PDA

View Full Version : . . .and I'm shooting 50 yards

Stéphane
12-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I just began shooting 50 yards this weekend trying to tame that distance. It's not bad. With my old bow (finger shooting) I was glad to hit the 4X4 and not wreck an arrow.

Sorry, I didn't take any picture, but as awful as my first group was, the last one one wasn't that bad. I had 3 of the 7 arrows with 4" while the rest were scattered bit. I have to be more diligent with my "list" : thumb to earlobe, elbow high, relax grip (X2) trigger.

From you guys who regularly shoot at longer distance, is there a feel to it too? Because really, 1 mm off and the error is multiplied several time by the time it hits the target. The reason I'm talking about a feel, is because I think my sighting of the target is never perfect at that distance.

Ehunter
12-27-2010, 05:02 PM
With my old Firecat, I was able to shoot 2 1/2 inch groups at 60 yards. The biggest factor for me was getting the draw length dialed in perfectly. Hard to believe how a 1/8th or 1/4 inch length adjustment can really steady up your shot. My only advice would be, if you are having problems keeping on target, don't be afraid to play with the draw length just a bit. There's a "sweet spot" in there for everyone, and it makes a world of difference. Small changes can make big differences. Also, keep in mind that noone can hold a pin on a target dot without some movement. Keeping that movement tight and close to the dot is the key. Especially at longer ranges.

justin
12-27-2010, 05:12 PM
have you tried focusing on the sight pin? that can help.

elkslayer4x5
12-28-2010, 06:26 AM
have you tried focusing on the sight pin? that can help.

Just the oppisite for me, if I concentrate on the pin, it soon is all over the target, guess I shot instintive for too long. Pick a spot on your target, and concentrate on that spot, you'll see less pin bounce. Put all thought of past shots out of your mind, relax, keep your attention on where you want your arrow. :cool:

bfisher
12-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Just the oppisite for me, if I concentrate on the pin, it soon is all over the target, guess I shot instintive for too long. Pick a spot on your target, and concentrate on that spot, you'll see less pin bounce. Put all thought of past shots out of your mind, relax, keep your attention on where you want your arrow. :cool:

Me, too. I concetrate on the target. 30+ years ago my coach taught me that the best way to hit anything (target) is to concentrate on it. I even learned, in time, that my sight pin didn't have to be on the bullseye to hit the bullseye. I just had to be concentrating on it and that's where the arrow would hit.

EHunter explained something very well. Many times it's all about draw length. We can talk all we want about using good repeatable form, and this is paramount, but good repeatable form can only be achieved if the bow's draw length is adjusted down to at least the best 1/4". And, Oh yeah, maybe even the last little 1/8" if you desire to be that picky.

ElkSlayer
12-28-2010, 09:46 AM
I will add to the above..with dont push your self to far...as 4x5 says put the last shot outa your mind ...if you try to shoot to far for too long its very hard to do while making poor shots...keep in your comfort zone then step back...soon as you waver ( stray shots off your mark) step back up.
keep your eye on the prize..stare at your target with intent to kill it...some guy taught me this 40 some years ago...alowed me to make 100 yard shots with only a 60yard pin...3D targets only:D shoot instictive still to this day..(recurve) been a few years but used to do it with a compound to:cool: keep at it sir it will come around for you..

justin
12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
im curious about not focusing on your pin. when shooting rifles/pistols focusing on the front sight is paramount to good accuracy at range. i figured this would carry over to archery as well. aparently im wrong. but i was shooting 2x2s at 50 yards pretty consistantly shooting a too-long-of-a-draw. is there a official correct way to make your sight picture, as far as focal point?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I agree with keep your eye on the target. Once the pin in on the spot (target), The pin should dissapear and the spot (target) is the focus point. When I shoot it ends up target and trigger, as the focus points. That way I am less apt to be move, and more apt to focus on the two important moves. Form should be habit, if not practice, practice, practice.

Hutch

Spiker
12-28-2010, 05:15 PM
When I shoot my best - I dont even really know where the pin was at.
All I see is the X.

Stéphane
12-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I took a day of rest today, went shopping to the USA to find out that all the Joe's Outdoor are out of business?!?!?

So, tomorrow, back to the range and I'll try to get my focus better. Won't linger too long on the 50 yards, but will try it before I get fatigued.

I'm trying to get ready for a 3d shoot that happens next month in my town, Abbotsford, BC. We do have a 3d course, but it's only open on weekend. I think the longest one is 30ish yards. At that distance, I'm doing ok.

Learning something new every time I come to this site. :cool:

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Sounds like fun Stéphane. I am sure you'll do fine, enjoy!

Hutch

justin
12-28-2010, 05:44 PM
correct!!! and take anything i say with a grain of salt at best!!! im sure the rest of the guys know much more than i do!!!! i havent been shooting long, and i learn something everyday too!!!

SonnyThomas
12-28-2010, 06:07 PM
when shooting rifles/pistols focusing on the front sight is paramount to good accuracy at range. is there a official correct way to make your sight picture, as far as focal point?

I, too, focused on the front sight when shooting handguns with iron sights. Breathing controlled and the sights moving in the same direction each and every time I was able to set some club records, up close anyway.

For years I use to stack my pin, make a figure 8 of the pin and the wanted point of impact. Now, putting the pin in the center and letting it float is the said manner of shooting spots. Well, one of the better spot archers says he lets the pin ride in the bottom of the spot. I tried this today. I did not reset my sight pin, just shot it as is. I must say I did put a lot arrows where the pin was.

justin
12-28-2010, 06:13 PM
but what do you focus on sonny? the pin or the target?

SonnyThomas
12-29-2010, 06:38 AM
I'm a bit different for aiming or focusing. I am left handed and left eye dominent and shoot right handed. For 3D I make a picture and the pin is part of the picture. I put the pin where I want it and when comes to a stand still the shot just goes off. I can't explain it any other way.

I dislike spots, mainly because I have to practice, practice and practice in order to just stay fairly good. Not good to win, not good to just automatically shoot a 300 on a 5 spot. Probably working against me is having to stand there and shoot 60 arrows and nothing to really gain - Okay, desire is lacking. I've used putting the pin under the bull's eye. I've used the said pin in the middle and let it float. I've used a index, thumb and back tension release, used bows of 40 to 67 pounds, used different draw lengths and regardless my scores stay in the 290s with a every so often 300. Indoors, my eyes, my age, I don't know if I can improve, but I keep trying. The dreaded Vegas is just that, dreaded.

When at my best in Field I stacked the pin under the bull's eye to make a figure 8.

Stéphane
12-29-2010, 07:06 AM
I'm a bit different for aiming or focusing. I am left handed and left eye dominent and shoot right handed.

I'm like that too. I was going to buy a LH bow, but because I shattered my humerus in a motorcycle accident years ago, I just can't shoot properly with a LH bow.

I'll try you trick today at the range.

ElkSlayer
12-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Just keep at it .. try what works for you..some guys come down on to target while others come up from bottom once pin settles shot goes off... as sonny said fig8 style. i have gotten it to a freeze habit. while shooting my compound. draw my bow get settled bring pin up to target from bottom and soon as it looks like 8 it stops moving..no float ,its rock solid
:( have to will it on to spot... yes i know i can just re set sight but thats a band aid for a cut that needs stiches... to fix it I just come from top down after a while im ok again. Picking up my recurve is better fix..has no sights:D

bfisher
12-29-2010, 08:56 AM
I wasn't going to read this thread today. Glad I did. And here I thought I was the only one with a case of target panic----and old age.

SonnyThomas
12-29-2010, 11:21 AM
bfisher definition; oldest teenager in here.

SonnyThomas
12-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Just keep at it .. try what works for you..some guys come down on to target while others come up from bottom once pin settles shot goes off... as sonny said fig8 style.

Elk has pointed out something. It is far easier to come down on a target than go up. If sighted in low, full draw and all, your muscles are tense and hard to make things go up.

Then, people want to see the X or center of the target and get the jitters/shakes trying to make the pin settle in the center or and freeze low.

Again, some do things to get the best of both as I replied prior to this. Let the pin floating in the bottom of the bull's eye. You have the in the bottom to gage and can see the center of the target. Won't work for 3D though unless you have Superman's eyes and can see the 10, 12 or 14 rings.

bfisher
12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Elk has pointed out something. It is far easier to come down on a target than go up. If sighted in low, full draw and all, your muscles are tense and hard to make things go up.

Then, people want to see the X or center of the target and get the jitters/shakes trying to make the pin settle in the center or and freeze low.

Again, some do things to get the best of both as I replied prior to this. Let the pin floating in the bottom of the bull's eye. You have the in the bottom to gage and can see the center of the target. Won't work for 3D though unless you have Superman's eyes and can see the 10, 12 or 14 rings.

That's what I mean about getting old, Sonny. At 30 yards or so I can't even see the 3D 10 ring on a deer even though I'm sighting through a 4X scope lens.

You are right about one thing. I try to come down on a target, too, but if the pin drops low I just let down and start over. It's just too hard to physically and mentally bring that pin back up. Something I learned many many years ago. As I get older though the mental discipline to let down doesn't seem to stick in my mind as well......either that or I'm just getting plain stubborn and my scores reflect such. I'm working on it though.

Stéphane
12-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I went to the range and did a test and recorded my scores.
50 yards- 30 shots (5 rounds of 6 arrows): score 139 (max 300). "Going up" were my best results (38 and 37 out of a max of 60). I'll work on that more tomorrow.

At 30 yards- 30 shots: score 204. What the score doesn't say is the grouping was good, but high on the right. (too bad I can't show you my iPod for you to see)
I didn't do any adjustments because not that long ago, I was shooting left.

I have this app on my ipod that allows me to record my shooting. Great to see my groupings and the improvements . .. when there will be.

SG

Ehunter
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
If one time you were shooting left, but now you are shooting right, without any adjustments, I'd say you might be torquing the bow a little. This is provided the bow has been well tuned. I'd try working on my grip a little. No need to even shoot the bow to do this. Just draw the bow back, making sure it's in the exact same place on your hand everytime. Also, make sure your hand is in the exact same place on the bow each time. I've seen a few guys run their hands up and down a grip each time, not realising they were doing it. It varied from barely noticeable, to a good 3/8ths difference, higher or lower. That's gonna change the impact point. Make sure you aren't grabbing the grip...ever. when I first started shooting years ago, I dropped my bow down to it's lowest draw weight, and practiced my grip and form that way. Get alot more draws at a lower poundage per day before you tire.

ElkSlayer
12-30-2010, 02:46 PM
SG good on you for not ajusting your bow...a lot of guys would have .
An barry I wont even go into failing eye sight..Im Diabetic:( it changed almost over night.. when workin on my bow I end up running out to shoot it an realize I still have glasses on.. found out i can :D