PDA

View Full Version : you don't need to have the top of the line equiptment

slim
11-26-2006, 08:18 PM
i bought my first new bow in 1993' martin cougar. i have always been a successful bow hunter ,but always felt that i didnt have the best equiptment. in 1995 a freind of mine was going to upgrade his pse , and offered his old one to me at a great price ,so i bought it . i used the pse for a couple of week's and didn't really like it all to much ,so i went back to my cougar and harvested a nice 6 point whitetail. the following year i did the same thing ,another freind of mine that upgrades every couple of years offered me his bow ,which was a top of the line browning. well after just a week i got a shot at a nice 6 point at about 15 yds ,i was i little forward with my shot and burried it in his shoulder, the deer fell to the ground instantly, and i thought " yeah this is great" well the deer got up and ran about 75 yds i could see him the entire way . he stopped turned his head back and pulled the arrow out of his shoulder. you probably think i' crazy but it get's better. he then started to feed again, i could not belive what i was seeing, i got my call out grunted a couple of times he lifted his head toward me took a couple of steps my way well the shock must have been over he then turned and walked away, i never found or seen the deer again. so needless to say i went back to my martin cougar. i did end up taking a nice mature doe that season. this year i finally saved a little bit of money and wanted a new bow , there are three or four guys at work that had bought the new mathews switchback this year and couldnt stop talking about them,so i wanted a switchback, well after seeing the price of them i knew that was out of the question. after 12 years with my cougar it was getting a little beat up, so i went to the same martin dealer i purchased my first cougar from . i ended up buying last years model martin cougar and have had success already this year on a nice spike .i am still hunting with my bow ,and after setting in my stand i am begining to realize you don't have to have the top of the line equiptment just equiptment you can DEPEND ON . i know i have that with my martin cougar , and i can only hope it lasts me half as long as my last.good luck all!

karl4hand
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
I have a Martin Saber, which would definately not be the top-of-the-line. But, I harvested 7 deer this year and this was my first year hunting at age 42.

Wes Stigall
07-21-2007, 09:45 PM
I STILL HAVE AND SHOOT A 1981 martin couger -round wheel 27 .00-draw 55 lb --that still can kill or shoot 300 ,s--this bow has --out lasted -many ,many other makes and models .yep its been reworked several times -I KILLED MY first of many deer with it -shot my first 300 -shot my first I. B. O -ASA-&FIELD SCORES --WINNING -----MANY --iTS what you have confidence in--not .the cost .:D :D

Timothy Nelson
08-13-2007, 04:50 AM
I also have a 1980 vintage cougar mag! I love the long axel length and the laminated limbs. Does anyone out there know how I can up date this bow, just a bit?

I want to shorten the draw length a bit, but I believe that I am out of adjustment. Can I put new greater let off cams with ajustable draw length on it? I havent shot a bow in about 15 years! But I want to dust this baby off and see how I like it again.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Barry O'Regan
11-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I STILL HAVE AND SHOOT A 1981 martin couger -round wheel 27 .00-draw 55 lb --that still can kill or shoot 300 ,s--this bow has --out lasted -many ,many other makes and models .yep its been reworked several times -I KILLED MY first of many deer with it -shot my first 300 -shot my first I. B. O -ASA-&FIELD SCORES --WINNING -----MANY --iTS what you have confidence in--not .the cost .:D :D

Damn Straight, I too have a 1981-82 50-60# Martin Cougar, I shot and won a lot of tourneys, both Fita and 3-D with it, I have also taken a lot of game with it and used it for bowfishing. To date 2008, it still looks good as new, cause in 83 I bought an extra set of MX limbs and Stainless steel wheels as a spare.

Todays Short bows and cams and all the other bells and whistles though nice and fast cannot compare to the quiet and accuracy of my old Cougar. I'll never part with it. In late 1989-1990 I bought a Martin Bengal, still have it, with the energy wheels, 43 inches 60-70 pounds, which I brought for hunting big game, after almost 20 years, it looks like I will need to replace the axles as they are getting a tad flat in areas.

With many replacing their bows for the newest and latest, doesn't make sense if your old standards still put an arrow in the X spot consistently and put meat on the table.

Martin bows, even the older ones like mine are still a contender I feel both on the Target range and in the bush. Now how many people can say that about any other 20-30 year old anything today, that still performs like the day it was taken out of the box.

I recently came in 1st winning another Tri Cities 3-D tourney this Oct 2008 in British Columbia with my Martin Bengal, beating everything from brand spanking new Hoyts to Mattews bows with scopes, stabs and all the bells and whistles.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I shoot instinctive! Our distances range from 10-50 meters as these photos will attest.

That in itself, speaks volumes about Martin Quality and their old and new bow.

Though over the years I have collected a dozen or so bows, everything from compounds like my new Hoyt Proelite, Oneida Aeroforce, High Country bows in addition to my Martins and Black Widow and Chekmate Recurve. The bow I miss the most as an all around small game bow was my 1980's wood riser Martin Warthog,which I stupidly traded in as part payment for my Bengal.

One day, I hope to find another Warthog from the 1980s, as any owner of one from that era will attest a fun bowful of memories.

hawgslayer
11-24-2008, 03:29 PM
slim, it's not the equipment whether it's a rifle, pistol, shotgun or bow that makes the shot...... IT'S THE PERSON BEHIND IT THAT MAKES THE SHOT!!!!!!
Good luck!!!!!!!

HAWGSLAYER...........

dlriggins
02-13-2009, 07:55 PM
hopefully the tech. involved with the new bows of the day have provided us with speed as well as unsurpassed accuracy I mean lets face it if accuracy was everything we would all hunt deer with a bb gun but lets be real my old martin is just as accurate as the day it was new but I made a slightly off shot this year and never found that deer and I cant help to think that if i only had a little more umph it would have passed into the chest cavity and down she would have went.

Dave K
03-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I too, am stuck in the '80's. I love my old Cougar 11 and old Warthog "A" Magnum. I like the longer length and the smoother draw that the newer bows don't seem to have. I am a finger shooter, so the longer length is ideal for me. I know they are not as fast as the newer bows, but the deer and bear don't know that. Actually I had sold those bows I mentioned and went to Oregon bows that I bought in '94. But, I have found good used Martins to replace those old bows. The worst part is getting parts like different wheels if you need them. The only way to get them is to salvage them from another bow. Soon I will have a pretty good inventory of parts, so that I will keep shooting these old bows as long as I am shooting. I hate to learn to shoot a new bow all over again and become "friends" with them. As far as "umph", I am shooting 63# with a 600gr. arrow and broadhead set up (2117's and Zwickey's). Unless I get a solid shoulder hit, the arrow is passing through and burying in the dirt. At least so far it has out to 40yds. I also though know the shoulder hit.:(

ranger53
04-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I'll never be able to get the top of the line stuff, but I really don't need it. When I got my jaguar in '03, I had accomplished something, at least I think so. It was my 1st single-cam bow and I was amazed how fast and accurate it is. I still have it too!;) I'm hoping that my new saber is as good as the jaguar. Martin definitely, builds bows for the working man!:D

Elk4me
06-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Martin builds excellent bows, I have shot some of the 08/09's and I still preffer my Rytera Bullet X and it is a few yrs old!

ranger53
06-13-2009, 11:32 PM
I just went and put a new string and cable and new sight on my '03 jaguar. Got it dialed in for twenty yds yesterday, with the tweaking of 30 and 40 yds to be taken care of this morning. ;) and it's dead nuts on.:D:cool:
Tommy

Road Rash
06-23-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm not old enough to be form then but my dad has had his cougar sense the late 80's and its gone through some pretty tuff stuff and it still shoots wonderfully. We got a 90's cougar elite for me to shoot because the newer bow cost quite a bit and the older bows are solid and I think shoot smoother.