PDA

View Full Version : Martin Bows

Simple Life
01-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Why do people act like Martin Bows are cheap and no good?I am on a local forum,and a question was asked "anyonebuying a 2011 bow"
I replied I was buying a Firecat 360 in the spring and was kinda of made fun of.:mad:Sorry I don't like Bowtech,but this is what I like.

justin
01-01-2011, 07:39 AM
some people frown at the risers.... how they are built i mean.

alex
01-01-2011, 08:05 AM
I can answer you about such people from Freudian point of view - the more expensive the bow ..... ;)

Arrow Splitter
01-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I can answer you about such people from Freudian point of view - the more expensive the bow ..... ;)

Yes, definitely. I myself can't see spending $1000 or more dollars on a bow and accessories that I'm going to take through the woods, but that's just me.:D

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 01:19 PM
I usually tell them to put an arrow in the target with their supreme bow, and I'll put an arrow in with my non supreme bow, and we will see who's bow is the best and most accurate. It isn't the price that makes a bow. Its the design and the company who is backing it. Martin is still one of the best. My 10 or more robin hoods in only 7-8years of shooting should tell them something (robin hoods of other peoples arrows).:D

Hutch

Arrow Splitter
01-01-2011, 01:35 PM
I replied I was buying a Firecat 360

I'm jealous.LOL:D:D

bfisher
01-01-2011, 01:42 PM
It's just the way we've been taught to think. Newer and more expensive is always better. Bigger is better. It's our society. One of the reasons Americans are looked down upon in many parts of the world. Our arrogance.

I get critisized all the time for my truck. It's an 11 year old Chevy Silverado with almost 140,000 miles on it. I get told "You have the money. Why not get a new one?" Well, I always tell these people that this truck is paid for. It still gets 18 mpg. Why shell out my truck and $25,000 to get one that is just newer? Besides, this is the reason I have the money. They're all up to their ears in debt. They keep buying the products and I buy stocks in the company.

Being an old geeser I've learned a few things in life. One of them is that the only person I have to impress in this world is me.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 01:49 PM
It's just the way we've been taught to think. Newer and more expensive is always better. Bigger is better. It's our society. One of the reasons Americans are looked down upon in many parts of the world. Our arrogance.

I get critisized all the time for my truck. It's an 11 year old Chevy Silverado with almost 140,000 miles on it. I get told "You have the money. Why not get a new one?" Well, I always tell these people that this truck is paid for. It still gets 18 mpg. Why shell out my truck and $25,000 to get one that is just newer? Besides, this is the reason I have the money. They're all up to their ears in debt. They keep buying the products and I buy stocks in the company.

Being an old geeser I've learned a few things in life. One of them is that the only person I have to impress in this world is me.

Well said Barry. Same here on the truck. Mine is a 99 suburban with 170,000 miles on it. Why buy another. When this one is still good.

Hutch

Simple Life
01-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys.Just don't understand people's thinking sometimes.I don't need to spend a fortune on a bow to enjoy the sport.;)

Arrow Splitter
01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't need to spend a fortune on a bow to enjoy the sport.;)

Right on!;)

Ehunter
01-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok, I'm jealous. Mine's a 92 Ford with 196,000 miles on it. lol Still kinda runs though. lol when I was younger, I fell into the "new is better" group. I was shooting a new Mathews MQ32 back then. Took 2 men and a mule to pull the thing back, but hey, it was new and expensive! Now, I shoot only Martin/Rytera. Faster, smoother, more accurate, and yes, less expensive. I prefer to put the extra money in the bank, instead of in a bow. I say, let people say whatever they want. Once they can outshoot me, I'll listen.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Ok, I'm jealous. Mine's a 92 Ford with 196,000 miles on it. lol Still kinda runs though. lol when I was younger, I fell into the "new is better" group. I was shooting a new Mathews MQ32 back then. Took 2 men and a mule to pull the thing back, but hey, it was new and expensive! Now, I shoot only Martin/Rytera. Faster, smoother, more accurate, and yes, less expensive. I prefer to put the extra money in the bank, instead of in a bow. I say, let people say whatever they want. Once they can outshoot me, I'll listen.

Well put! ;)

Rangerj
01-01-2011, 06:14 PM
As it stands right now I probably won't have anything other than Martin unless I win another brand or it is a gift.I am a pleased Martin customer.I also will not spend the cash for the most advertised bows,when my Martin's will do the same.They shoot better than I doanyway and the Martin customer is just great.Okay, I am through now- lol

justin
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
hehehe, my truck is a whopping 22 years old now and yeah its paid for!!!! it is a CHEVY of course, and gets the job done. and i can afford to shoot because of it. think of all the neat acrhery stuff you COULD buy for a truck/car payment every month!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-01-2011, 06:26 PM
hehehe, my truck is a whopping 22 years old now and yeah its paid for!!!! it is a CHEVY of course, and gets the job done. and i can afford to shoot because of it. think of all the neat acrhery stuff you COULD buy for a truck/car payment every month!!

Great way of putting it! A payment a month on Archery equipment. YEPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SonnyThomas
01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Some years back Hoyt, Mathews and Bowtech grabbed the spotlight and Martin was sort of forgotten. Martin PR wasn't up to par or something. I mean, Martin shooter Sally Wunderle has been Women's National Champion more times that I can remember, 17 or 18 times. Shoulder problems aways back, college and then married Sally (Wunderle) Robie nailed down 2nd in the recent Presley's Midwest Open behind one the nation's, if not world's, top female shooter Jamie Van Natta. Martin has had the World spotlight more than a couple times with World Cup wins and won Vegas not to long ago, Barnsdale and him using skinny arrows to boot. Alas, I never got to shoot the once crown of Martin, the Scepter.
I often wonder if Martin receives some royalties as many current archery items stems from past Martin archery concepts. You have to look in Archery History.com. Martin is sort of like Darton. Many companies have to or have had to pay Darton for the half breed cam system. Martin evaded the Allen patient way back when by pulling the KamAct, but archery lost one of the most innovative bows to ever arise. Others suffered in court. Allen died in a car crash when in legalities. His family received mucho bucks.
Prior to 2009 Martin had questionable strings that didn't help and the looks of the Gold Series risers were rather lack luster, but they could shoot with the best. I don't think it was so much string durability, but custom strings having less stretch and peep rotation. Okay, the new kids had come on the block and lacked knowledge of what it takes for strings to work in. Many of us knew some strings took a few hundred shots, even a 1000 before they settled in, stretching ceased, and peep rotation held and then these same strings would go on to give owner several thousand shots.
Today, say 2009 and going into 2011, Martin/Rytera has some outstanding bows that are catching eyes. Perhaps I would example myself. For 10 years I shot Hoyt bows and then I shot a Martin Shadowcat. I am considering another Shadowcat and tempted by the Onza 3 and then the Alien Z and Nemesis has my attention and then I have to say I am not a short ata bow lover.

Passing note; Has anyone looked up the word, Nemesis? I sort of like it and maybe it needs pushed. Save you the trouble; unbeatable opponent: a bitter enemy, especially one who seems unbeatable.

CarlosII
01-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Love my Black Ice...then I got a Marquis and loved that (both Diamonds)then I got a Brigadier (Bow Tech)...then I got a used 2010 Shadowcat.
I don't think I'll need to bow shop for quite a while. ;)

elkslayer4x5
01-02-2011, 08:30 AM
To those types of people, newer, bigger, faster, more expencive is THE sport. :)

bfisher
01-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Sonny, I like my Alien Z, but I'm pretty sure my 2011 bow is going to be a Nemisis. Given my short draw there are only so many options and this seems like the best one for now. My biggest obstacle is picking the color. I've heard the black is like the 2010 Carbon fiber look and I have that color.

justin
01-02-2011, 02:29 PM
i was going to ask if you ever got an alien z, barry. i read a post from way back saying you liked the alien x and would get one if there was a longer ata version....

Simple Life
01-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Good read ST.It is nice to be on this forum and talk to people who are passionate about the sport and not just how much they spent on a bow.
Thumbs up to you guys:)

Spiker
01-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Sonny, I like my Alien Z, but I'm pretty sure my 2011 bow is going to be a Nemisis. Given my short draw there are only so many options and this seems like the best one for now. My biggest obstacle is picking the color. I've heard the black is like the 2010 Carbon fiber look and I have that color.

Black and Red 'should' be powdercoat just like the Martin line but I havent been able to verify that yet.
Guess we will know all about them in another week...
I really like my Nemesis and think that it would be a good shooter for you.

bowgramp59
01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
i myself don't really care what anyone thinks or says about what i shoot. i shoot alien xs and just purchased a new onza 3. you are going to have those jerks out there that just like to start trouble. if you like mathews shoot a mathews, if you like hoyt shoot one, i prefer martins and rytera, which i think the alien x is the best shooting and the best looking bows out there, but thats just my oppinion, i could care less what my neighbor shoots, really they all do the same thing just a little differant looking in one area or another, 60 lbs. is 60lbs. i bet you take a 60 lb mathews and a 60 lb martin with the same equipment on them the arrow want get there any quicker than a couple of a thousandth of a second from either bow . as for being accruate ,most of that comes from the person behind the bow. the reason that one bow is more popular than the other is the amount of money the bow company is willing to pay for advertisement and celeberties to promote there product. i do think ted nugent has made a wise chose of which bow he is promoting. sorry for such a long reply. by the way that onza shoots great and looks good!

bfisher
01-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Your post ain't so long Gramps. You should see some of mine. I like your use of the word "celebrity".. Some might call them professional hunters, but I think most of them act like anything but a true professional. The only likeness they have to a professional is that they get paid to advertise. That's much of the reason I quit watching those canned hunting shows a long time ago.

SonnyThomas
01-03-2011, 03:56 AM
the reason that one bow is more popular than the other is the amount of money the bow company is willing to pay for advertisement and celeberties to promote there product. i do think ted nugent has made a wise chose of which bow he is promoting.

I like your use of the word "celebrity".. Some might call them professional hunters, but I think most of them act like anything but a true professional. The only likeness they have to a professional is that they get paid to advertise.

TA DAH! Two answers that says it all..... Well said I might add.

Ehunter
01-03-2011, 04:29 AM
VERY well said Barry. The hosts of the hunting shows may be bow "shooters", but they sure aren't "hunters". Once they start hanging their own stands, not hunting over feeders or food plots, and do their own scouting, I might start watching again. Always ticked me off to hear how "hard" one of them hunted. Walking out to a stand someone else picked out the spot for, and set up, then taking a nap while your cameraman keeps an eye out for deer is not exactly what I call hunting hard. Might as well set leg traps, and just pass it off as a deer standing or bedding right below your stand. I'm done ranting now. lol

Arrow Splitter
01-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Then there's the guys who hunt on the edge of huge fields, that just happen to have 10+ deer in them, while most of us do well to to see half that number in the entire season.:rolleyes:

bfisher
01-03-2011, 06:55 AM
They never seem to shoot anything less than a 150 class buck. Or how about the guy that gives a couple toots on his grunt tube and that huge buck 1/4 mile across the field comes a runnin. 1/4 mile? Get real.

I'd like to see some unedited footage of some of these hunts. I do underwater video so know what editing is about. Any mistake or mishap can be edited out. Just wonder how many misses or wounding shots get relegated to the trash can.

Ehunter, not to pick on you, but I have never found anything wrong with taking a nap in my stand. LOL. Of course, it might have been nice to have that extra set of eyes keeping abreast of matters.

elkslayer4x5
01-03-2011, 07:04 AM
Then there's the guys who hunt on the edge of huge fields, that just happen to have 10+ deer in them, while most of us do well to to see half that number in the entire season.:rolleyes:

Is'nt that called baiting? Why else would ten+ deer be in one place. Legal in lots of states. Just became legal in Oregon to feed, and what works best is corn and alfalfa. But unless the deer you're hunting lives near a corn field, not likely that the deer know what corn is, Alfalfa is a differnt story, open up the bale and even we can smell it, and the deer sure can, seems that they love it. But in order to get those 10+ deer in one place, you have to feed them there, a lot, over several weeks. Once established it can be very effective. :D

alex
01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
The entire TV is hypocritical and disgusting so you must not be surprised that the hunting shows are like this. Thanks God for YouTube, forums like this one and the torrent sites :D

SonnyThomas
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
Is'nt that called baiting, why would else would ten+ deer be in one place. Legal in lots of states. Just became legal in Oregon to feed, and what works best is corn and alfalfa. But unless the deer you're hunting lives near a corn field, not likely that the deer know what corn is, Alfalfa is a differnt story, open up the bale and even we can smell it, and the deer sure can, seems that they love it. But in order to get those 10+ deer in one place, you have to feed them there, a lot, over several weeks. Once established it can be very effective. :D

Food plots can, no always, offer deer something on the order of a kid after candy. I consider it baiting, but it's legal in most states. I have and my wife has sat right in the middle of a "herd" of deer. In our pasture I have sat in the stand and had 11 around me all at once. We have what is more a crossing point, between fields, cover and bedding areas right in our pasture. Okay, we are lucky, but not always successful. I'm getting picky. Once, in a corn field, my wife and I and our two dogs laid right in the middle of 16 deer. But then they knew we were hunting yotes, not them. My wife had probably the most dreamable experience. While just walking about in the nearby strip mine property she unknowning sat in the middle of 30 deer. I guess this deer grouping is called Yarding, but more a somewhat yearly get together. 30 deer either bedded down or just standing around like they could care less of her presence and her with her dog, Tiger.

This was not to take away from the issue raised above, but to say, yeah, it can happen, but sure as heck not as often as in the videos and hunting shows.

whman
01-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Hey Simple Life,
While the Martins can be very competitively priced, I wouldn't call them "cheap" by any means. I recently purchased a Warhog and paid over $750.00 for it....pretty comparable to many "top name" bows I think. I liked the feel of the bow, the looks of the Martin line and the reputation of the company....I probably would have paid more for the Martin, but didn't have to. The admonition to shoot what you like is a good one......anyone who puts your bow down, if it's a Martin, is simply either foolish or ignorant of the facts. There are some bows out there, not many, that I would consider lacking.....but not Martins bows.
Take good care!

justin
01-05-2011, 03:26 PM
i freeking love warthogs!!! i should have nabbed that one i shot for like 5 something.... but 3 bows in 4 months is TOO MUCH...... lol i will have to settle for my alien.

Arrow Splitter
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
but 3 bows in 4 months is TOO MUCH...... lol i will have to settle for my alien.

I have to agree with that statement.LOL:D:D

justin
01-05-2011, 05:10 PM
lol...food plots........ iowa is a giant food plot. and 10 plus deer in one spot? all of the time!!! yeah the hunting is good in my area. lol i saw some pictures of ted lastnight with a guy i know who went hunting with him. i guess it was fun. lol anyway yeah....

Silencer
01-07-2011, 08:48 AM
I get so sick of the Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech crowd they think anything else is just beneth them or something. I will take my new Silencer over any of them any day hands down. Plus I spent half of the average other bows and used that for new sights and other goodies.

alex
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
I get so sick of the Hoyt, Matthews, Bowtech crowd they think anything else is just beneth them or something. I will take my new Silencer over any of them any day hands down. Plus I spent half of the average other bows and used that for new sights and other goodies.

Welcome to this forum and good luck with your new Silencer!

Arrow Splitter
01-07-2011, 05:33 PM
And to think, there are people in this world that think Hoyt invented the style riser that they use.:rolleyes: