PDA

View Full Version : Think my riser is cracked

BAhuntinPa
01-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I was wiping down my bow today and noticed what looks like a casting defect or a crack on my sabers riser. If it is cracked would the camo crack too or would the camo stretch across the crack. Here is a pic I dont know how well you can see though.

Simple Life
01-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Its hard to tell in the picture,but it sort of looks like a crack.Take a cotton ball and run it across the crack,usually the crack will grab bits of the cotton.The camo does crack.It could just be a casting defect.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-11-2011, 12:47 PM
It is hard to tell from the photo. The thing I would do is take it to a Martin dealer. Let them make the call if it is or not. I believe it is a magnesium riser and you don't need it to snap in half. A magnifying glass would help see it better. But if it were me I would let a pro shop handle it.

HUTCH

copterdoc
01-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Saber risers are known for breaking, but not there.

If there is a crack, the film dip will crack, not stretch.

The cotton ball method will not tell you anything. That's a good method for composites, but not metals.

I know a neat trick that will usually confirm a crack exists, but if the crack is really "tight" it can give a false negative.

Saturate the suspect area with denatured alcohol, and wipe it off quickly. The alcohol will dry from the surface instantly, but if the area around the inclusion stays wet and "shines", that means alcohol is seeping from the crack.

Simple Life
01-11-2011, 01:23 PM
The cotton ball method will not tell you anything. That's a good method for composites, but not metals.

Saturate the suspect area with denatured alcohol, and wipe it off quickly. The alcohol will dry from the surface instantly, but if the area around the inclusion stays wet and "shines", that means alcohol is seeping from the crack.

Nice to know;)Where do they normally crack?

BAhuntinPa
01-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys where do the sabers usually break thats a scary thought.

copterdoc
01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Below the grip.

archerx7
01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
The failure rate on the cast risers is very low. The only one I have actually seen break was on a hoyt many years ago. From what I have heard on the Jaguar/Sabers is if they do break, its usually at the grip area.

SonnyThomas
01-11-2011, 02:29 PM
For really bad cracks or broken risers, duct tape works great. :D

justin
01-11-2011, 03:21 PM
sonny may be on to something!!

Hutch~n~Son Archery
01-11-2011, 03:25 PM
I heard pink duct tape works the best.:rolleyes:

HUTCH