PDA

View Full Version : What kind of arrow nocks are the best?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-30-2010, 04:14 PM
What kind of arrow nocks are the best?

Hutch

Ehunter
12-30-2010, 04:43 PM
One's that fit the string best. lol I think nock to string fit is an often forgotten, and overlooked part of accuracy. One of those "in the back of my mind" things. I think most nocks are about equal in quality, but they vary in fit. Right now, I'm using pin nocks from Bohning. Good fit on my string.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
One's that fit the string best. lol I think nock to string fit is an often forgotten, and overlooked part of accuracy. One of those "in the back of my mind" things. I think most nocks are about equal in quality, but they vary in fit. Right now, I'm using pin nocks from Bohning. Good fit on my string.

Yes you are right a good fit on the string a must. As a string builder I like being able to serve the center to match the nock which helps in accuracy. But some nocks aren't so well made. 7 out of 12 of my Black hawk vapor pros cracked after a few months. So I posted this thread to give me ideas.

Hutch

bfisher
12-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I used to experiment a lot but got discouraged with just what you guys are talking about. Nock to string fit. It can vary from one brand to the other too much so about 15 years ago I took a different route. I use large throat
(.098) Easton G-nock. I just get the proper size nock bushings for the arrow I'm shooting. G-nocks just seem to be more consistent; lot to lot and color to color they are all the same.

And no guessing on serving size either. To allow for break-in I know my center serving has to finish up at about .107" to .110". After some bit of shooting those lightly snap on and then slide off like butter.

Ehunter
12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I may be totally screwed up in what I do, but if my nocks fit too tight, I'll take some 220 grit sand paper, bend it around the string (not over the serving), and nock, denock, nock, until it's fitting better. After every 3-4 nockings, I try it on the serving to check the fit. I'm sure not all of them are identical, but it seems to work for me. I must be getting smarter too, Barry has agreed with me twice in the past week. lol

SonnyThomas
12-30-2010, 07:11 PM
As most said, fit comes first, but I usually switch to Bohning for most arrows. As for my CXLs I use the standard CX nock, but every so often install new nocks. A shooting friend of mone installs new nocks every 200 shots or so. He believes they wear faster than I do.

Simple Life
12-31-2010, 11:08 AM
What ever is on the Gold Tip,but replacements are Bohning.

Arrow Splitter
01-01-2011, 01:05 PM
What ever is on the Gold Tip,but replacements are Bohning.

GT nocks are on Gold Tip.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Has anyone tried Beiter nocks?

Hutch

Montalaar
01-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Has anyone tried Beiter nocks?

Hutch

Yeah. As they are made in my home country... :P

I use Beiter and replace everything with them. Beiter Hunter 19/2 nocks are just awesome. Perfect symmetry. They make different nocks for different purposes. Hunter nocks are for D-loops, the other nocks are for finger shooters or those of us that us a loop under the nocking point or a rope release. :)

Many different colors and all have the same size and proportions.

Stéphane
01-02-2011, 10:24 AM
How about lighted nocks? Anyone who tried them?

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Montalaar. I know the servers are great. I just needed to know if the knocks did. Yes they are a little bit pricey but just thought they were better.

Hutch

bfisher
01-02-2011, 11:21 AM

Not me. I just can't see spending as much for a nock as I do for arrows just so I can see where it's going. Besides that I learned 35 years ago from a coach that the best shots I'll ever make are those where I don't see the arrow go; aim the bow and forget about the arrow. If you do your job the arrow will be right where you were aiming when the bow went off. You just have to aim and have confidence in your ability.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2011, 11:23 AM

I have not tried them. But I know people who have and they are great. They are expensive. Here is a link to build your own.
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1326576&highlight=lighted+nocks
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=907712&highlight=lighted+nocks
These guys make them all the time.

Hutch

Montalaar
01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks Montalaar. I know the servers are great. I just needed to know if the knocks did. Yes they are a little bit pricey but just thought they were better.

Hutch

I think i could send you two or three Beiter Hunter 19/2 in flo orange if needed. I'd just need your postal address if you want. I am not sure if they would fit into your arrows though. Beiter makes so many different nock sizes to fit as many as different arrow shafts at all.

http://wernerbeiter.com/en/products/nocks/hunter-nock.php

Try them if you can, H~n~S. They are pricey but in my eyes they are worth it. I use the same nocks i bought around 2 years ago for my GT arrows because they are so reliable. My Easton nocks always wore out a bit. Not to talk about the GT nocks that break from time to time...

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
I think i could send you two or three Beiter Hunter 19/2 in flo orange if needed. I'd just need your postal address if you want. I am not sure if they would fit into your arrows though. Beiter makes so many different nock sizes to fit as many as different arrow shafts at all.

http://wernerbeiter.com/en/products/nocks/hunter-nock.php

Try them if you can, H~n~S. They are pricey but in my eyes they are worth it. I use the same nocks i bought around 2 years ago for my GT arrows because they are so reliable. My Easton nocks always wore out a bit. Not to talk about the GT nocks that break from time to time...

Hey that is nice of you Montalaar. I appreciate it but I know they won't fit. But that is ok. I looked on there website and yes they make a lot of sizes. But they look well made. That is what counts. I have Black-hawk vapor pro arrows, and the nock looks like a knock off of GT nocks. And you are absolutely right they snap after a while. I do not like that at all since they fit properly and shouldn't break.

Hutch

Montalaar
01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, they may wont fit in those arrows. I cannot tell you anything beside the information that is on their website. I used the Beiter nocks as Pin-nocks on my ACEs. The arrows broke within 3 months. The nocks are still here with me. Although i do not need them at all.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Yeah, they may wont fit in those arrows. I cannot tell you anything beside the information that is on their website. I used the Beiter nocks as Pin-nocks on my ACEs. The arrows broke within 3 months. The nocks are still here with me. Although i do not need them at all.

I target shoot in the basement a little under 20yards. Last night I broke another nock just regular shooting. I think I got a bad batch. That would be 7 of them broken out of 12. I don't need to be changing nocks every other shot.
Expensive arrows to be breaking huh. It would be better for the nocks to break and the arrows to make it.

Hutch

alex
01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I try not to be so accurate :D There are no spare nocks for my Al arrows and if i break them i have to carve new ones from hardwood which is a slow job. And don't want even to think about destroying one of my GTs.

justin
01-02-2011, 10:57 PM
i dont think hes shooting the backs off of them i think hes pulling them out of the target and finding the knock broken. its happened to me once with gt aarows. ive been watching them colsely now.

RLW
01-03-2011, 05:48 AM
I got a few Easton Microlite Super Nock to try a while back and liked them well enough that changed nocks on my Beman ICSH arrows to them.
Approx 5grs lighter than standard super nock I had been using, helps front balance (slightly) and to me seem to fit slightly better......they are quite a bit shorter than the standard super nock.

The set of PSE Carbon Force X-Weave arrows I have came with Beiter nocks. I had no problem with them, but did change the 3 arrows I have left to the Microlite.

Lighted nocks are a problem for me. I like the idea, but don't like the extra tail weight, and being "electronic" they're illegal during archery season in Idaho.

Haven't done this in several years now, but I used to place my conventional nocked aluminum arrows on the string and gently put forward until it popped off........if it pulled the string more, or less, than 1/8", I would dip nock end in hot water to soften slightly, then pinch or spread gap until I got them all the same.

Stéphane
01-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Not me. I just can't see spending as much for a nock as I do for arrows just so I can see where it's going. Besides that I learned 35 years ago from a coach that the best shots I'll ever make are those where I don't see the arrow go; aim the bow and forget about the arrow. If you do your job the arrow will be right where you were aiming when the bow went off. You just have to aim and have confidence in your ability.

It had nothing to do with seeing my arrow flight, but more to "locate" it in the grass, water or where ever I shot it. Of course, if I still can't find it, it's just more money lost. :(

polaris754
01-03-2011, 02:25 PM
im thinkin about tryin those luminocks from what i have seen they look pretty kwel :D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
im thinkin about tryin those luminocks from what i have seen they look pretty kwel :D

Here is 2 links to make your own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMqLT-4ezzk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlUJujJZphc

Hutch