PDA

View Full Version : Retro-fitting TRG to Shadowcat

CarlosII
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
I checked out the 2011 Shadowcat at the ATA and it looked to me as if the TRG system ought to fit the 2010. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know for sure whether or not it can be done?

2. Will Martin offer the TRG for sale for the 2010 Shadowcat?

It looks like a positive step to controlling torque and relieving limb stress.

SonnyThomas
01-10-2011, 04:39 PM
carlosII, did you notice the hole for it? Was it open, like a slotted hole, open on the side? For what I can see, I'm the same as you, it should work.

CarlosII
01-11-2011, 03:07 AM
i can't imagine they'd re-size the hole for the cable rod when they added the torque controller. so i suspect the new system fits the same size rod as the one in the 2010 Shadowcat.

the big question is, will Martin allow dealers to do the retro-fit.

you guys are martin dealers, Sonny. how about you give 'em a call? :D

archerx7
01-11-2011, 06:04 AM
The TRG uses a standard 3/8 carbon rod, the Shadowcat uses a 3/8 steel rod so they should interchange. The TRG is available through Martin dealers as part #8821 by itself or with the SOS as part #2011.

Seeing as the Shadowcats rod is a bent rod and can be adjusted to move the cables closer to the center, I'm not certain how much of an improvement the TRG would be over the factory setup since the TRG is basically nonadjustable. It is reatively inexpensive so you wouldn't be out much if you found the standard setup to work better.

SonnyThomas
01-11-2011, 06:38 AM
I did not mean a different size hole. On the Onza 3 the hole fwas open the full length/depth of it, side of the hole milled off - looking down the hole gave a closed C look.

archerx7
01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
I did not mean a different size hole. On the Onza 3 the hole fwas open the full length/depth of it, side of the hole milled off - looking down the hole gave a closed C look.

Gotcha , If you look at the full size pic of the shadowcat on the 2011 website, you'll see the TRG installed and the same 2 set screws on the shelf side of the bow that were used on the 2010's. I don't think they changed anything on the cat riser for 2011.

CarlosII
01-11-2011, 06:07 PM
One reason I was interested in the new system was because the rod on my 2010 will not rotate. Since I bought it used off AT I don't know a whole lot about its history, but the set screws seem to be slightly rounded off but not enough to prevent loosening the screws in order to rotate the bent rod. Something's up with this bow but I'm not sure what.

Thanks for all the replies.

BTW, any one know the part number for the new Hammerhead strings?

archerx7
01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
If you can get the set screws loose, the rod will rotate, but you need to have tension off the cables. If I remember correctly from the 2 that I had in the shop, the end of the rod that goes in the riser is knurled and if there is any side pressure on the rod, it is very difficult to rotate.

CarlosII
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
thanks archerx. I'll give that a try. i'd like to close the gap between the cable slide and the vanes. right now it looks like there's a lot of distance between the two.