM
I use the same 20+yr old simple RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam scale I use for reloading. Weighs up to 505grs to a 0.10 of a grain.
Figured it would work just as well for any arrow or arrow components I want weighed as it does for power charges.......did have to bend the back of the power tin a little to keep an arrow from rolling off.

SonnyThomas
12-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Watch some of those electronic scales. They have weight limits and if over the limit for too long you can have it fail.

I have one by Weigh Max, got it for $20. Though it can be accurate I trust it about as far as I can spit and then I always have it boxed so not to lose or damage the small thing. Mine is right at the same size of a pack of cigarettes. There are several different models www.weightmax.com

Any of the electronic scales need to have a flat, leveled platform of some kind. Any tilt can give unreliable readings. One should also purchase the correct weight in order to calibrate the scale. If needing something to keep the arrow centered (do this, center items wanted weighed), first calibrate the scale, weigh the holding device and then recalibrate with both the weight and holding device. Again, watch the maximum overall weight is not exceeded.

Check some of the Firearm catalogs. RCBS and others make some super great electronic scales. And they can be calibrated for a light holding device used to hold round things.

The best I have is; At the shop I have a older Holmac magnetic balance beam scale. No batteries and accurate within .10 gr. Like RLW, I bent the pan in two places to cradle the arrow. It sits on the counter so just about anyone can use it. I still watch over it though - kids and what I deem stupid people make me uneasy.

bfisher
12-27-2010, 07:27 AM
I use the same 20+yr old simple RCBS 5-0-5 balance beam scale I use for reloading. Weighs up to 505grs to a 0.10 of a grain.
Figured it would work just as well for any arrow or arrow components I want weighed as it does for power charges.......did have to bend the back of the power tin a little to keep an arrow from rolling off.

Exact same thing here. Right down to the ding in the back of the powder pan. Only difference might be that I've had mine since 1970.

Ehunter
12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Mine's a Lyman 1000XP powder scale. The base has grooves in it that are perfect for holding an arrow, so I zero it without the pan and use it that way. 1000 gr. capacity, so kinda overkill, but I use it for my reloading as well. Grain and gram readings, 1/10th grain accuracy, battery or ac power. Even has a dust cover. Very nice little scale, and not that bad of a price.

justin
12-27-2010, 05:00 PM
yeah i use my powder scale. my pan has noches built into it for aarows.

RLW
12-28-2010, 05:18 AM
......... Only difference might be that I've had mine since 1970.
You got me there, didn't get mine until 1984-85

SonnyThomas
12-28-2010, 05:36 AM
I have a old Herters free float balance beam scale. Incredibly accurate, but sure takes time and the slightest air current will make it start floating all over again. I have a Plexiglas cover for it.

Spiker
12-28-2010, 05:52 AM
MTM digital. From Ballistic Products it was about $25. Accurate enough for reloading 10ga shells so plenty good for weighing arrows and components.

bfisher
12-28-2010, 08:17 AM
I have a old Herters free float balance beam scale. Incredibly accurate, but sure takes time and the slightest air current will make it start floating all over again. I have a Plexiglas cover for it.

Now that is getting way back. I remember my first powder scale being something like that. Does yours have a little oil damper and a paddle on the beam?

SonnyThomas
12-28-2010, 12:29 PM
Now that is getting way back. I remember my first powder scale being something like that. Does yours have a little oil damper and a paddle on the beam?

No oil damper. It has a bubble level mounted on the cast iron base and then a lever arm to hold the beam until the balance weight are moved to get near the weight of the object.